Ayn Rand

Sterling

El Presidente
In fairness Snyder's best stuff is from more fleshed out source material with Watchmen and 300. That said, this isn't particularly good source material and it's likely going to be shit.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So i decided to actually give Atlas Shrugged a read. I was not impressed, Whittaker Chambers famous review for National Review does an excellent job describing it imo.

Big Sister Is Watching You | National Review

It's just a political tract disguised as mediocre fiction for one.

The mischief here is that the author, dodging into fiction, nevertheless counts on your reading it as political reality. This,” she is saying in effect, “is how things really are. These are the real issues, the real sides. Only your blindness keeps you from seeing it, which, happily, I have come to rescue you from.”

Bland one dimensional characters

The Children of Light are largely operatic caricatures. Insofar as any of them suggests anything known to the business community, they resemble the occasional curmudgeon millionaire, tales about whose outrageously crude and shrewd eccentricities sometimes provide the lighter moments in boardrooms. Otherwise, the Children of Light are geniuses

In Atlas Shrugged, all this debased inhuman riffraff is lumped as “looters.” This is a fairly inspired epithet. It enables the author to skewer on one invective word everything and everybody that she fears and hates. This spares her the playguy business of performing one service that her fiction might have performed, namely: that of examining in human depth how so feeble a lot came to exist at all, let alone be powerful enough to be worth hating and fearing.

But most important Chambers does an excellent job or writing about the disturbing nature of Mrs. Rands political theories and how similar they are to the ideologies she obviously hates.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
On her beliefs - Evva Pryor, Rands lawyer, being interviewed :

McConnell: How and when did you meet Ayn Rand?

Pryor: It was around 1976 when I worked as a consultant for her attorneys, Ernst, Cane, Gitlin & Winick. My masters degree was in social work, and I had been with Mobilization for Youth and was also teaching at NYY as an adjunct [instructor] and working as a consultant to a number of other organizations. A problem came up, and her attorneys asked me if I would meet with her.

McConnell: What was the problem?

Pryor: She was “retiring,” and Paul Gitlin and Gene Winick, her attorneys, felt she should discuss applying for Social Security and Medicare. The office asked that I go over and talk with her about it.

McConnell: Tell me about your first meeting with Ayn Rand and how these matters developed.

Pryor: I had read enough to know that she despised government interference, and that she felt that people should and could live independently. She was coming to a point in her life where she was going to receive the very thing she didn’t like, which was Medicare and Social Security.

I remember telling her that this was going to be difficult. For me to do my job, she had to recognize that there were exceptions to her theory. So that started our politial discussions. From there on – with gusto – we argued all the time the initial argument was on greed. She had to see that there was such a thing as greed in this world. Doctors could cost an awful lot more money than books earn, and she could be totally wiped out by medical bills if she didn’t watch it. Since she had worked her entire life and had paid into Social Security, she had a right to it. She didn’t feel that an individual should take help.

McConnell: And did she agree with you about Medicare and Social Security?

Pryor: After several meetings and arguments, she gave me her power of attorney to deal with all matters having to do with health and Social Security. Whether she agreed or not is not the issue, she saw the necessity for both her and Frank. She was never involved other than to sign the power of attorney; I did the rest.

Rand received social security from 1974 until 1982

• 1Dislike

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I hate when people think social security and unemployment are handouts. You paid into that shit your whole life...take it. If someone is uber rich and doesn’t want it great, but otherwise...take it.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Genuine question, not pre judging the answer - how does the billions of dollars of your taxes being paid in the farmers bailouts sit with the folk who believe in unregulated free markets ?

• 1Picard

yersinia

Lord Nagafen Raider
Good intro to here available free on line is anthem. Read Atlas shrugged at 14, and later read it aloud to my son over dinner

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
I hate when people think social security and unemployment are handouts. You paid into that shit your whole life...take it. If someone is uber rich and doesn’t want it great, but otherwise...take it.
Employer pays unemployment insurance..... It's the entire reason employers go through the verbal, written, final, terminated crap because even though they know a person is not going to work out they have to jump through the ESD bullshit or watch their unemployment insurance rate go up next year....

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
On her beliefs - Evva Pryor, Rands lawyer, being interviewed :

McConnell: How and when did you meet Ayn Rand?

Pryor: It was around 1976 when I worked as a consultant for her attorneys, Ernst, Cane, Gitlin & Winick. My masters degree was in social work, and I had been with Mobilization for Youth and was also teaching at NYY as an adjunct [instructor] and working as a consultant to a number of other organizations. A problem came up, and her attorneys asked me if I would meet with her.

McConnell: What was the problem?

Pryor: She was “retiring,” and Paul Gitlin and Gene Winick, her attorneys, felt she should discuss applying for Social Security and Medicare. The office asked that I go over and talk with her about it.

McConnell: Tell me about your first meeting with Ayn Rand and how these matters developed.

Pryor: I had read enough to know that she despised government interference, and that she felt that people should and could live independently. She was coming to a point in her life where she was going to receive the very thing she didn’t like, which was Medicare and Social Security.

I remember telling her that this was going to be difficult. For me to do my job, she had to recognize that there were exceptions to her theory. So that started our politial discussions. From there on – with gusto – we argued all the time the initial argument was on greed. She had to see that there was such a thing as greed in this world. Doctors could cost an awful lot more money than books earn, and she could be totally wiped out by medical bills if she didn’t watch it. Since she had worked her entire life and had paid into Social Security, she had a right to it. She didn’t feel that an individual should take help.

McConnell: And did she agree with you about Medicare and Social Security?

Pryor: After several meetings and arguments, she gave me her power of attorney to deal with all matters having to do with health and Social Security. Whether she agreed or not is not the issue, she saw the necessity for both her and Frank. She was never involved other than to sign the power of attorney; I did the rest.

Rand received social security from 1974 until 1982
I'm confused. Is this supposed to mean Ayn is a hypocrite or something?

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm confused. Is this supposed to mean Ayn is a hypocrite or something?
flight after 3 years
dave-chappelle-gotcha-bitch.gif

• 1Worf