Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
1691858797662.png

blew up some clown with Searing Smite and didn't proc these boots. I guess it's bugged or I don't understand what a Condition is.

so-that-was-a-fucking-lie-lies.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Honestly, the amount of things in this game that you keep discovering, by just doing things slightly differently or in a slightly different order in a second playthrough...

I just discovered if you keep the owlbear egg from Act 1, instead of selling it/eating it for supplies, you can trade it to the crazy lady who wants the gith egg. Given the gith in act 3 kills all the members, it'll be fascinating to see what the owlbear does!

it still kills them all

• 1Worf

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Cannot for the life of me find another fey flower/fey flower essence to make a hagsbane potion, and the one I did get is lost to the ages someplace. Checked every vendor in act3 that I can find, no one in the party has it, not in the stash etc, so I guess the end result of this is just gonna be

raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa ca443f4786.jpg

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Act 1:
The Phase Spider Matriarch fight is really well done. That captures a well thought out tabletop boss fight really well. Just chef's kiss.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Also yeah after some testing dual wield is indeed trash because all it does is rob you of your bonus action which of course has way more versatility than an off hand attack does. Assassin is actually quite strong you just need to make sure you initiate fights with him in sneakity sneak mode. Because if you have your fighter(s) with the Alert feat you almost always start first then can move into position while they're surprised.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
What is Tav? Is that short for The Adventurer or something? Serious question, I don't keep up with internet speak.
Tav is the default character name, so it's what everyone refers to the PC as

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

j00t

Also yeah after some testing dual wield is indeed trash because all it does is rob you of your bonus action which of course has way more versatility than an off hand attack does. Assassin is actually quite strong you just need to make sure you initiate fights with him in sneakity sneak mode. Because if you have your fighter(s) with the Alert feat you almost always start first then can move into position while they're surprised.
It really just depends because there are plenty class/subclasses that don't really have many bonus actions. It's a little different in this game because of the universal bonus actions that larian added, though

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

It gets way better with one of the various items that adds stat bonuses to offhand etc.

I wouldn't do it until way later on though when you have the ability to stack two weapons with improved crit on them - I could see dual wield spam working out okay at that point once you reduce your crit to 16 or so.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Boy does this game really want me to respec Lae to a monk:

Baldurs-Gate-3-How-to-Get-Gloves-of-Soul-Catching-Legendary.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just putting a weapon in someone's offhand is trash, sure. If you build around it with sneak attacks, extra bonus actions, Reckless Attack, and have the right items it's top tier damage.

I'd still be playing the Thief 5 / Berserker 5 / Fighter 2 build I had planned if not for how awful it is to play a main character that lacks high cha and proficiency/expertise in the speech skills. I think it'll be perfect for a second (Dark Urge) playthrough though.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Boy does this game really want me to respec Lae to a monk:

View attachment 486369
Fuck me, I have to find those for my guy. Loot for my monk has been pretty sparse. I finally got a robe that isn't too bad the last night, and the only other thing I found is staffs, and an occasional odd amulet. Was really hoping that maybe an act 2 I'll start finding more monk specific gear.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Fuck me, I have to find those for my guy. Loot for my monk has been pretty sparse. I finally got a robe that isn't too bad the last night, and the only other thing I found is staffs, and an occasional odd amulet. Was really hoping that maybe an act 2 I'll start finding more monk specific gear.

There's quite a few types of builds that I noticed really don't start getting item support until act3 unfortunately, and those gloves are damn near the end of the game basically.

It kinda felt like a sudden deluge of really strong monk/melee specific items hit me in the middle of act3, which I guess maybe makes sense given how nutty wizards/sorcs/etc start to go around level 10-12?

• 1Rustled

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
kinda glad over used in fantasy rpgs, so are swords for that matter

Talos

Just putting a weapon in someone's offhand is trash, sure. If you build around it with sneak attacks, extra bonus actions, Reckless Attack, and have the right items it's top tier damage.

I'd still be playing the Thief 5 / Berserker 5 / Fighter 2 build I had planned if not for how awful it is to play a main character that lacks high cha and proficiency/expertise in the speech skills. I think it'll be perfect for a second (Dark Urge) playthrough though.
Dual wield college of swords bard. That's my PC. High charisma and dexterity.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Dual wield college of swords bard. That's my PC. High charisma and dexterity.
Yeah I'm playing a bard now actually, but I think Swords Bard 6 / GOO Warlock 5 / Wizard 1 and using a bound 2H weapon is going to be the best damage by far while still keeping the bard flavor as much as possible. What are you getting out of dual wielding without thief and/or berserker levels to supplement it?

Edit: If a 2d6 weapon ends up being my best option, it'll be tempting to dump the wizard level for fighter instead, since bards can't take great weapon style.

Last edited:

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
There's quite a few types of builds that I noticed really don't start getting item support until act3 unfortunately, and those gloves are damn near the end of the game basically.

It kinda felt like a sudden deluge of really strong monk/melee specific items hit me in the middle of act3, which I guess maybe makes sense given how nutty wizards/sorcs/etc start to go around level 10-12?
Well that blows. My guys doing all right, but upgrades and gear progression just seem to be so limited. I can see why that pair of gloves though would be towards the end of the game because they're pretty awesome, but what the hell is the point of having them if you can't have fun with them.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Anyone played a frenzy barb or vengeance paladin can tell me which is better as for survivability and damage output?