Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The Blu-Ray for this as well as the 4k version of Avatar 1 went on sale last night. June 20th release date.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Does anyone actually know someone that saw this in theaters? Everyone I know saw the first one in theaters, but absolutely none of them saw this.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I did. It was a full theater. I went opening night, but only saw it that one time.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
2031?

James Cameron, should be thinking of "will he still be around", as he's not a young guy anymore.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Does anyone actually know someone that saw this in theaters? Everyone I know saw the first one in theaters, but absolutely none of them saw this.
From reading about the movie, in this thread, I think I would rather rewatch Avatar 1: The White Man's Burden again than see this in a theater. If Netflix or Amazon Prime get this, I'll probably watch it, but I'm in no hurry.

Juvarisx

Florida

Yea I went to a screening that had the proper Imax Stadium + HFR water sequences etc. It really was quite the spectacle and recommended that way of viewing at the time and I still do if they do a re-release.

Story was shit but as an amusement park ride hooooooooooly shit it looked and sounded great.

Cybsled

That was the way I considered the first movie: it was more the 3D experience that was great and immersive

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yea I went to a screening that had the proper Imax Stadium + HFR water sequences etc. It really was quite the spectacle and recommended that way of viewing at the time and I still do if they do a re-release.

Story was shit but as an amusement park ride hooooooooooly shit it looked and sounded great.
I wasn't reading up on it. Did they change the water sequences at some point? I remember that it was a visually stunning movie the day it came out, but I was content after that. Especially after the children saying "bro" all the time. It reminded me too much of the people in Hawaii.

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
The visuals were absolutely amazing but the story was bad. Atleast it wasn't "Dances with Wolves" in space like the first one. Basically the only thing this movie has going for it is the visuals.

The modern language took me out of the experience. "Bro" and "that's sic".
Fucking dumb.

Juvarisx

Florida
I wasn't reading up on it. Did they change the water sequences at some point? I remember that it was a visually stunning movie the day it came out, but I was content after that. Especially after the children saying "bro" all the time. It reminded me too much of the people in Hawaii.

I don't think the movie changed but there was only so many theaters that could support IMAX 3D Stadium HFR , and if you saw it pretty much in that exact way the water sequences were probably the best looking thing movie wise ever made. But movies don't stay in the same auditorium forever so it would look worse otherwise.

I mean yea the movie's story and writing is whatever, but the first Avatar was too but that got the benefit of being something that was completely new regardless of where the inspirations were from. I will give the second some credit for making the last hour feel like it had stakes, and it really was an impressive action ender for being as long as it was, but yea the story / writing isn't really anything special.

Really though these movies get to do a few things for James Cameron that is probably the only reason he isn't exploring some shipwreck in the Mariana Trench or some shit.
1) Gets to push and innovate filming techniques (Way of Water revolutionized filming underwater apparently and it does show even if it was motion capture)

2) He gets to play around in his favorite environment water

3) Gets to make what he wants, how he wants for however expensive he wants, over whatever period of time he wants. Dude had Fox and now Disney wrapped around his finger, what other filmmaker can make a $1 billion dollar movie and make a return of 1.5. Look at this shit its stupid (btw the Participations is more or less Cameron's salary for directing it, he gets a cut)

1686756241419.png

4) Yes the dude is an environmentalist, and has been for a long time so he gets to spread the message through his movies even if we think its faggy.

Last edited:

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Atleast it wasn't "Dances with Wolves" in space like the first one.
I dunno. Traveling to another star system to harvest space whales exactly like19th century whalers when you have the ability to perfectly clone them is some insanely retarded writing.

I think the plot of these movies is so fucking retarded its beyond comprehension for most people so it just registers as "not good".

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I watched this again last night on a 3D Blu-ray. Out was still a remarkable movie that was visually stunning. Especially anything that happens in the water.
The only down side is it doesn't fit onto a single 3d Blu-ray disc. They had a "plead chance to disc 2 to continue" message with an hour top go.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
How does a movie that made this much fucking money have Z E R O cultural impact in either merchandising or memes?

How??!?!?

How GIF

spronk

FPS noob
it was an amusement park ride, not really a movie. families went to ooh and ahh at the CGI and screen and sound. one helluva expensive ride but helluva lot cheaper than going to disney world now

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
it was an amusement park ride, not really a movie. families went to ooh and ahh at the CGI and screen and sound. one helluva expensive ride but helluva lot cheaper than going to disney world now
The ride was made after the movie.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Cameron is getting a little Lucas-y as he ages, dialogue and script need some other writers to work on it otherwise they will all be a fancy light show.