Backwards Compatibility - Is it really that important?

Sean_sl

shitlord
So, I was thinking about what to leave hooked up to my receiver when the next generation comes and I had a thought: Have I ever really used the backwards compatibility of my PS3? I think I only ever actually used it once or twice. Thus, I wondered why people seem to make a big deal about it. Granted, I know I'm not a normal with my gaming habits; I almost never replay games. There's probably less than 10 that I actually have replayed out of the many hundreds (maybe in the thousand range now) that I have played.

Imighthave used it more if I had bought a PS3 at launch, since there were still PS2 RPGs being released a year or two into the PS3's life, but if it wasn't there I'd probably just have kept my PS2 out until they stopped releasing games for it. Now with the PS4 coming out (which I will be buying on release) and not having BC (at launch anyways, it possibly will in the future via streaming) I'mprobablygoing to have to leave my PS3 hooked up for at least a 1-3 years until small Japanese studios stop making games on it and switch over to making PS4 games. Though I hope with the PS4 being infinitely easier to program for that they switch over faster than before or possibly even make cross-generation games.

If I wasn't in to those titles though, I'd probably just immediately store my PS3 away. So how much do you guys really care about BC and how much have youactuallyused it? When you pick up a X720 (assuming that it won't have BC, we don't know yet) or PS4 will you immediately store your X360s/PS3s away or will you keep them hooked up?

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
It's a nice idea, but expensive and difficult to implement properly. Even the launch version fat PS3s had at least 2 frames of added input lag on PS2 games, which is basically a deal breaker.

I'd rather they just keep costs down.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I wouldn't say it's important, but I suppose it's a nice to have. I've always just used my actual PS2 for my PS2 games so the backwards compatibility was never an issue. I've bought a bunch of PS1/PS2 games from Playstation store though, I'm all for them converting older games to be played (emulated) on modern platforms.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Voted yes for a simple reason: I've invested a bunch of money into media (both games and movies). If I can buy a system that's backwards compatible (e.g. 1st gen PS3), I will do it every single time. It saves me having to hook up one of everything to play games/movies/whatever.

I won't off myself if a system isn't backwards compatible, but I will go out of my way to buy one that is before the same system that isn't (e.g. latest PS3, which uses less power, is far cheaper, but isn't backwards compatible).

Assuming I buy an X720 and a PS4, which is likely, I will keep both my PS3 (for PS 1/2/3 games) and X360 (for 360/original games and HDDVD) hooked up, probably for a very long time.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
"Nice to have" I guess. I can see the new Xbox having an easier time with it due to it most likely being yet another "PC in a box" (I can still play some original Xbox games on my Xbox 360) while the cell processor will fuck it up for PS3/PS4. Will most likely keep both my Xbox 360 and PS3 connected the first year tho since Im pretty sure I will be starved of games for the new systems for a bit.

Honestly tho, if they would sell a PS4 with bc, I would not bother if it cost more. A year into the new system almost all games from the previous generation will be stored with EQ in the "pink glasses of nostalgia" compartment.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I couldn't possibly care less about BC in consoles. I also don't run out and buy the new one until it actually has a library of games worth bothering with, so the fact that there will be a good number of must-play PS3 titles coming out after the PS4 is released doesn't bother me either.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
With emulators it's really irrelevant. With the console online stores re-releasing shit, it's not in their best interest. It's Russel's console, not a teapot. Pretty tough to argue the negative let alone create a thread around it. But it sure will piss off the folks who think it is important. Kudos.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
The reason I like backwards compatibility is because it means I have instant access to a huge library of games the instant I purchase a new console rather than depending on the significantly smaller library of the new one. Since I skipped the PS3, it'd be great to buy the PS4 and not only be able to buy PS3 games I'd missed, but save money on game purchases by doing so. Though, to be completely honest, if I had a PS3 right along, I'd probably care a lot less, especially if it meant the PS4 would be cheaper.

I look forward to the day where backwards compatibility isn't really an issue since everything will be available digitally and they can have the previous generation's game available in the online store. I was hoping we'd see that with this generation of consoles.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
No.

At the start its nice since many of the next gen titles aren't really next gen tittles. So playing previous gen on the system isn't a far stretch. That is pretty short lived though and not worth the development costs to make it happen.

Fadaar

That guy
One of the main reasons I like having PC as my primary source of gaming. Want to play an old game from the 90's? No problem, Compatibility Mode ftw. That being said, I do like being able to play older games on my PS3 and 360. Still some PS1 games that I like to go back and play (FF7, 8, 9).

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've probably played more PS2 games on my PS3 than I've played PS3 games. Mainly because PS3 exclusives blow (don't worry I also think Xbox exclusives blow too) and I play any multi-platform game on my PC anyways.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I love backwards compatibility. I think there should be an option to buy a more expensive machine. :\

Xalara

Golden Squire
By my estimation, backwards compatibility is one of those features that everyone says they want but not many people use.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'd much rather have "licenses" being sold, and the ability to download the older titles emulated on the newer consoles later on. And being able to play multiplayer games with friends on different consoles as well. Than true "backwards" compatibility which just ups the dev time and cost of the machine.

joz123

Potato del Grande
No. The few games on PS2 I really cared about playing have been released on PSN or are getting HD remakes which is even better.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Backwards Compatibility is not really that important, however it is the difference between playing games that I never got to originally and not playing them. I can remember 4 or 5 different cases where I would have wanted BC on my PS3 but was just not going to go get my PS2 out of storage and plug it in no matter what.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm going to be pretty fucking annoyed if all of my XBLA games don't work on the new Xbox. In that sense (much like apps/games on the iDevices, it's not even an option for them to not include it) I think backwards compatibility is much more important now than it has been in previous generations. All of these purchases are tied to our accounts and not the console/disk/cartridge; people will expect those to carry over just like the account itself does.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Any ps1 games I just buy from psn and I never play any of my ps2 games anyway. My only issue is that there are some ps3 games I'm interested in that are coming out around the same time as the ps4 release and for neatness sakes I only really like having one system hooked up at a time. So it's nice but I'd much rather have a cheaper system so I'd be willing to forgo BC.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It's not a decision maker for me, but I do want it. I still play games from the 90s and even the 80s. The more backwards compatible a system is, the better in my opinion. Like one poster said, one great thing about the PC is loading up emulated ancient games. I still play Master of Magic for example. I have my PS2 hooked up right next to my PS3, and I've played it more recently than either the PS3 or my 360.