Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Goonsquad Officer
man act 3 just keeps going and going and going. every block of that city so far is just one wacky adventure after another. i wish it ran a bit better but hey, i'll take the sheer volume of story.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I've got a copy of Forgotten Realms : Demihuman Deities on my shelf right now
Fuckin' nerd.
Pathfinder was good, but one thing this game has, among others, thats like miles above, is the writing. Its like kids wrote pathfinder.
I don't think Pathfinder's writing is necessarily bad, per se..it's just so fucking goddamn verbose and redundant. So many books/notes/etc. in BG3 are just quick little snippets that give you all the important lore points, background info, etc. In Pathfinder I was so often catching myself thinking, "Dude..I fucking get it already! Blah blah blah blah".

That said, I'm really excited for WH40k: Rogue Trader and if Owlcat and Larian want to duke it out for the cRPG masters for the next few decades, I'm fucking down.

• 5Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 8 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Not a story spoiler...

1692578192125.png

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Fuckin' nerd.

I don't think Pathfinder's writing is necessarily bad, per se..it's just so fucking goddamn verbose and redundant. So many books/notes/etc. in BG3 are just quick little snippets that give you all the important lore points, background info, etc. In Pathfinder I was so often catching myself thinking, "Dude..I fucking get it already! Blah blah blah blah".

That said, I'm really excited for WH40k: Rogue Trader and if Owlcat and Larian want to duke it out for the cRPG masters for the next few decades, I'm fucking down.
Yeah im hoping Owlcat takes some hints from Larians BG3 and only makes their games even better. Which im sure they are all playing right now, and if not they are fools.

• 2Like

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Bruh.

This shit goes all the way back. The Unearthed Arcana, published in 1985, is full of exotic races along with expanded character creation options (rolling more dice) and increased level caps for non-humans. Second Edition is full to the brim with bizarre shit. I've got a copy of Forgotten Realms : Demihuman Deities on my shelf right now and that book is some of the craziest fucking shit.
They published lots of additional races, but it never made much headway at the gaming stores I used to play D&D at. Almost all the civilized settlements in Faerun were dominated by the base PHB races, humans especially. The DM's there stayed true to the setting, and made it difficult to be an exotic race that very few are familiar with. I remember when I was 16 and wanted to play a Drow. The reply was "stop being a pussy faggot and pick one of the races in the PHB. We've all read the Drizzt novels; learn to make an interesting character without having to be something strange." This mentality stuck with me, but it really did help me make semi-interesting backgrounds for characters.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
They published lots of additional races, but it never made much headway at the gaming stores I used to play D&D at. Almost all the civilized settlements in Faerun were dominated by the base PHB races, humans especially. The DM's there stayed true to the setting, and made it difficult to be an exotic race that very few are familiar with. I remember when I was 16 and wanted to play a Drow. The reply was "stop being a pussy faggot and pick one of the races in the PHB. We've all read the Drizzt novels; learn to make an interesting character without having to be something strange." This mentality stuck with me, but it really did help me make semi-interesting backgrounds for characters.

My point was not towards the quality or prevalence of one kind of campaign versus another but rather to the sentiment that back in the day we walked to the dungeons up hill both ways as human warriors. From almost the beginning there was wild shit available even you weren't going to always able get the green light from the DM.

As a side note I remember when 4th edition was about to launch and a bunch of the neckbeards declared they were premptively banning Dragonborn and Tieflings from their campaigns before the books were even on store shelves. Wanting your character to be the specialest special boy that ever specialed is no more or less eyeroll than ejecting everything that doesn't correspond 1 to 1 with Tolkien-esque ideal.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i don't know... i've always looked at it as character is what makes someone special, not race. which means you can be the most exotic race in the game and not be special. which also means that you should be able to pick whatever race you want. we are playing adventurers, which are extremely atypical to begin with. having the option for different races adds all kinds of interesting personality quirks, rp moments and story hooks.

one of my favorite characters i've played is a goliath sorcerer with an intelligence of 5. he BARELY speaks, mostly just grunts like a gorilla, and has your typical goliath build. so the first time that group went into combat, my goliath charged the giant spider like he was going to rage and reckless attack, but then misty stepped behind it and shot a ray of frost everyone at the table lost it.

we still talk about that character pretty often and it's specifically because when you see a giant muscly goliath, you think angry barbarian. if i wasn't allowed to play anything but a human dwarf or elf, that ENTIRE character would be completely forgettable

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
So was playing some yesterday in Rivington / Wyrms Crossing and the game runs fine, just had to tone down a few graphic settings, not a big deal. I found that if I fast travel a bit, hit camp, or reload a different save, and zoning between areas. After a bit the game just starts to chug along.

Did a little searching online and it seems there's some big memory leak. Once performance starts s going to shit, the only thing that seems to fix the issue is restarting the game. Problem goes away until the next time it pops up, which depending on what I'm doing, could be an hour or less. It's pretty annoying.

Is there anything you can do to mitigate a memory leak, or does the dev just have to rework the code for the game to resolve the issue. Don't have any issues with other games. Last two were Remnant 2 and Elden Ring, which run flawlessly on ultra settings. I can deal with it, but again it's just annoying for what is a fantastic game. Wonder if clearing out old saves would make a difference?

Any advice would be appreciated. Just wondering if any of you are having the same issue.

Last edited:

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So was playing some yesterday in Rivington / Wyrms Crossing and the game runs fine, just had to tone down a few graphic settings, not a big deal. I found that if I fast travel a bit, hit camp, or reload a different save, and zoning between areas. After a bit the game just starts to chug along.

Did a little searching online and it seems there's some big memory leak. Once performance starts s going to shit, the only thing that seems to fix the issue is restarting the game. Problem goes away until the next time it pops up, which depending on what I'm doing, could be an hour or less. It's pretty annoying.

Is there anything you can do to mitigate a member leak, or does the dev just have to rework the code for the game to resolve the issue. Don't have any issues with other games. Last two were Remnant 2 and Elden Ring, which run flawlessly on ultra settings. I can deal with it, but again it's just annoying for what is a fantastic game. Wonder if clearing out old saves would make a difference?

Any advice would be appreciated. Just wondering if any of you are having the same issue.
All of Act 3 had that problem for me and changing GFX options didn't do anything. Reloading and zoning seemed to be what affected it the most, and yea, I would need to restart the game once my frames hit 10 FPS. It usually took me a while for it to bog down though, less than an hour seems really short.

I didn't find any other solution than to restart, outside of trying to limit reloads and zoning. Going back and forth to the camp (in the Inn) didn't seem to affect it, so that was nice. I tried to complete everything I could before moving on to the next area, so I didn't need to load back.

Surprised it is not fixed by now, so I wonder if it's been a difficult bug to iron out, or they just have other higher priority bugs in need of addressing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
All of Act 3 had that problem for me and changing GFX options didn't do anything. Reloading and zoning seemed to be what affected it the most, and yea, I would need to restart the game once my frames hit 10 FPS. It usually took me a while for it to bog down though, less than an hour seems really short.

I didn't find any other solution than to restart, while trying to limit reloads and zoning. Going back and forth to the camp (in the Inn) didn't seem to affect it, so that was nice. I tried to complete everything I could before moving on to the next area, so I didn't need to load back.

Surprised it is not fixed by now, so I wonder if it's been a difficult bug to iron out, or they just have other higher priority bugs in need of addressing.
It's probably less than an hour, just seems constant and time flows differently when the game sucks you in. What seems like 20 mins is suddenly 2 hrs. Could probably sit down and just count the number of times it takes zoning or reloading saves to figure out the threshold. Guess I could look at task manager too and see how bad it's chewing things up.

• 2Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I feel like there ought to be another evil faction of Drow that aren't Loth bound

like a Swedish Death Metal Drow Bard God...or you know something...what male Drow wants to live in a city of crazy Femme Fatales running policy?

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I feel like there ought to be another evil faction of Drow that aren't Loth bound

like a Swedish Death Metal Drow Bard God...or you know something...what male Drow wants to live in a city of crazy Femme Fatales running policy?
I don't think it is a matter of want, it is if they don't Lloth turns them into spider monsters.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I don't think it is a matter of want, it is if they don't Lloth turns them into spider monsters.
But character spread is even, males are as strong as women? Lolth turns every male into a spider, well no more drow babies then...

You want subservience, you create it by actually weakening the servile.

Like there's biological architecture to our existence, bad lore never can never appreciate why-the-why of the real world is, when they make the fake one.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
But character spread is even, males are as strong as women? Lolth turns every male into a spider, well no more drow babies then...

You want subservience, you create it by actually weakening the servile.

Like there's biological architecture to our existence, bad lore never can never appreciate why-the-why of the real world is, when they make the fake one.
We may as well talk about how slaves stay slaves even when they out number their captors. I am sure the mass orgies don't hurt morale either...

• 1Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
We may as well talk about how slaves stay slaves even when they out number their captors. I am sure the mass orgies don't hurt morale either...
slaves are definitely made weaker in what ways matter to be controlled

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So, you are trying to figure out how a bunch of women, that are given powers by their ebil spider loving god, can dominate men who don't receive said powers or, if they are born with talents, are killed as children unless they somehow demonstrate their subservience?

• 1Like

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
So, you are trying to figure out how a bunch of women that are given powers by their ebil spider loving god can dominate men who don't receive said powers or, if they are born with talents, are killed as children unless they somehow demonstrate their subservience?
And to go further - the main Drow to have ever left this system, Drizzt, has been hunted for centuries by Lloth worshippers as a heretic.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider

Vhaeraun is the drow God of males, thievery, and rogues. Narratively there's room for it, but Llolth is iconic and has a stranglehold on almost all Drow culture. I'm also pretty sure Rule34 Drow art is part of her divine portfolio and she draws a lot of power from that.

She's an iconic part of D&D. Even if she lost a lot of power and influence, it would probably just be a story beat for a few years before they have an arc where she comes back, takes revenge and becomes the head of the pantheon again.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users