Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
IMO you really want your character to be a caster of some sort, pure melee just can't compete later on.
Sure, but if he cant even get past the first game, what classes are best in the second one doesn't really matter. Wizards have that hockey stick power curve, so they can be rather boring for the first 1/3 of BG1 or longer.

Is there a respec mod for BG2? You could just do melee for the first game, then respec to Wizard for the second, once you import the save.

Honestly, for the first play through, you don't miss THAT much, just staring a new character for BG2 (it's like 11 items (that will be replaced in the first third of BG2) and 1 good semi-joke item that you get in the BG2 xpac, ToB). The main thing you get from playing BG1 before BG2 is all the story stuff for the followers and player character.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It'd be fine for the reasons Vorph stated. There's good itemization in BG for a large variety of weapons. Maces/flails are very powerful in particular.

I don't really agree with this. Going through BG1/2 on normal mode and without the stupid mods I play with you can pretty much set your party up to be the support around a big dick swinging berserker and do very well and with satisfying gameplay.
Yeah I did BG2 on a solo Barbarian run years ago and I killed most of the hard stuff even without the ability to use magic items. Certain fights had to be cheesed though.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Is there a respec mod for BG2? You could just do melee for the first game, then respec to Wizard for the second, once you import the save.
not sure if this is the latest tool to use but I used EE Keeper Project for decades. I've never had a problem respeccing, even in egregious cases where I respec to unlock a quest line, or respec party members to impossible combinations (like, cleric/ranger multiclass with an archer kit or some bullshit).

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
I played through both games as a Kensai, which is fighter/wizard right?

It's good in both games.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Why do you think this?

I sometimes wonder how big releases impact absurdly massive servers. I wonder how much of a blip Steam gets every week from big game releases and how much it changes bandwidth compared to say, EST 6PM when Americans get home from work and power up their PCs and get updates in whatever game they're actively playing.

Because its what the Larian guys said on Dropped Frames when they were talking about release day and they mentioned originally wanting to release earlier.

I don't know or really think its going to really blast Steam, but I assume that is why Steam releases most AAA games between 10am and 1pm Eastern Time (even if like the console launch is global midnight), so they can monitor things.

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
They are now recommending that early access people delete all saves and then the game itself ahead of time to help prevent any file conflict issues.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
They are now recommending that early access people delete all saves and then the game itself ahead of time to help prevent any file conflict issues.
I was wondering what they were gonna do with the save files. They're annoyingly stuffed in appdata.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider

Talking your way out of fights confirmed to give XP so you don't fall behind levels, bards the best at this.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've never played a game like this. I like it allows you the freedom to be as retarded as you want. Like stealing the idol in front of the druids for near instant death.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've never played a game like this. I like it allows you the freedom to be as retarded as you want. Like stealing the idol in front of the druids for near instant death.
that is THE draw of dnd. the game is only as fun as the players are creative

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What do you do with it if you succeed in stealing it?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

Birth of a murder hobo.

"Alright, how can I win this fight"

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Blueweed

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone wanting to play but staying on the side until a few patches later... Big game, progression bugs etc. Or given the longish early access thinks it's good to go on day 1?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Been waiting years to stick my dick in this. So its balls deep on day one and their patches will be nice later.

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
fuck the incels still playing EA

cwsob974xkfb1.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
I thought this one was pretty funny and does a good overview of the types of shenanigans you can get up to.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Anyone wanting to play but staying on the side until a few patches later... Big game, progression bugs etc. Or given the longish early access thinks it's good to go on day 1?

EA is around 30-35 hours if you do everything in Act1. And like DOS2, they've had feedback for that for years. However, they have added 33% more to it, which hasn't been in EA so not sure if that is as polished. The rest of the game .. who knows. DOS2 was fantastic for act 1, act 2 had some bugs, and act 3 was broken. Took them 6? months after release to fix act 3. 1-2 years after the "definitive" edition came out, which they had for both DOS1 and 2, which was the final fixed edition.

Hopefully they've learned a lot from DOS2. Though as this game has far more choices than DOS2, I wouldn't be surprised to encounter bugs or events not triggering right in the later stages. My guess is that the dark urge will probably have the most bugs at launch, seeing as it could have such a massive effect on the game with you killing party members, critical npcs and the likes.

• 1Like