Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Its weird too because some days I can go for hours with no crash, like today. Played the last 6 or so hours with not one crash. But yesterday was a fucking nightmare with crashes. And for anyone thinking its somehow my shit, not the game, umm no. I play games like a mo-fo on this PC and have no crashing issues at all. Sometimes for upwards of 12 or more hours at a time and all sorts of games. Didnt they just release a patch that supposedly "fixed" some 300 crashes, lol? Hoping they get to my crashes soon, lol.
I wonder if there's some sort of memory leak. I've noticed that over a few hours, especially if i reload the game a bunch, or shift between areas, I'll start to chug a little bit in a highly populated area. The goblin camp got pretty bad, but as soon as I reloaded everything was fine.

My computer doesn't have an issue at all running anything else. Been playing Remnant 2 on ultra and it doesn't bat an eye. I think it's the first game that I've noticed some sort of weirdness in performance though . It seems to run completely fine, but just starts to hiccup after a while, buy I've never gotten a crash though.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I wonder if there's some sort of memory leak. I've noticed that over a few hours, especially if i reload the game a bunch, or shift between areas, I'll start to chug a little bit in a highly populated area. The goblin camp got pretty bad, but as soon as I reloaded everything was fine.

My computer doesn't have an issue at all running anything else. Been playing Remnant 2 on ultra and it doesn't bat an eye. I think it's the first game that I've noticed some sort of weirdness in performance though . It seems to run completely fine, but just starts to hiccup after a while, buy I've never gotten a crash though.
It could be, who knows. I dont get any of the performance issues though. Shit runs at my refresh rate 166fps 100% but then it just...Stops and crashes, lol

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No crashes on my steam deck. Maybe some people need to upgrade their potatoes.
Don't think it's a potato problem. My GTX970 has been running the game fine on DX11 w/o a crash. It was mostly smooth too, until getting to Baldur's Gate, where all the moving people seem to drop the FPS to 10.

That's not to say I haven't had some other bugs. One of them was when I was sending clothing and dye to my camp chest and putting them their own boxes, but after the hot patch last week, both those boxes became unopenable. They would just poof if I drop the whole box onto the ground. Good thing it was shit I didn't really care about.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Playing as Gale has been amazing.

Elminster 😎 broing out with me was just awesome. So far my favorite part

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Fucking awesome!

1691897643526.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Playing as Gale has been amazing.

Elminster 😎 broing out with me was just awesome. So far my favorite part
Both in this game and pathfinder games, the wizards and pretty much all spell casters have been underwhelming for the better part of the first 1/2 of the game. Sure they come online later, but damn slogging through 1/2 the game with a dud sucks. Miss, miss, miss....then the whole rest thing, blowing your wad and be all limp dick with nothing left but your baby spells. While melee get opportunity attacks, 2-3 attacks per round, etc....

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Both in this game and pathfinder games, the wizards and pretty much all spell casters have been underwhelming for the better part of the first 1/2 of the game. Sure they come online later, but damn slogging through 1/2 the game with a dud sucks. Miss, miss, miss....then the whole rest thing, blowing your wad and be all limp dick with nothing left but your baby spells. While melee get opportunity attacks, 2-3 attacks per round, etc....
Hmm ya but they become beast mode in act 2

I been doing fine with shatter/elemental/fire bolt staff etc but ya Asterion the rogue is amazing Dps early on.

I may try Ranger out next.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think next for me will be def a pally. From what I see pally enemies pull off, I want some of that action.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

This has always been the power curve in DnD. Low levels are melee dominated, high levels are caster dominated, and the midrange they are relatively close. If the game was going to 18 - 20, you would see the casters just dominate the melee in end game (well at least in Pathfinder & 3.5e, dunno about 5e).

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I'm trying out an oathbreaker pally dark elf.

Contradictions on top of contradictions. Just got to level 5.

Cybsled

I went into that spider cave first at like lv 3 or some shit. Killed the first few spiders and the other "things" in that cave, then I saw the lv5 boss and noped the fuck out. Went back at like lv5 when I was doing my "all the missing shit" sweep, and killed her no problem.

Dont forget to pick up the legendary mace for your cleric there. Its a fucking godly weapon. Also cleared that whole place out, got the egg, went into the planar plce, didnt try to kill the chick in there, and got to keep Lazel which is a beastly warrior on my team. Great place and great satisfying end to the story up to that point. I thruroughly enjoyed that Monastery part.

I think my game was buggy

Lae'zel and Shadow had their fight - I tried to be even but then had to pick a side and picked Shadowheart. Fight just sort of ended and Lae'zel was still in camp, but then one of the companions in camp was like "may she rest in peace". But I could still talk to Lae'zel and bring her into open world, so I didnt think much of it. Then I went to the mountain pass and she was standing near a spot and I didnt bring her with me because party was full. Did egg heist, came back and she was gone. Talked to gith god, went to visit planar place, said we cool to the dream guardian...then I had to kill the entire creche lol. Couldn't find Lae'zel at all anywhere until I got to shadow lands. Her petrified corpse was laying out in the road randomly.

And ya, the legendary mace is god tier in shadow lands. Especially in narrow hallways so you can do that sunbeam kamehamehe and blast the fuck out of undead lol

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Nvidia released a driver that included adjustments for BG3 as well. I doubt any of you have skipped the update, but its worth mentioning as I feel like Ive updated my graphics driver at least half a dozen times since last month.
I've uninstalled the GEForceShitWhatever almost immediately, as soon as it asked me to register. I don't have to register everywhere to update drivers, thank you. So I only upgrade by hand, whenever it needs to be done.

I did notice that after hotfix 1.2, the game was immediately complaining about the drivers I had installed two days before and that was only because it had complained about them as well at launch, and I said fuck this.

• 1Solidarity

Burns

I've uninstalled the GEForceShitWhatever almost immediately, as soon as it asked me to register. I don't have to register everywhere to update drivers, thank you. So I only upgrade by hand, whenever it needs to be done.

I did notice that after hotfix 1.2, the game was immediately complaining about the drivers I had installed two days before and that was only because it had complained about them as well at launch, and I said fuck this.
Only the launcher checks the drivers. Skip the Larian launcher, by using the "bg3_dx11.exe" or "bg3.exe" to start the game!

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
What exactly is Vulcan? I've been running dx11 the entire time, but wondered what that setting was. Sorry I'm probably behind the times.
Vulkan is very very verbose. If you follow the basic tutorial it is a LOT of code and a lot of steps before you are even drawing a single triangle. It is much less "managed" than directx, and quite a lot of things are doable on secondary threads. For DX11 everything must be done on the main thread.

If rendering stuff is written with good lock free atomics and is well thought out how to use lots of cpu cores, it should be crazy good performance. However most are just using it lazily as a way to get things to run on linux/crapple, and if you are lazy with it, it will run worse than DX11.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone get put in jail in the goblin area?

2 of us did, a little bit of time apart... the first one didn't realize they took your gear and stuff and hadn't gotten it from the equipment chest.

Once we realized both those characters were missing gear we went back and only the 2nd person who got put in jail had gear in the equipment chest.