Austin

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Anything worth seeing in Austin? Visiting Texas next week and driving from Dallas to San Antonio. Any reason to stop in Austin other than charging my car and getting something to eat? Doing a couple days in Dallas and then an overnight in San Antonio to see the Alamo and the Riverwalk.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Anything worth seeing in Austin? Visiting Texas next week and driving from Dallas to San Antonio. Any reason to stop in Austin other than charging my car and getting something to eat? Doing a couple days in Dallas and then an overnight in San Antonio to see the Alamo and the Riverwalk.
If you're just there for a day at least go to the Texas Capitol as it is pretty cool. Barton Springs Pool in the middle of downtown (also next to Terry Black's BBQ) you can knock out some of the big things with a swiftness.

Downtown Austin is very small, all told, when compared to most metros.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If you're just there for a day at least go to the Texas Capitol as it is pretty cool. Barton Springs Pool in the middle of downtown (also next to Terry Black's BBQ) you can knock out some of the big things with a swiftness.

Downtown Austin is very small, all told, when compared to most metros.
Thanks.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you want a scenic drive, you can take interstate 281 instead of 35. It will take more time, but you will see more hill country. Although I'm not sure how nice it looks after a couple months of 100 degree temps. While 35 is still faster, it usually has a bunch of traffic and since it is a major north south corridor, it can have a mess of police, primarily looking for drug runners.

You can use google streetview to see if that's something you would be interested in.

Marble Falls and Horseshoe Bay area looks nice, but probably not a lot to do, for a stop. You could cut over to Fredericksburg if you want a touristy area. They have shopping type stuff and a bunch of wineries. You could also drive through LBJ ranch and see his amphibious car that he used to scare people with.

Also, 35E sucks, 35W is so much nicer; if the time difference is minimal, pick the 35W route.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If you want a scenic drive, you can take interstate 281 instead of 35. It will take more time, but you will see more hill country. Although I'm not sure how nice it looks after a couple months of 100 degree temps. While 35 is still faster, it usually has a bunch of traffic and since it is a major north south corridor, it can have a mess of police, primarily looking for drug runners.

You can use google streetview to see if that's something you would be interested in.

Marble Falls and Horseshoe Bay area looks nice, but probably not a lot to do, for a stop. You could cut over to Fredericksburg if you want a touristy area. They have shopping type stuff and a bunch of wineries. You could also drive through LBJ ranch and see his amphibious car that he used to scare people with.

Also, 35E sucks, 35W is so much nicer; if the time difference is minimal, pick the 35W route.
Thanks. Doing the drive from Dallas to San Antonio next Saturday so hopefully weekend traffic is lighter. I was just curious if Austin was worth the stop along the way. Life experience has told me that almost all State Capitols tend to be boring and skippable.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thanks. Doing the drive from Dallas to San Antonio next Saturday so hopefully weekend traffic is lighter. I was just curious if Austin was worth the stop along the way. Life experience has told me that almost all State Capitols tend to be boring and skippable.
I find all cities boring and skippable. I would rather go to the outskirts of Houston to walk on the USS Texas, or Corpus Christi to walk the USS Lexington, than set foot in Austin or San Antonio again.

Regardless, here are a few more thoughts on the Austin area:

The LBJ presidential library is in Austin, if you want a historical thing. It was alright. It has a decent museum and interesting architecture. If you know about LBJ, there isn't much to learn in the museum, but it does have "artifacts" to look at.

Lake Travis is the best thing in the Austin area, but I'm not sure the best way to see it. Rent a boat, I guess.

Touristy Austin is a food, alcohol, and live music. You could always just stop for lunch at one of the good Texas BBQ restaurants downtown. It wouldn't take too long and you kinda get to see where some of the Austin music scene happens. I think Furry Furry knows the good places downtown.

If you have a few people to drink with and want to make a day of it, you could get up real early and go float the Guadalupe river in New Braunfels or go to the highly rated water park there, Schlitterbahn. After a day of floating in the sun, it's only about 30 min or so to downtown San Antonio. It's not my thing, but I know tons of people love it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I find all cities boring and skippable. I would rather go to the outskirts of Houston to walk on the USS Texas, or Corpus Christi to walk the USS Lexington, than set foot in Austin or San Antonio again.

Regardless, here are a few more thoughts on the Austin area:

The LBJ presidential library is in Austin, if you want a historical thing. It was alright. It has a decent museum and interesting architecture. If you know about LBJ, there isn't much to learn in the museum, but it does have "artifacts" to look at.

Lake Travis is the best thing in the Austin area, but I'm not sure the best way to see it. Rent a boat, I guess.

Touristy Austin is a food, alcohol, and live music. You could always just stop for lunch at one of the good Texas BBQ restaurants downtown. It wouldn't take too long and you kinda get to see where some of the Austin music scene happens. I think Furry Furry knows the good places downtown.

If you have a few people to drink with and want to make a day of it, you could get up real early and go float the Guadalupe river in New Braunfels or go to the highly rated water park there, Schlitterbahn. After a day of floating in the sun, it's only about 30 min or so to downtown San Antonio. It's not my thing, but I know tons of people love it.
Im thinking a quick bite while the car charges and maybe a quick walk around. Then jet down to San Antonio and the Alamo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user