1691463639021.jpeg

• 6Worf
  • 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think I'm broken. This game seems objectively pretty good but I worked for free for 6 hours on my day off instead of playing it.

• 2Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So...is this game good? How similar is it to BG1 and 2? Or is it more like a modern game (3D etc)? I'm seven pages behind on the thread and don't want to spoil anything until I get to it, which'll be a bit. I see something about fucking a bear?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
So...is this game good? How similar is it to BG1 and 2? Or is it more like a modern game (3D etc)? I'm seven pages behind on the thread and don't want to spoil anything until I get to it, which'll be a bit. I see something about fucking a bear?
It's not what you think, it's better. I just found that in game and I was in the dark like you. It's fucking great!

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea this is one of those once in a decade RPGs. Hasn't been a CRPG this good since Dragon Age Origins imo. Course some might get turned off to the heavy story and 5e elements, but if your trying for an immersive experience where your actions and choices matter and getting sucked into the story and lore of the world, this game is honestly a 10/10.

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
I'm really not feeling warlock in general honestly. The game encourages such frequent long rests that I find the wizard guy to be way more valuable with huge entire spellbook being available for swapping for weird niche situations like needing a fly or grease or whatever, and with his recharge skill he can go balls out just as hard as warlock.

Warlocks are only sort of nukers, they are really more like archers, their spells are just a bonus to the core combo of hex + eldritch blast. If you want the big aoe deeps it's easy enough to multiclass them after a few levels of warlock to sorcerer. That way you get the big booms and when they are done, you are still a deadly range combatant.

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Not like the old BG at all. This is like the D:OS games but with D&D 5e on top. Very nice graphics and sound, fun turn-based combat, a lot of D&D ability checks, interesting story and characters. It's one of the best games I've played in a long time. I can't remember the last time I've been at work and couldn't wait to get home to play a game.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Was about to go to bed on time, opened a door after finishing the Goblin camp interior....oops. An hour later I barely survived and now I suffer!

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Spoiler/question:

In Part 1, I lead the Drow chick to the Druid camp and then killed her and all the goblins she brought. Now when I go to the goblin town portal, the entire area attacks me. It's like 20 mobs. Is there another way into the cave with the spiders? I never cleared that cave out, but I don't want to have to fight all those damn goblins to get back there.

velk

Trakanon Raider
My review of tactician so far:

Ow, ow my balls.

Leeroy Jenkins tactics are going to get you brutally killed, every time. If you are engaging in a fair fight, you have already lost ;p

It's pretty satisfying to come up with a plan for a fight you got destroyed on and then beating it handily though.

Overall I think the RNG factor is a bit too punishing though - there's lots of times where you just lose and die, unable to do anything. That's the 5E rules in action though I guess, no DM to mitigate stuff like 'yeah, the entire party is CC'ed, you sit there and do nothing while they slowly die to melee attacks' or, 'the paladin wins initiative, targets your cleric, then triple crits divine smite, instantly killing them.'

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Still think the whole resting BS is janky as fuck in modern video games. The past Larian games with the CDs and AP is so much fucking better for video game versions. So like in the goblin town, killing shit, group after group and I have to full rest in between almost every fight because all my good shit is spent and I either do not have any dmg spells left or heals are gone on cleric and im limp dicking. Characters that rely on spells, which is like 1/2 or more of my group are basically useless without full rest. Was the same way with Pathfinder and of course both games relying on their tabletop systems just do not translate well into video game versions, at least IMO.

Dont get me wrong here, the game is great and im loving it, just a gripe I have with these tabletop systems being 1:1 taken and made into video game versions. The flow is just way better in the past Larian games where they relied on their own systems of CDs on skills and AP. Or other TRPG games with their 2AP systems, of one AP for move and other for action, or spend both on action or move if you want.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Almost done with A1 on tactician. It’s been a hell of a ride. Most of the time I beat encounters on my first try but there have been some really close ones. I’m trying not to scum save reload unless I get bugs…or an incredible run of bad luck and it’s clear I can’t win. I think I’m at or close to 500 on winning boss fights first attempt.

I won a fight last night by dimension dooring my caster and a downed party member to some crazy spot to recover a little then barely finished the encounter. This was after the shithead AI yeeted my healer into an abyss.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah game is easily GOTY this year, its the only PC game I've really played in the last 10 years and I've sunk 30 hours already into BG3 which is pretty nuts for me, the last time I played a game this much so often during launch was world of warcraft nearly 20 years ago. While I look forward to Starfield and Spidey2 this game is on a whole other level.

Nothing is really "easy" either, for quite a number of puzzles I've had to go look up hints online since I had no clue how to solve them, although most of the time its really dumb shit like "oh, you have to READ the book you looted to progress the quest". There's also a TON of difficult decisions you make that have meaningful results and you constantly think afterwards "fuck... did I make the wrong choice". Just like life!

It really reminds me of Witcher 3 and Skyrim in all the best ways.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Well saving Volos is certainly worth it!

Told him to meet me in my camp, talked to him and told him to try to extract the tadpole. He did.... but failed and took my eye out instead, but gave a replacement glass eye that gives permanent see invisible.

Do you just get the bonus, or is there a downside also?

Camp is weird though.

Let the goblin from the druid camp lead me there, followed in. Killed the first absolute, then got adds, killed those. Nobody else aggroed when I finished the fight. Got to the priestess, killed her, and same thing. Guessing they attack only in batches there to make it manageable?

Regarding the goblin camp and aggro

the war drums are what makes the whole place aggro I believe. If no one sounds the alarm and none of the goblins with the witness debuff run off and tell the rest of the place, then you can assassinate pockets of goblins and not become KOS to the whole compound. There are also things you can do to assassinate goblins without drawing aggro, like telling the owlbear cub to eat goblins, tell the spiders to eat goblins, pushing drunk goblins into the pits.

I was fine until I did the hobgoblin guy - the corpse identified me and started the fight, but I was out of position and one goblin beat the drums and made the whole place KOS

Also, once the drums get used, the pain dude and the hired mercs guarding the door clear out, so make sure you got what you needed from them before you potentially start going on a killing spree

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
For me the goblin camp itself was non KOS since I smeared the shit on my face, so he let me pass. But when I got inside is where I started to kill shit and it was pretty much OK, use LOS and choke points to funnel all the dudes to you, dont go and chase them. They are all pretty weak as well in there, most trash has like 7HP and some like 15. Only the few havs like 20+ HP and have buffs and such.

Only tough areas inside was with the barbarian dude and his minions, but you find some explosive barrels in one of the jail cells on the left. Place a couple in the doorway to his room. Aggro him and back the fuck up away from barrels and then when he rushes you, and if youre lucky one or two of his minions, he/they will end up right in the door way to end his turn, so explode his ass with the explosive barrels. I did the same strat with the 3 named bosses after you save the Druid. Since I had him come along with me to help and I was like Lv3 and that bitch boss was like lv 6 I think and she kept one rounding all my dudes. Rest of the fights were pretty easy and survivable if you had full rest and, again, used choke points and LOS.

So then when you go back outside after dealing with all the BS inside, thats where it gets tricky since the whole damn place aggros your ass. But you can also take this in steps and fight one part at a time. And again, most of the dudes have like 7-15 HP so they are EZ if your rolls RNG is with you.