Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Last night I did my all-time greatest wombo combo on

Act 3 spoilers

Cazador. He starts the fight buffed to shit with hundreds of HP and a long list of buffs from sucking off spawns. It wasn't enough.

I trigger the fight with Astarion popping hex intelligence on his ass. Astarion gets spawn sucked into his spot immediately after but the hex holds. My cleric/sorc pops twincast haste on my 2x barbarians, then stormflies over Cazador wielding Lathander's Sunshine Stick, dehumidifying his mist form and blinding his dumbass

Tav barb pops the Illithid ability that gives vulnerability (and some pitiful healing) on Cazador, it sticks despite showing a 15% chance for success? It has an intelligence check but it's landed the two times I've used it, I don't know if it can fail, but if it can't my hex intelligence was for nothing.

Then I fucking wail on Cazador with my big dick barbarian's reckless attack, that halbred attack that hits 'em with frightful, the one attack that gets them with bleed or rupture or devein or whatever. After 4 mack truck swings knocking his overgrown incisors into his skull he's down halfway from 400 health to 200 or something.

Next up is Karlach, she pops barb yell and takes her turn. She's got that super trident and pokes literally a dozen holes up Cazador's ass. Her last thrust procs cull the weak, popping him like a blood-engorged tick, finishing a one-turn destruction of a nearly god-vampire.

I think Cazador's only action was to cast chain lightning (canceled by the Illithid counterspell) and mist form (cancelled by Lathander's Sunshine Stick). Pathetic.

I also respec'd Minsc as a Monk/rogue. As strong as my twinhasted 2x barbarians are, Tavern Brawler + all the unarmed gear is broken. I've been playing 'tactician' mode and it's pretty easy. I haven't found any combat situation that can't be overcome in a round or two. I did basically zero theorycrafting on BG3 before release and never looked at the 5e ruleset, so I'm sure there's a ton of powerful combinations out there, but from what I've seen, interms of lethality monk is S-Rank, Barbs are A-Rank. I think a hasted champion with some crit-build could be really strong but I haven't tried it. I think rangers could be strong but I haven't looked into it much.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Blah , big warning to those still early in game - do mountain pass before you go to shadowlands. Maybe finish all of underdark then go back there.

The game doesn’t indicate it and I assumed I’d be able to go back there after completing shadowlands - you can’t. I ended up missing what is presumably a big chunk of content and it’s too far back for me to want to start there again.

welp off to baldurs gate today! No idea what I’ll be missing given I completely skipped all the gith stuff unintentionally

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
So there's a female to male tranny dwarf at the newspaper place.

View attachment 487566
What hey, sometimes they just have beards (sorry, couldn’t find a pic with original models.)

5CEB27A9-A833-47D8-8C2B-B8D6680E2E9A.jpeg

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ill tell you what pisses me off more than anything, BG3 crashing like a mo fo. Ill take bugs all day long if I dont have to wade through crashes every hour or two and losing progress because I forgot to F5. IU actually restarted BG3 now because in act 3 IDK what the fuck is going on, memory leak? Whatever, the shit is unstable as hell.
I've been seeing some regular crashing with the Vulkan BG3, but more stable operation with DX11. I'm not sure which one runs at higher FPS though.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I have had virtually no crashes or other issues like some others are reporting using the DX11 executable.

I’m using a computer that was maybe higher end of mid for 2019 with a 5700XT. Act 3 is running just fine.

• 1Solidarity

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Haven't watched Zero Punctuation in ages, but this popped up in my YT suggestions.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm not sure which one runs at higher FPS though.
Digital Foundry tests showed Vulkan only equal in the best cases and overall significantly worse fps. BG3 doesn't actually use any 'advanced' API features that come with Vulkan (hence the use of DX11 instead of 12 on the other side) so there's just no reason to use it at all.

• 1Like

Burns

Blah , big warning to those still early in game - do mountain pass before you go to shadowlands. Maybe finish all of underdark then go back there.

The game doesn’t indicate it and I assumed I’d be able to go back there after completing shadowlands - you can’t. I ended up missing what is presumably a big chunk of content and it’s too far back for me to want to start there again.

welp off to baldurs gate today! No idea what I’ll be missing given I completely skipped all the gith stuff unintentionally
The mountain pass is part of act 2 and you most certainly can go back to the mountain pass after entering the shadowlands through the Grimforge. You must not have explored the whole map in the shadow-cursed lands, or you initiated the end of Act 2 before doing so. The "back door" entrance is on the east side of the map, and if I remember right, the shadows even start to clear up on the shadowlands side as you head toward the zone. Warning: SPOILER of some of the chapter 2 points of interest: Here is the east (non-city side) map showing the way to "Rosymorn Monastery," which is the pass.

Last edited:

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not one crash for me, a few hiccups where NPCs got stuck and it dropped fps to single digits for a few seconds but other than that it's been smooth. They did go out of their way to recommend an updated driver, might have some specific fixes in it. I'm on 536.99, RTX4070, windows 10. Pretty much default graphics settings except I turned off depth of field and bloom since those two graphics filters are spawned directly from a particularly blurry plane of Hell.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
people in act3? fucking speedrunners. I'm still in act 1 underdark. Trash pile of shit called PoE stealing my attention

• 1Worf
  • 1GreNeg

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
The mountain pass is part of act 2 and you most certainly can go back to the mountain pass after entering the shadowlands through the Grimforge. You must not have explored the whole map in the shadow-cursed lands, or you initiated the end of Act 2 before doing so. The "back door" entrance is on the east side of the map, and if I remember right, the shadows even start to clear up on the shadowlands side as you head toward the zone. Warning: SPOILER of some of the chapter 2 points of interest: Here is the east (non-city side) map showing the way to "Rosymorn Monastery," which is the pass.
when you try to enter on that side, you basically die, without spoiling too much. and yes i guess i did initiate the end of act2. but i didnt realize i wouldnt be able to go there after clearing shadowlands. also nothing during my exploring of shadowlands sent me to mountain pass

Burns

when you try to enter on that side, you basically die, without spoiling too much. and yes i guess i did initiate the end of act2. but i didnt realize i wouldnt be able to go there after clearing shadowlands. also nothing during my exploring of shadowlands sent me to mountain pass
You have to fight that fight at the end of the pass one way or the other. It didn't feel like it would have been any easier initiating it from east side, instead of the shadow side. As for bread crumbs sending you to it, you should have had Lae'zel's quest, as that's all that is really there (even though it has some more story elements, if you do it).

Even though the areas should all be empty, outside of the druid grove, I was a bit surprised that you could not travel back to Act 1 or 2 after going into Act 3, but story wise it makes sense, as you "race" to the gates and are then trapped in the city by an army.

Of course, they still give you multiple popup warnings in Act 2 that doing X area will advance the story, so that's kinda a clue.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
You have to fight that fight at the end of the pass one way or the other. It didn't feel like it would have been any easier initiating it from east side, instead of the shadow side. As for bread crumbs sending you to it, you should have had Lae'zel's quest, as that's all that is really there (even though it has some more story elements, if you do it).
unfortunately i had already killed ketheric, i guess I wasnt sure when the end of act2 would be. after that when i went towards the mountain pass basically the astral prism person tells you if you go this way i cant protect you, and if u keep trying to enter pass, ur whole party gets transformed into mind flayers and the game ends. Im not sure what fight at the end of the pass you are talking about, as I never encountered one on the shadowlands side atleast.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Oops wrong thread.

Nice work on the spoilers. I like I can read this thread and still have no idea what the story is about.

• 1Like

Burns

unfortunately i had already killed ketheric, i guess I wasnt sure when the end of act2 would be. after that when i went towards the mountain pass basically the astral prism person tells you if you go this way i cant protect you, and if u keep trying to enter pass, ur whole party gets transformed into mind flayers and the game ends. Im not sure what fight at the end of the pass you are talking about, as I never encountered one on the shadowlands side atleast.
That's funny. I guess that means the message that pops up in the Shar temple, about the story changing if you go look for the Nightsong, means both the pass gets "closed" and the people at Last Light start their assault. Technically you are still in Act 2, but from that point on, it is on rails until chapter 3. Looking back, that is also when the fast travel options all disappeared too.

Cybsled

The game has 2 points of no return

1) first warning message in act 2 says the landscape may change and quests may become unavailable - it’s when you click on some stairs in a pool of water

2) the final boss of the game in act 3 - warning is when you click to get on the rowboat

As far as I know, those are the only 2 points of no return to previous areas.