Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Planning to go either Moon Druid or Conjurer Wizard for my first play through. Currently leaning towards Druid.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
If I can’t bang the bisexual vampire and the interplanar green weirdo at the same time (as a gnome 1/3 their size) then what’s even the point?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I would have liked if they used the Origin system from Divinity because as this is your custom character (and custom class) wont be one of the fleshed out characters. Compared to divinity where you could select an origin character and customize their class. Here you can't.

If the campaign is more PC driven than origin character driven it will be fine though.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Don't see why they have to bloat the numbers. 174 hours of cinematics. Undoubtedly that means every version of each cinematic. So good, evil and probably a few neutral versions. In a regular playthrough, you'll most likely see the one version of the cinematics, so divide that by 3 and that's probably a more accurate number of hours you'll see in a playthrough in a 100% run. Where most players will probably see 50-60% of those again, missing conversations, quests, events and the likes.

Saying "A regular playthrough will have at least 50 hours of cinematics" is more than enough. Also more realistic and would avoid the bound to happen remarks of "did a full playthrough and the entire thing was shorter than the amount of cutscenes they said they had. Larian are liars!"

That said, I can't remember last time a game sped up their game release instead of delaying it. That's a good sign. Very much looking forward to this.

I know little to nothing of 5e. Is Conjurer Wizard a summoner? Do pets actually last a while, or are they like in Pathfinder where the summon time is so short I rarely bother to summon them in fights. I always go summoner if I can.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Don't see why they have to bloat the numbers. 174 hours of cinematics. Undoubtedly that means every version of each cinematic. So good, evil and probably a few neutral versions. In a regular playthrough, you'll most likely see the one version of the cinematics, so divide that by 3 and that's probably a more accurate number of hours you'll see in a playthrough in a 100% run. Where most players will probably see 50-60% of those again, missing conversations, quests, events and the likes.

Saying "A regular playthrough will have at least 50 hours of cinematics" is more than enough. Also more realistic and would avoid the bound to happen remarks of "did a full playthrough and the entire thing was shorter than the amount of cutscenes they said they had. Larian are liars!"

That said, I can't remember last time a game sped up their game release instead of delaying it. That's a good sign. Very much looking forward to this.

I know little to nothing of 5e. Is Conjurer Wizard a summoner? Do pets actually last a while, or are they like in Pathfinder where the summon time is so short I rarely bother to summon them in fights. I always go summoner if I can.
Summons yes but also bonuses to things like grease, entangle, cloud kill etc. really strong in table top, I will be curious to see how it translates.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Oh, the update also had a couple more pieces of news:

Level cap is 12. It seems like a rather long game to only get to 12, meh:
View attachment 480418

Total of 10 companions, 6 of which are playable as infected origin characters (slight spoilers with names of the 4 non playable companions):
View attachment 480419
This tells me an expansion up to lvl 20 is on the horizon for it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I haven't followed this much lately, but what are those barbarian subclasses? I played a wild magic barb which felt a bit more gimmicky than actually useful, but what are those other two? Surprised there's no totem barb since that's in the PHB. Also, surprised there's no hexblade patron for warlocks since it really feels like that's what wyll was meant to be. Or at least a mishmash of the fiend and the hexblade...

It'd be interesting if the origin characters were homebrewed subclasses that were unique to them.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I haven't followed this much lately, but what are those barbarian subclasses? I played a wild magic barb which felt a bit more gimmicky than actually useful, but what are those other two? Surprised there's no totem barb since that's in the PHB. Also, surprised there's no hexblade patron for warlocks since it really feels like that's what wyll was meant to be. Or at least a mishmash of the fiend and the hexblade...

It'd be interesting if the origin characters were homebrewed subclasses that were unique to them.
You can see what the subclasses are all about (the best wiki I have seen for 5e):

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

totem and hexblade were just broken anyway so not a huge surprise, them leaving in moon druid means they fucking with something though because endless HP otherwise.

Randin

Trakanon Raider

Totem barb just got renamed Wildheart barb for whatever reason; still the same mechanics.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider

I think its primarily a sign they didnt want to release a few days after Armored Core and 1 day before Starfield early access, but I am very excited they chose to go forward and not backward into the quagmire of games from September through October.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The classes don't fully translate from PHP to CRPG so the min maxing will probably take a bit to figure out.

The Sorcerer Warlock multiclass seems especially abusable though.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
College of Lore bard can be stupid powerful on it's own if played correctly. Sorc / Paladin is a powerful multiclass because you can regain spell slots for a shitload of smites.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Level 12 cap is disappointing but leaves room for expansions.

IIRC BG1 had a level cap of like 8-10 (?), BG2 was 20 (?), and the BG2 Throne of Bhaal Expansion was level 40.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Level 12 is really high to me. Most campaigns are done around there.

• 1Like