Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also, there are multiple AI (difficulty) mods out now, and I am sure more will be developed/refined. I am using one that gives NPCs more unique powers, in effect expanding the "classes" available to them. I just started a new game, since my DUrge saves broke with updating mods, so don't have much experience with it yet.

lol @ the shade thrown in this change description

The Emperor​

Fanfic tier writing, worst written character in the game. I will not even commit to explaining why as that would require ten billion times the intelligence whoever wrote this character had. I’m Balduran, can you see how we are playing Baldur’s Gate? Along with the way they treated Viconia and Sarevok, it is almost as though they have 0 knowledge of the series they were supposed to be writing a sequel for. Once again I cannot fix Larian’s writing but here is a unique AI that fits whatever the fuck this piece of shit is supposed to be. Essentially he is a braver but more lethal mindflayer who is more interested in personally annihilating his foes. I have heard reports that when he is in your team he just dicks around doing nothing so this is an attempt to remedy that.

• The Emperor is far more lethal than all other mind flayers.
  • The Emperor greatly enjoys mentally dominating his foes.
  • The Emperor will not flee when enemies begin to approach him.
  • The Emperor has a bias towards killing mind flayers.
  • The Emperor has a bias towards killing spellcasters.
  • The Emperor will join his allies attacking enemies and do his best to support them.
  • The Emperor is more intelligent than all other mindflayers
  • The Emperor will still be a little uncomfortable if enemies surround him
  • The Emperor will destroy downed players as quickly as possible.
  • The Emperor might pick up your legendary weapon that is nonsensical for a level twelve character to possess if you drop it (and he won’t give it back)

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Can't bone man?
i think you're asking about withers?

withers has set pregenerated characters you can pick up as hirelings. 1 hireling per class. you can obviously adjust stats and whatnot and i believe that you can adjust their looks with the mirror, but i don't think you can change their class or race.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
lmao eldritch blast

LhbXZcW.png

• 1Wow!

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Probably the best cover I have heard. Like it better than the original.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
i think you're asking about withers?

withers has set pregenerated characters you can pick up as hirelings. 1 hireling per class. you can obviously adjust stats and whatnot and i believe that you can adjust their looks with the mirror, but i don't think you can change their class or race.
You can change hirelings class but not the race or sex. Would really love the ability to completely change them or simply create one from scratch.

skylan

Trakanon Raider
I'm hesitant to buy this game despite the overwhelmingly positive reviews because I bought Divinity Sin 2 based on it also being overwhelmingly positive. I did not enjoy that game at all. I guess I don't care so much for story as much as I do good gameplay. Divinity was boring as hell to me, I bought it on Switch because I was hoping to use it as entertainment traveling. I think that control system was overly clunky but I felt like I spent so much time just reading text and trying to figure out where to go and there was almost no action. I didn't give it a fair shot, I was just immediately turned off after a few hours.

I love turn-based games though, one of my favorites of all time would be persona 5. Is this game closer to divinity sin or maybe more dragon age (I also enjoyed most of those games)?

• 1Pathetic

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can't speak to Dragon Age, but given Larian created D:OS 1 & 2 this plays more like 1, in only that you have resist checks for debuffs instead of 2 where you had armor & non-armor which once expired left you vuln to everything of that type. Everything else is in the same realm, 4 companions (but no lone wolf perk), environment can be abused like crazy if you want to, barrels are plentiful etc.

All 3 games (to me) had a shit ton of reading if you wanted to do so, but was largely unnecessary. If you disliked 2 but liked 1, you might like this, probably won't.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm hesitant to buy this game despite the overwhelmingly positive reviews because I bought Divinity Sin 2 based on it also being overwhelmingly positive. I did not enjoy that game at all. I guess I don't care so much for story as much as I do good gameplay. Divinity was boring as hell to me, I bought it on Switch because I was hoping to use it as entertainment traveling. I think that control system was overly clunky but I felt like I spent so much time just reading text and trying to figure out where to go and there was almost no action. I didn't give it a fair shot, I was just immediately turned off after a few hours.

I love turn-based games though, one of my favorites of all time would be persona 5. Is this game closer to divinity sin or maybe more dragon age (I also enjoyed most of those games)?
This game is still the same engine as D:OS II, so it's similar. The main differences are the damage from using surfaces is much reduced (but still there) and DnD spells/abilities combined with the DnD Action points changing how things work. The DnD system gives you a separate action point for attack and a "bonus" one for mostly support abilities. You also get a separate resource for movement.

If you are looking for a different tactical RPG than the D:OS engine, the Pathfinder games (first & second) are more difficult, complex, and tactical that you can play as both real time with pause (Dragon Age 1) or turn base (that you can switch back and forth).

If you want a recent straight tactical turn based game, Jagged Alliance 3 should be patched up and good to go by now.

• 1Like

skylan

Trakanon Raider
This game is still the same engine as D:OS II, so it's similar. The main differences are the damage from using surfaces is much reduced (but still there) and DnD spells/abilities combined with the DnD Action points changing how things work. The DnD system gives you a separate action point for attack and a "bonus" one for mostly other support abilities. You also get a separate resource for movement.

If you are looking for a different tactical RPG than the D:OS engine, the Pathfinder games are more difficult, complex, and tactical that you can play as both real time with pause (Dragon Age 1) or turn base (that you can switch back and forth).

If you want a recent straight tactical turn based game, Jagged Alliance 3 should be patched up and good to go by now.

Thanks for all the recommendations, I never played BG1 or 2 so I'm pretty unfamiliar with the systems overall. It sounds like it's probably not for me despite how much I want it to be. I have been eyeing the pathfinder games but forget why they fell off my radar. Maybe I was waiting for the latest one to come out on PS5. I'll look into Jagged Alliance as well.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thanks for all the recommendations, I never played BG1 or 2 so I'm pretty unfamiliar with the systems overall. It sounds like it's probably not for me despite how much I want it to be. I have been eyeing the pathfinder games but forget why they fell off my radar. Maybe I was waiting for the latest one to come out on PS5. I'll look into Jagged Alliance as well.
I like/love all the games but Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 have little in common with this game, other than the setting and being DnD based. Even the DnD rules are different rule sets.

Baldur's Gate inspired almost all western RPGs, some more than others. Dragon Age 1 is from many of the same people that did Baldur's Gate 2 and, imo, is more similar to each other than Baldur's Gate 2 is similar to Baldur's Gate 3.