Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
But yeah overall all of the male characters coming onto you like Saturday night at the gay bar is just really annoying. Contrasted by the female characters all being completely psycho. The companions are just not as good or as memorable. I do like Lae'Zel and Shadowheart the most. When you have them both in the same party they bitch at eachother constantly. Yet another sign that women wrote all of this lol.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Point Im making is the dudes seem to go out of their way to make sexual advances towards your characters, but the women you actually have to work for it? ... Well, nm, maybe that is real life in some situations.

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

I picked up this game because one of my friends did, and we're running a Big Gay Multiplayer Campaign in addition to our own single-player campaigns.

I'm still relatively early on (level 3). Of the men so far:
Karlach: Don't have him yet.
Wyll: Hasn't hit on me.
Astarion: He is very camp, but it seems like he calls pretty much everyone in the party "darling", not just you. It doesn't seem like he goes out of his way to pursue you
e.g. after he is revealed as a spawn, he'll only bite you again if you expressly give him permission to. And if he engages you in his whole dialogue about who you want to bite, it seems like you specifically need to pick him if you want to pursue romance with him.
Gale: I have gotten to the Weave scene, and I do agree with others that this felt out of left field/poorly written. I basically agreed to do some magic with him because I rolled a Bard, and my character was academically curious about differences between Bard magic, Wizard magic, etc. I cut it off when the game started talking about it getting "intimate," felt like he was coming on way too strong.
Withers: :trollface:

Also, Copper Dragonborn is super underrated aesthetically; they look great.

image_2023-08-05_02-39-49.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They have all hit on me at this point, man or women. Laezel is the bitch though, at least at first. Shadow is all secret secret. So at least in those terms the 2 female, so far, are more off putting,attitude wise, compared to the men who both were friendly right out of the gate. The 2 females I had to work towards it. They are all psycho though, each with problems galore. One could say that mirrors RL almost too well.

Almost tempted to turn Astorion into a bard. If you change their class completely , can it ruin their stories? For example if I turned gale into a non wizard, would he still have the "must consume magic"?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Also didn't realize you could do this.

Minor game mechanic spoilers.
You get items for talking with the dead early on. Don't ignore them. If you kill some quest NPC you can use this to get whatever you wanted from him. But if you do this they wont help you if they recognized that you killed them.

So you need to use one of the disguise type spells to do it.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Also didn't realize you could do this.

Minor game mechanic spoilers.
You get items for talking with the dead early on. Don't ignore them. If you kill some quest NPC you can use this to get whatever you wanted from him. But if you do this they wont help you if they recognized that you killed them.

So you need to use one of the disguise type spells to do it.
Animals are strategically placed as well. They arent just "random" usually.

Except for that one Ox in the Druid place. I "think" thats a druid trying to get to BG - but I never pursued it further before the Ox's were gone. Maybe Ill find him in BG, Idk.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone have an idea which is the best out of these perks:
Dual Wielder
Lucky
Savage Attacker

Dual Wielder seems unavoidable if the itemization ends up greatly favoring rapiers (the only finesse-but-not-light weapon type) over daggers/scimitars/short swords. In addition to the 1d8 and whatever magic effects you get, there's also the same +1 to AC that taking +2 Con ASI would grant and all you lose is the hp. 12 if the D&D Beyond char sheet is correct for BG3. I think it's pretty unlikely that rapiers will win out over all the other choices, however.

If rapiers aren't clearly superior though, I definitely don't know enough about 5E to say whether Lucky or Savage Attacker offers more benefits. This is for a Rogue 5 / Berserker 5 / Fighter 2, btw.

Almost tempted to turn Astorion into a bard. If you change their class completely , can it ruin their stories? For example if I turned gale into a non wizard, would he still have the "must consume magic"?
They've said that the stories play out exactly the same no matter what you do with respecs. I've got a similar dilemma myself. Being a rogue I need another melee to create sneak attack openers for me. Can't decide if I want to just stick with Lae'zel (Battlemaster) or do something weird with Karlach, like a Sword Bard multiclass. Not sure how I feel about drastically changing a character I actually use all the time. 4 characters instead of 6 is so damn restrictive.

Definitely going to respec someone into an alchemy whore (i.e. Transmutation Wizard) though. Was originally going to be Wyll, since Astarion had an unfortunate accident, but maybe it's better to just get a hireling from Withers.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Even though I was in Act 2, I started over totally again last night, and I decided to take things a bit more slow and really walk around and try to explore every corner. So much shit hidden everywhere and definitely missed some things - like the dog you can get to go back to your camp.

I’d also reiterate what’s said above, get the speak to the dead and talk to animals early, lots of good / fun interactions with those. It’s amazing they did voice lines for everything, even random animals you find.

On this playthrough I:

Immediately killed Astarion
Killed gith chick, Lae’Zul or whatever
Picked up Gale, told him to fuck off, then killed him

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm level 9 now and most of the way done with the cursed land and I haven't seen any actual weapons that make me go 'wow I need to respec to use this', so I'm not sure I'd rate two-weapon fighting especially high. The difference of getting d8s over d6 on shortsword seems super negligible for an entire feat when stacked up against luck rerolls or damage rerolls.

Does alchemy actually required any proficiency? I've got no one with it that I know of and I use alchemy all the time to make elixirs and shit.

RE: barbarian subclasses, berserker is just the most damage by a pretty wide margin, so if you need firecrotch to be big DPS for you just go to Withers and redo her choices and swap her to that subclass under barbarian. I haven't really bothered to respec any of the other followers besides that though as they all seem mostly fine.

Horny gith lady, or I guess battlemaster fighters in general, is just nuts though. You get so many of their combat maneuver dice that with the extra attack and action surge you can just burst down almost any big scary target in one turn with them. Disarm is also super, super OP as enemy AI kinda just falls apart when they lose their weapon if they are a martial class - I don't think I've ever seen an enemy pick up their weapon, they just start doing useless shit like throwing rocks for the rest of the fight.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lol smoke powder barrels are amazing. Who needs battle strategy with spells, potions , scrolls when you can just line up a buncha barrels and explode groups of enemies with an arrow

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
How many permanent passives/upgrades have you all run across yet? There's more than I expected but I doubt I've even found them all yet:

Letting the shitty bard guy ice pick your eye out gives you permanent see invis, but -1 INT - depending on your character this is pretty baller

The pain worshiper guy in the goblin camp gives you a permanent buff that gives bonuses when your health gets low

The ruined temple the Gith are living in has a big quest to find a legendary hammer and somewhere during all that it gave everyone +1d4 divine damage which seems pretty fucking OP.

In the cursed lands there is a hidden underground temple of Shar with 3 trial statues that each give +5 to a stat until rest and so far I've been able to just go back down there after every rest and touch them again for the bonus.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Last of my spam posts, but I take back my earlier whinging about dialogue options costing you XP:

In the cursed lands there's a few really big scary bosses that you can totally just bard to death via dialogue options - it's both hilarious and they pay out massive piles of XP when they die

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I ended up playing a Shielded Dwarf "Light" Cleric with a Charlatan background. I assume it is a bad idea for me to keep Shadowheart around since she is a cleric too?

Last edited:

Daidraco

Lol smoke powder barrels are amazing. Who needs battle strategy with spells, potions , scrolls when you can just line up a buncha barrels and explode groups of enemies with an arrow
I let Lae'z carry around barrels and she just straight tosses them at entire groups of people, exploding on impact. In that same action she can jump over the flames cause shes that strong, and then kill two people that didnt die to the initial blast if she has enough oomph left. Then any that try to move away, get gibbed by her unless they disengage. Any that try to attack her will get gibbed by retaliation. Shes fucking broken and I love it. Too bad that if the enemy gets the jump on me, shes perma cc'd by magic users. Ive been looking for some way to constantly cleanse her of all the bullshit CC abilities/spells. As soon as I get something gone, shes almost immediately re-cc'd until I can clear out enough of the room with the others.

Daidraco

As a side note - does the Larian launcher try to get any of you to buy the Deluxe Version .. yet you have it? Its downloaded in steam. Do I need to activate it somewhere in the game? Little late now to get the bonuses - but I dont really care.

Burns

As a side note - does the Larian launcher try to get any of you to buy the Deluxe Version .. yet you have it? Its downloaded in steam. Do I need to activate it somewhere in the game? Little late now to get the bonuses - but I dont really care.
I saw the launcher once, and circumvented it by making a new shortcut pointing to "bg3_dx11.exe" in the bin folder.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
This shit is just way too fun in multi-player but it does make things easier. Should have started on tactician to make it a little harder.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Loving this game! The polish really shows. My new pally is really kick ass. I have the vampire thief, the geth tank, and that half elf cleric crazy chick so far.

That said, are there book(s) I need to catch up on to make this work have some semblance of sense? I'm going with it as hell I don't have much choice but I don't even recall there being a geth race, or mind flayers coming from parasites, etc so I'm sort of lost. Was that part of the world in planescape and I'm just old man CRS here?

Chris

Potato del Grande
When you have them both in the same party they bitch at eachother constantly. Yet another sign that women wrote all of this lol.
BG2 was the same if you had Aerie and Jaheria in the party. Maybe Viconia too. Then there was the minefield politics of if you bang the Drow Queen or not.