Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure killing the Cleric boss in the mines is the flag for chapter 2 to start.

Also even if you do go back to a previous save before Minsc zerked out, you will still have to make a choice here when you rescue ol' girl to either kick out Imoen, Neera, or Khalid AND Jaheira as they are a pair. I would kick Neera since I think she is annoying as a character and she's super fucking annoying as a class since Wild Mages require constant save scumming or you get stupid shit like losing 80% of your gold when their spells go wonky. I would probably go back to a save and keep Minsc, but he will still be alive and well in BG2 even if he dies here. And the companions are all way more fleshed out in BG2.

Oh and Khalid is a bro and is the best archer in the game if built well and archery is OP as fuck in BG1.
Wild Mage is awesome if you just roll with it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yep, I did this. Animals and Skeletons. Everyone had a fireball wand or fireball spell which took care of most of his party and a good chunk of health off him. Also the spell that makes vines everywhere that roots people.
The other one I remember cheesing hard is that when you fight Arch Necromancer Lavok in the Planar Sphere in BG2. If you immediately exit the room when the fight begins and go into the adjacent one you can sleep for 8 hours. When you reenter the boss fight room all of his protections have gone away and he just stands there and dies while trying to cast a few spells.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Started over, got back most of the way to where I was pretty quickly. Got Minsc and his GF, but had to boot Khalid, so I lost the hot druid. Was gonna boot Neela and invite them back, but I got Edwin so now I'm back to not really having room.

View attachment 463365
Speaking of which, where can I get some good caster armor? Edwin and Dynaheir are running around with nothing on.

Gonna redo the Mines and get back to Chapter 2. Pretty fun first day of CRPGing

Edit: Is Xan worth recruiting? Was gonna boot Neela out for him. The boss fight with the guy south of him and the army of adds seems to have my number. Everyone's super close to finally reaching Level 2 (My God, this really is an 80 hour game)
You can ditch Dynaheir. Just go into a house, boot her from the party and leave the house before she talks to you. Talking to you triggers Minsc's script to leave. In my playthrough there's a house in Beregost with an angry Dynahier and a sign labeled "DONT OPEN ANGRY BITCH INSIDE".

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I really like Wild Mage. I might include it on my BG2 run, but I'd really have to delete My Gold! effect in Wild Surge. No matter how fun it is to be able to cast wild surges all over, having an effect that can takes away 80% of your gold at random is terrible.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

I had one of these in my BG2 party, super fuckin fun.

That and the rogue/warrior orc hybrid dude I had decapitating ppl was the highlight of my "XCOM With Elves 2" rollup.

Breach and clear tactics with spider web spells and others is a good time.

BG3 is a bit too DOS2 for me but, it's got what normies crave I guess and they gotta make money after this dev timeline. Feel like they got inundated with minutia from the feedback atm. See how she goes.

Seananigans

Potato del Grande
<Screenshotted>
You can ditch Dynaheir. Just go into a house, boot her from the party and leave the house before she talks to you. Talking to you triggers Minsc's script to leave. In my playthrough there's a house in Beregost with an angry Dynahier and a sign labeled "DONT OPEN ANGRY BITCH INSIDE".

LOL.

This makes me almost want to run a DnD campaign where I operate all of the NPCs like literal NPCs. On the contrary I usually tried to be as realistic as possible, but this could be pretty entertaining.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Breach and clear tactics with spider web spells and others is a good time.

Breach and clear got me through BG in my solo playthrough. That and stealth->backstab->runaway at mach3.

Standing two screens away and letting five different pulsing AE effects just easy-bake-oven everything while you send in random groups of summons was super strong. In my current playthrough I'm trying to build a party of juggernauts that go toe-to-toe with whatever and it's hard for my casters to not get gibbed.

I wonder if 2023 SCS protects against that. I know in my current playthrough of BG1 sometimes mobs will sneak past my tank and attack my casters in impredictable ways.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This thread is making me get the CRPG itch badly.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Confession - I had quite a few play throughs under my belt before I realized on level up there were actually thief abilities you needed to scroll down to see and add points to…

Yoshimo with plenty of points in set traps is a great way to handle dragons, illithids, etc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Confession - I had quite a few play throughs under my belt before I realized on level up there were actually thief abilities you needed to scroll down to see and add points to…

Yoshimo with plenty of points in set traps is a great way to handle dragons, illithids, etc.
The fucking traps I rolled out with my thief, I forgot about them. I felt like Dungeon Crawler Carl setting up catastrophes to destroy unjust monstrosities

dw8485y3kuu61.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Edwin, Minsc and Dyna in one party. Wont they kill each other?
It think it's the BG Tweak pack Tweaks Anthology that reduces the ways party members can ragequit.

I don't know if it's possible to have those three in a party long-term without mods though. I never rolled with Dynaheir.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Dynaheir sucks I've never rolled with her, Khalid, or that faggot Anomen.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
dynaheir and khalid have pretty terrible stats and khalid's ridiculous panic mode that comes into play every now and then, but I played with them when I wanted a canon playthrough. Khalid becomes OK-ish once he gets the ogre strength gauntlets as he's a pure fighter. Anomen is actually pretty solid as a fighter/cleric, and he stops being so whiny after you complete his quests in a good way.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Keldorn is so powerful as an inquisitor it's hard to justify Anomen in the party. They don't serve the exact same purpose but personality wise Keldorn is everything Anomen wishes he could be.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Xan isn't turrable, but he is more of a crowd controller than a damage dealer. He is also one of the potential companions where, if you turn them down (and leave the area?) they will disappear from the game, but if you hire him, you can immediately kick them and they will stay where you left them.

With him you toss out sleeps and charms to take big problems out of fight for a few rounds, while you kill the rest of the mob. CC is really strong in BG, and a good sleep or charm can drastically change the difficulty of some fights. The trade off is, he cant cast the best damage spells in Magic Missile or Fireball.

He still has access to Melf's Acid Arrow, Flame Arrow, and Skull Trap; which aren't that far behind the Evocation spells, if you want him to nuke things. If you keep Dynaheir, she is the opposite specialization and the best nuker in the game (w/ bad CC options), so they complement each other nicely.

Also, Xan can get to really high fire resists, eventually, if you give him the proper items. When over 100% resists in this game, the damage will instead heal that character.

Edit: As others have said, Neera is iffy. Wild Magic can be funny/interesting, but you need to be prepared to save scum a little for it (watch your gold after every fight). As a bonus, she will go back to the Inn, as she is one of the Beamdog companions.

Is "Wild Magic" the reason why her attack spells are hitting my party? Cause I noticed a few times that stuff like Entangle or Color Spray were totally fooking up the party as well as the enemies.

Hope that was just Neera and not a normal thing, cause if it's how all the casters are, AOEs are gonna be significantly less useful.

that's a pretty spellcaster heavy party.

Yeah, I have the hero and Minsc up front doing melee and 3 damage casters (Dynaheir, Edwin, Xan) in the background with slings. Also have Imoen doing archery damage. Seems to be working really well, the only time I die is when the hero runs out of HP.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Wild Mage is for like the advanced playthrough when you just want something different. Like in NWN or Fallout when you playthrough with like 1 intelligence so all the dialog options are lol.

Friendly Fire is a thing though so...

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Looking forward to Icewind Dale and a fully-customizable party being the intention, but I'm enjoying characters with actual personality in the meantime.

Are Planescape and Tides sci-fi games or are they also D&D? Got the impression they were sci-fi or sci-fi adjacent.

Speaking of sci-fi I might finally play Fallout 1 and 2 at some point in the CRPG Crusade, and believe it or not I haven't played Warcraft 3 or Diablo 2 yet either so I might as well slide them into the pile. Assuming WC1/2 and D1 aren't necessary. I'll probably need to trim some fat from this list if I want to actually get through it.

I've got WC3 (Battle Chest) and D2 (Switch remaster) as well as pretty much everything on the list I posted before. What's the best way to play Fallout 1 and 2 these days? Surprised they never got an Enhanced Edition type remaster. I guess buy the trilogy version on PC?

I forgot there was a "Fallout Tactics", never hear anything about it.

Cybsled

They released a slightly upscaled fallout 1,2, and tactics on steam. If you had bought fallout 76 way back when Bethesda had its own launcher, you actually got those for free I think. When I converted my Bethesda launcher stuff to steam, the old fallout games carried over as well

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is "Wild Magic" the reason why her attack spells are hitting my party? Cause I noticed a few times that stuff like Entangle or Color Spray were totally fooking up the party as well as the enemies.

Are Planescape and Tides sci-fi games or are they also D&D? Got the impression they were sci-fi or sci-fi adjacent.

Speaking of sci-fi I might finally play Fallout 1 and 2 at some point in the CRPG Crusade, and believe it or not I haven't played Warcraft 3 or Diablo 2 yet either so I might as well slide them into the pile. Assuming WC1/2 and D1 aren't necessary. I'll probably need to trim some fat from this list if I want to actually get through it.

I've got WC3 (Battle Chest) and D2 (Switch remaster) as well as pretty much everything on the list I posted before. What's the best way to play Fallout 1 and 2 these days? Surprised they never got an Enhanced Edition type remaster. I guess buy the trilogy version on PC?
Once you get Fireball, you will be incentivized to learn how to maximize enemy damage while not hitting your own people. For now, Magic Missile > Color Spray (I'm a bit biased as I don't like cone spells and MM scales well too), and of course, charm makes for fun time, but gets resisted more than sleep.

Planescape is DnD, but Tides is it's own shitty system. Warcraft 3 isn't a RPG, but a real time strategy with RPG elements. As action RPGs, Diablo 1/2 have little in common with any of these other games as well.

Fallout 1 and 2 are as good as the Baulder's Gate games, it's just a bit different in mechanics. I replayed them some time ago, but I don't remember what mods I used to improve them. You can manually make them into "Enhanced Editions" with the most recommended mod paks, since all Beamdog did, outside of their mediocre story additions, was grab a bunch of the good mods for Baulder's Gate and put them into one package.

Fallout Tactics is an ok game, but it's not an RPG, so if you are going to spend a time on a game like it, you might as well go with the best: Jagged Alliance 2.

• 1Like