Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'm totally with you on this. I'm wondering if WoTC wouldn't want an expansion because they know 5e high level play is borked. The things Larian would have to do to "fix" it would probably be substantial.

There were great ways to get around a lot of it though. Did you know Mustard Jellies had a 100% Magic Resistance, and you could polymorph into one? Imagine being a high level wizard and some guy turns into yellow slime and beats the shit out of you while you helplessly throw spells at him?

Imagine being a mighty Shadow Dragon and getting laid low by a pile of animated goop.
Is 5E tabletop borked in high levels too? Are there many reasons for this?

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
Pro tip: At some point in the game (prior to act 2), you can enter a chair in the mountain pass area to potentially cure the parasite. If you do...

get the fuck out of the chair as soon as possible if you use it at all, don't do the saving throws at all if you can help it. I tried to make some saving throws. While I won the throws, it gave me perma stat loss every time. You literally get brain damage, it's not worth it lol. I played for an hour after that until I noticed I had more negatives on saving throws than usual, then I saw the debuff
That's why you bring a certain Githyanki fighter companion along and let her take the chair for a test drive first.

Not so smart now, are you Lae'zel? I mean that literally - you wanted to undergo purification so badly, and now you've permanently lost -2 INT.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
There is a lot of Underdark in Act 1. I am 33 hours in now and I am still in Act 1. Been in the Underdark fucking around for while now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I’m shamelessly parachuting in here without having read shit just to say I fucking love this game. I’m in act three now. No idea how many acts there are and I’ve been lucky enough to have avoided spoilers. I can’t believe how much shit there is to do. I almost never replay or do multiple play throughs of RPGs but I’m thinking this will be an exception. Maybe choose the dark urge background and go straight chaotic evil, join the absolute for real (if that’s a thing?) just to see how much differently everything plays out.

All the companions wanting to fuck just because I’m intentionally choosing sympathetic dialogue isn’t great, but at least they stop once you reject them. The only exception seems to be Gale. Dude can’t take a hint.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Is 5E tabletop borked in high levels too? Are there many reasons for this?
There's no real way to fix it when high level play involves a lot of powerful reality warping magic. Earlier editions are the same way, but I feel like they lean into it and embraced it a little more then. Basically the game turns into Rocket tag where it's Quake II and everyone has a rocket launcher. The first ones to shoot usually win. Taking Improved Initiative was really important for a caster because martial characters could dump 200+ damage on you in a round, and if you could go first and drop a Maze/Forcecage/Time Stop to take someone out of a fight quickly.

The design and publishing also reflects this: In 3.0/3.5 Dungeon magazine printed several high level adventure paths: Age of Worms, Shackled City, Savage Tide, Maure Castle, etc.

In 5E I think Dungeon of the Mad Mage is the only one that goes to 20. There are several that say 15-16

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I’m shamelessly parachuting in here without having read shit just to say I fucking love this game. I’m in act three now. No idea how many acts there are and I’ve been lucky enough to have avoided spoilers. I can’t believe how much shit there is to do. I almost never replay or do multiple play throughs of RPGs but I’m thinking this will be an exception. Maybe choose the dark urge background and go straight chaotic evil, join the absolute for real (if that’s a thing?) just to see how much differently everything plays out.

All the companions wanting to fuck just because I’m intentionally choosing sympathetic dialogue isn’t great, but at least they stop once you reject them. The only exception seems to be Gale. Dude can’t take a hint.
This will be my second run too lol.

This game my party ended up being:
  • Great Old One Warlock - Githyanki (PC) - Gish/Pact of the Blade character. Works well.
  • Lae'zel - Battlemaster fighter is really strong.
  • Karlach
  • Shadowheart (made her into a Lore Bard)
Dark Urge Run:
  • Crit focused Cleric/Paladin. Dark Urge IDK race.
  • Gale (Storm Sorcerer).
  • Thief
  • Minthara

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Guy did a follow up video of BG3 and developers response / state of gaming for those interested:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
i havent read a post on this.

I love it and im 2.5 hours in. I went brd like a basic bitch and its so fun. But Im worried on group comp and might need to re roll a tank

That said, great stuff. But damn they went so far on the new lore nad shit

Im not up to date. I played BG1 and 2 for thousands of hours as a teen. Now instead of bandits im fighting 2 bosses fghting each other while i crash a space ship?
IMG_1537.jpeg

• 9Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 10 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Guy did a follow up video of BG3 and developers response / state of gaming for those interested:

I can see it now:

“Praise of Baldur’s Gate 3 is as racist as you think”

“Making a game that has the scope and depth of BG3 is an insult to our trans allies”

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 4 users

Goonsquad Officer
5th made a lot of idiotic choices in the name of simplicity. Like one concentration at a time.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That's why you bring a certain Githyanki fighter companion along and let her take the chair for a test drive first.

Not so smart now, are you Lae'zel? I mean that literally - you wanted to undergo purification so badly, and now you've permanently lost -2 INT.
LOOOL, I kept her as a fighter and to tell you the truth I didnt even notice the int hit until you guys mentioned it here.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Apologies if this has already been asked: how does this game's combat compare to previous Larian games? I felt that too much of DD2 revolved around finnicky positioning to get the enemy waste their initial AP on movement. And save scumming if you guessed wrong.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Apologies if this has already been asked: how does this game's combat compare to previous Larian games? I felt that too much of DD2 revolved around finnicky positioning to get the enemy waste their initial AP on movement. And save scumming if you guessed wrong.
Its not as heavy on environment factors as the DND rules aren't as structured around them as DOS2 is. But you can still do the slippery ice and stuff. Being out of position can definitely rape you but you have a lot more tools to deal with it. Sprint actions, disengage, teleports, etc.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Crit focused Cleric/Paladin. Dark Urge IDK race.
There's really only one race for anything crit-focused: half-orc. Nothing else can compete with bumping your crit dmg from 2x to 3x.

Gale (Storm Sorcerer)
Make sure to take two levels of Tempest Cleric to be able to maximize your lightning damage. Shadowheart using that build has been carrying me through act 1 with ease. Carry around lots of water bottles to throw, or at least make sure someone else in the party is able to cast Create Water.

Also, in the long run Sorc 8 / Cleric 2 / Div Wiz 2 will be stronger than Sorc 10 / Cleric 2.

Still need to compare it to Sorlock once I get high enough level. Should be able to drop 9 eldritch blasts in a turn that each do ~30 damage, thanks to all the lightning charge items in the game.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im at like lv 8 and I still do not see the appeal of the wizzard. Yes hes got some AOE nukes, but I honestly use him more for hastes and slows rather than aoe nukes which are highly situational. Basically an opening barrage, but when the fight continues and my melee are in range of the mobs, he becomes rather useless other than his buffs/debuffs/catrips. At this point im wondering weather to change him out for another melee. Melee is just so strong in this game especially with the movement options like jump and the misty step or whatever items they have, movement is a non issue. Most are high AC/HP so they can stand a beating as well. And in a good round a melee can do 2x or more dmg to a mob than the wizzard can. Other than his int check dialogue BS, and some buff/debuff I honestly dont see a need for him. Plus I respecced my cleric to light cleric so she now has a couple of nukes herself. Maybe im just playing him wrong, help me out plz. But im wondering why have him in there with his 20hp hits if not resisted fully, if I can have another melle doing 40+ hp hits per round. Oh yeah, counterspell is a thing too. Hes good at that.

Warlock I tried too and honestly hes a waste of spot. ZDPS, at least at my levels. Sure he can hex but is it really worth having him in group for a hex? Meh, I sidelined him a while ago with his 8-10hp IF HE HITS AT ALL hits.

Last edited:

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Im at like lv 8 and I still do not see the appeal of the wizzard. Yes hes got some AOE nukes, but I honestly use him more for hastes and slows rather than aoe nukes which are highly situational. Basically an opening barrage, but when the fight continues and my melee are in range of the mobs, he becomes rather useless other than his buffs/debuffs/catrips. At this point im wondering weather to change him out for another melee. Melee is just so strong in this game especially with the movement options like jump and the misty step or whatever items they have, movement is a non issue. Most are high AC/HP so they can stand a beating as well. And in a good round a melee can do 2x or more dmg to a mob than the wizzard can. Other than his int check dialogue BS, and some buff/debuff I honestly dont see a need for him. Plus I respecced my cleric to light cleric so she now has a couple of nukes herself.

Warlock I tried too and honestly hes a waste of spot. ZDPS, at least at my levels. Sure he can hex but is it really worth having him in group for a hex? Meh, I sidelined him a while ago with his 8-10hp IF HE HITS AT ALL hits.
I do feel like AOE in this game isn’t great, at least on balanced (is it any more relevant in the highest tier?) It just seems like for the most part a lot of things aren’t grouped.

I remember in old AD&D games of yore - let’s say Dark Queen of Krynn and shit like that, the gold box games - I recall destroying fights with delayed blast fireball, cone of cold, etc.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I do feel like AOE in this game isn’t great, at least on balanced (is it any more relevant in the highest tier?) It just seems like for the most part a lot of things aren’t grouped.

I remember in old AD&D games of yore - let’s say Dark Queen of Krynn and shit like that, the gold box games - I recall destroying fights with delayed blast fireball, cone of cold, etc.
Yeah and if they are grouped, they are grouped up around your dudes, so do you nuke your team as well? Hmmm, I dont think so. Also anther thing about wiz that I hate is all the enemy just basically B line for him in almost every fight. Hes like a magnet.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Make sure to take two levels of Tempest Cleric to be able to maximize your lightning damage. Shadowheart using that build has been carrying me through act 1 with ease.
Its all about that spirit guardians spell clerics have. At least in this game from what I have seen. That shit is so OP in this game (more evil/fiend/demon type enemies) its almost like its busted. Its AOE, you can move it around by moving your cleric, and it does not dmg your other team. Once per turn dmg to everything it touches.