Bad Times at the El Royale (2018)

Muurloen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
42d 20h 50m
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Bad Times at the El Royale (2018)

Tagline: All roads lead here

Genre: Thriller, Crime, Mystery, Drama

Director: Drew Goddard

Cast: Jeff Bridges, Cynthia Erivo, Dakota Johnson, Jon Hamm, Chris Hemsworth, Cailee Spaeny, Lewis Pullman, Nick Offerman, Xavier Dolan, Shea Whigham, Mark O'Brien, Charles Halford, Jim O'Heir, Gerry Nairn, Alvina August, London Morrison, Bethany Brown, Rebecca Toolan, Hannah Zirke, Billy Wickman, Charlotte Mosby, William B. Davis, Manny Jacinto, Tally Rodin, Sophia Lauchlin Hirt, Jonathan Whitesell, Synto D. Misati, Austin Abell, Katharine Isabelle, Sarah Smyth

Release: 2018-10-04

Runtime: 142

Plot: Lake Tahoe, 1969. Seven strangers, each one with a secret to bury, meet at El Royale, a decadent motel with a dark past. In the course of a fateful night, everyone will have one last shot at redemption.

Reactions: chthonic-anemos

Attog

Molten Core Raider
2d 14h 49m
This made top 10 worst movies of the year in my local newspapers annual list.

Wombat

Lord Nagafen Raider
4d 19h 55m
Look, everyone loves Cabin in the Woods (which Goddard co-wrote and had his first directing credit on). But the question was always how much of Cabin was him, and how much was Joss Whedon (who co-wrote and was credited as a second unit director).

The entirely Whedon-free El Royale verifies that... Cabin was mostly Whedon.

It's by no means bad - Goddard can write a twist, as even a brief skim of his Buffy/Angel/Lost credits will attest - but all the wit and charm of Cabin is missing.

I would peg it around my fifth favorite movie I saw in 2018 (admittedly, a small list), but there's no surprise this didn't become a cult classic like Cabin.

nu_11

Lord Nagafen Raider
9d 12h 23m
This movie is good. Not great, however.

I agree with Wombat.

Goddard worked on Cabin in the Woods (2011) and The Martian. I expected more from this movie overall. I can't believe this was his directorial debut movie.

Fucker

Golden Knight of the Realm
11d 3h 10m
Then your paper has no taste.
When you can't do anything, become a teacher. When you are bad at being a teacher, become a critic. When you are a bad critic, become a child molester or a critic for a small newspaper.

Reactions: Muurloen

Dandai

Likes beer
<Donors Crew>
25d 5h 37m
I thought the movie was -ok-. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t particularly good either. It’s worth a watch if you don’t have anything else in your queue.

Attog

Molten Core Raider
2d 14h 49m
Well I'm happy to hear that the paper was wrong and this is good. I had avoided it but I'll definitely check it out now.

Reactions: Muurloen

sike

Golden Squire
4d 10h 8m
I thought this film was awesome, very surprised after I saw it on a plane to see how the majority of reviews were poor.

Reactions: Chanur

Chanur

Not Soygen
<Donor All-Stars>
42d 4h 36m
I thought this film was awesome, very surprised after I saw it on a plane to see how the majority of reviews were poor.
I also loved it even though it wasn't exactly what I was expecting.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database