Avowed

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Qhue

Trump's Staff
It really does look like an Elder Scrolls game that's for damn sure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I really hope it's not gonna be like arx fatalis where you have to "paint the magical symbols" with the mouse. That was such an annoying mechanic. Otherwise, it's cool if they are expanding on the PoE campaign setting, hopefully one of the other kingdoms. I'm torn though because Obsidian has been showing a lot of wokeness, and as such should not be supported. The whole "tun heroes into queens and kings" sounds pretty sjw.

Argarth

On the verandah
With MS buying them, I sincerely hope that Obsidian are at the beginning of a full blown renaissance as a Studio. I couldn't be happier for them.

And as far as this game goes, I know next to nothing about it, but I'm fucking stoked that it actually exists.

Chris

Potato del Grande
How is heroes becoming royalty 'woke'?
Everyone says "King and Queen" not "Queen and King".

That they cared enough to flip the order means an SJW is involved.

• 2Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Going after Elder scrolls for sure. I have to say , pillars of eternity 2 is really good. I have been playing it beside Pathfinder kingmaker, and the latter doesn't hold a candle.... D&D/Pathfinder are always good., but I really enjoy the POe2 system, more interesting spells and such

Look forward to seeing this title for sure !

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
bump. day 1 gamepass. 2024 release date announced.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Reminds me so much of Dark Messiah, really looking forward to this.

• 1Like

Caliane

An article with some sobering details.

CEO Feargus Urquhart told me that in scope Avowed is more akin to Obsidian's past RPGs like The Outer Worlds in size than it is a sprawling open world a la Skyrim, though that was actually Obsidian's initial pitch
Exclusive: Avowed started as Obsidian's Skyrim, but evolved to focus on depth over breadth, 'where Obsidian really shines'

You can play as a human or an elf, but not other races
The world is lightly systemic: think water and lightning interactions, but not the ol' bucket-on-the-head trick
In most of our games companions have been optional, which I think offers a wonderful degree of choice to players, but it means there's a limit to how deeply you can tie them into the core story. With Avowed we decided companions are going to be core.

they repeatedly go on about how companions are very important. like outright the focus of the game almost.

Avowed reddit is also bitching about being too colorful, and the art design.

velk

Trakanon Raider
The trailer is a bit meh - the only thing I thought looked cool was the black hole spell.

Still, I've liked all their games except Outer Worlds, and even that wasn't *that* bad.

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
An article with some sobering details.

Exclusive: Avowed started as Obsidian's Skyrim, but evolved to focus on depth over breadth, 'where Obsidian really shines'

they repeatedly go on about how companions are very important. like outright the focus of the game almost.

Avowed reddit is also bitching about being too colorful, and the art design

am I the only one with a issue on the size of the game. That was the worst part of outer worlds it was so short for a rpg

• 1Like

Caliane

the outer worlds is on gamepass. I paused my wrath of the righteous 2nd play to check it out.

Avowed seemed to have made some odd choices. copying TES combat first off. the combat is like the worst aspect of TES Games. why copy that? at the same time, doing so, puts expectations on people of what to expect from the game.. then you tell us its not an open world immersive sim. well after the teases. thats obviously just a huge mistake.

Personally I think its too early to bitch about the size. would you complain about the "size" of planescape, or majoras mask? or what about midgar in ff7? or ultima underworld Shrinking the game world to 1-3 locations, to have a much tighter, and intricate dynamics within the locations is a reasonable thing. The worrisome thing here is they aren't SAYING that. if they were talking about the city and the interpersonal relationships of the people and factions there over and over, I think there would be less complaining. poe2 was pretty heavy on faction dynamics, and companion relationships. but again, they aren't actually saying this... so.. maybe this isn't what they are doing..

the human/elf pc only seems like a terrible choice. I'll admit...99% of the time, I play humans or half elves, haha. teifling, or fearie, on occasion. so I can understand it, if they are hurting for cash, and really need to limit dialogue options... I'm willing to bet that 99% applies to the general pop, if you check out data. but man. what an opposite of a selling point.

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
the outer worlds is on gamepass. I paused my wrath of the righteous 2nd play to check it out.

Avowed seemed to have made some odd choices. copying TES combat first off. the combat is like the worst aspect of TES Games. why copy that? at the same time, doing so, puts expectations on people of what to expect from the game.. then you tell us its not an open world immersive sim. well after the teases. thats obviously just a huge mistake.

Personally I think its too early to bitch about the size. would you complain about the "size" of planescape, or majoras mask? or what about midgar in ff7? or ultima underworld Shrinking the game world to 1-3 locations, to have a much tighter, and intricate dynamics within the locations is a reasonable thing. The worrisome thing here is they aren't SAYING that. if they were talking about the city and the interpersonal relationships of the people and factions there over and over, I think there would be less complaining. poe2 was pretty heavy on faction dynamics, and companion relationships. but again, they aren't actually saying this... so.. maybe this isn't what they are doing..

the human/elf pc only seems like a terrible choice. I'll admit...99% of the time, I play humans or half elves, haha. teifling, or fearie, on occasion. so I can understand it, if they are hurting for cash, and really need to limit dialogue options... I'm willing to bet that 99% applies to the general pop, if you check out data. but man. what an opposite of a selling point.
They mentioned how the combat is “should be better” then TES better in a fps like is looks like “dark messiah of might and magic” cause of that kick animation in the trailer

what other races does the pillars of eternity have

Caliane

They mentioned how the combat is “should be better” then TES better in a fps like is looks like “dark messiah of might and magic” cause of that kick animation in the trailer

what other races does the pillars of eternity have
pillars has 4 kinds of humans, 2 elves, orlans, which are furry halflings. 2 dwarves. 2 Aumaua, which are scaly human/fishmen. coastal Aumaua are blue fishmen, island aumaua are brown fishmen. godlikes are humans cursed/blessed at birth by specific gods of the world, to act as batteries/hosts. they have features that reflect the god in question.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
So stupid... parties/companions are the worst in first-person games, and then you make it the focus?

"As the game begins, your character arrives in a remote corner of the world of Eora called the Living Lands as an envoy of the Aedyr Empire, where you've been sent to investigate a mysterious plague. "Not everybody in the Living Lands is super thrilled to have an imperial presence in this far-flung land," she said. "So adventure ensues.""

Great, more places to shove in woke points by wokesidian.