Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 (Jan 8-15)

Szlia

The Mario runs about to start! It should be good! This stuff is so ridiculously optimized.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

yeah, I am pretty pleased with that doom 2016 run.

although, future runs just "break out of bounds faster". probably wont be superfun/interesting.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The breakout of bounds stuff is cool sometimes but I really prefer traditional runs

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

yeah, theres a fine line at times. clipping and glitching can be fun. but, when its just, whelp. break out of the map, and run to the end, it gets boring fast.
conversely. "you are just playing the game normal" is also often boring. A bit too many of those at times as well.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Final Fantasy 1 was the most boring game wow.

The guy that talked non stop was super knowledgeable though damn. It was like he coded the game.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Final Fantasy 1 was the most boring game wow.

The guy that talked non stop was super knowledgeable though damn. It was like he coded the game.

I'm teaching a Game Design Principles class this semester and i'm giving an assignment were they have to watch one of the streams and discuss the exploits/glitches they used to achieve some of these runs. You would be surprised how many of these runners will give credit to people who did get down into the code level of the game and discover the algorithms such as Zelda 1 that allowed them determine bomb drops and force them. I wouldn't doubt if the FF guy wasn't familiar with the game to that degree either himself or through others research.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Oh for sure. He was resetting after certain battles to force different battles based on arrays in memory

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
probably a tranny tbh, this is AGDQ we're talking about.

with that said I'd still eat the ass

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm so torn on the Final Fantasy/various jrpg "speed" runs. It's pretty awesome in a lot of ways the level of knowledge and mapping it takes these dudes to do it, but holy fuck they are like 4+ hours long of grinding mobs and walking around and 8-bit map and it's just booooooring.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
They're definitely not things to actually WATCH. At most I have them on in the background, but that's most of AGDQ anyway. The RPG runs are arguably better for that since the most interesting parts are them talking usually.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
One thing that bugs me a lot is most of those runs are Puwexil and essentia. She's either silent or cringey and he talks nonstop with that weird pretentious sounding voice.

I usually throw them in the background too which is how I watched Ff1 last night