Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Cybsled

toward the end of act 3

Good lord raphael is a brick house. dude has 666 hitpoints, and wild ass buffs. jesus. maybe dealing with him would have been simpler.

I had trouble with it as well until I figured out he is really vulnerable to hold person and ghoul paralyze. I had Shadowheart summon 6 Necromancy of Thay ghouls (when you fully unlock the book in act 3) before the fight and during the fight I had them swarm Rapheal and stunlock him with paralyze. My monk was open hand spec, so I did additional force damage and had them jump around and kill the pillars. I kept Asterion (rerolled as a bard) on CC duty as well. This lets you focus more on the adds, then you can all gang up on him once they're down.

I am wondering if I should have kept Korilla alive, though. Not sure if you would actually get anything extra - the gloves Hope gives you are BIS for monks lol

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I swear I've never been this stressed out from an RPG, I'm

act 3 spoilers

strong shipping tav and Karlach, and some golem thing told Karlach to go in for repairs, which is my only lead for saving her. I go check out that golem factory and of course kill all the people wearing those Bane helmets and save the gnomes who are running around talking about corpses and their family. So I reload and later find a way ride the godsdamned Nautilus into the ocean to save the family and then Joaquin Phoenix pops up like Azmodan in Diablo 3 to destroy the iron throne base. So I reload after that, and am doing side quests to find some way to break this loose.

Don't reply to this, I won't read anything. If I wanted to read about the answer I'd look it up myself. I know I'm probably onlyt going to get one chance because I'm not going to reload if I've got more than a half hour into some path I've taken. I already fucked up Act 2 because of a bug with Halsin where he broke his quest line, so in my game he's crying his big bear eyes out in the shadow shithole because of a bug.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also check out the drip coming off this dream team

1692663568930.png

1692663809328.png

• 14Worf
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 15 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Man, I know the choices you make earlier have repurcussions further down the road, but I've spent a few hours in Act 3, and suddenly you get hit from all sides with big campaign altering decisions. Maybe they're not, but they seem pretty important with altering your overall trajectory.

Hoping I can roll with some riskier decisions with the mindset there's multiple ways to come out on top and achieve two opposing objectives, if that makes sense.

Example, get Wyll to break his contract, but figure out how to and manage to save his father, etc.

Seems like the game definitely gives you more than one way to skin a cat, and this really feels like the closest incarnation of a good tabletop campaign. It's just so damn fun figuring things out.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Even though my Dwarf Cleric is in a relationship with Shadowheart, he could not pass up the opportunity to get some Devil Pussy. When Mizora offered there was no way he was gonna say no, figured Shadowheart would dump him the next day. Nope, she said a man has to eat just don't leave her out next time. Shadowheart might be my new favorite female character in a video game of all time, Samus was cool but she never offered me a 3way.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Charisma is by far the most useful stat in this game, it’s almost a mistake not to put points into it even as a Wizard. There’s no reason not to, you can literally get 17 int headband in the first act with ease, can always respec later

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Charisma is by far the most useful stat in this game, it’s almost a mistake not to put points into it even as a Wizard. There’s no reason not to, you can literally get 17 int headband in the first act with ease, can always respec later
charisma is traditionally a dump stat, right next to intelligence, excepting for those classes that use them for casting. charisma is generally only as powerful as you or your dm are creative. it's a stat that is ALWAYS handled backwards. let's say you want to attack the goblin, so you roll a d20 and add the relevant bonuses and what you roll dictates how effective you were, right? if you roll high, it means you demonstrated some expertise in your attack and a low roll represents a bit of a fumble.

now, let's say instead of attacking the goblin you want to try to intimidate it, or persuade it to leave the area and never come back. the dm ALWAYS says, what do you say? and then based on whether the dm thinks what you said was persuasive or intimidating enough, sets the DC.

we can assume that our adventurer is stronger, more dexterous, more intelligent than us... there have been plenty of times when i've said "i'm fully able to admit that my 20 int wizard is smarter than i am, so can i... make an int check or something to get a clue about this puzzle or something?" but heaven forbid we treat charisma the same way. it puts a weird burden on the PLAYER to be witty and charming instead of the character.

this is why so many people ignore charisma. that also doesn't bring up whether or not your dm awards xp for social encounters (i think most dm's go with milestone xp anyways? but plenty don't). all of those issues are completely avoided in bg3. you don't have to think of what to say, there are dialogue options and then you can sort of game the results with guidance, bless, potions, etc. and i'm PRETTY sure that you get roughly equal experience for solving an encounter with words as opposed to violence (not to mention you can game the system again by getting the social xp, then killing them as they walk away)

so, this is what makes charisma so strong in bg3, though i would argue that it's not a mistake to not give your character points in it, just a different choice

Cybsled

Finally beat the game after 115 hours - did a good play through.

Ending option spoiler

I sided with Emperor and Karlach volunteered to go Mindflayer and do the gems herself. It seems to be the only option for her that prevents her going back to hell or dying in the end, unless someone knows a secret one. Mindflayer barbarian is OP as fuck lol

However, it took me 90 hours to realize I was nerfing my character by having a weapon on. I took my quarterstaff off and discovered my fists did like 3x the damage lol. Was a great game, will definitely try an evil or dark urge run eventually. Also for the final stinger scene, spoiler on the true identity of a character...

It seems to highly suggest Withers was Ao all along - I guess it makes sense since he was constantly talking about balance and refused to disclose who he was lol

Also, got this achievement - surprised more didn't get it

1692690499473.png

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
For my Tactician play-through I rerolled Laezel as a Paladin and it really works well with her whole 'holier than thou' attitude. I tried making Gale a Sorcerer, but it turns out that Wizards are just plain better than Sorcerers when you can swap out spells at any time out-of-combat. Well that and Evocation Wizard in particular has the most effective sort of 'anti friendly fire' metamagic built in.
Yeah I love the idea of Wild Magic sorcerer and meta magic is good. But in this game wizard seems to just be outright better. Counterspell can be really really clutch.

I need to try out some of the other schools though. Illusion for one. Divination giving you guaranteed solid rolls is dope too though.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
charisma is traditionally a dump stat, right next to intelligence, excepting for those classes that use them for casting. charisma is generally only as powerful as you or your dm are creative. it's a stat that is ALWAYS handled backwards. let's say you want to attack the goblin, so you roll a d20 and add the relevant bonuses and what you roll dictates how effective you were, right? if you roll high, it means you demonstrated some expertise in your attack and a low roll represents a bit of a fumble.

now, let's say instead of attacking the goblin you want to try to intimidate it, or persuade it to leave the area and never come back. the dm ALWAYS says, what do you say? and then based on whether the dm thinks what you said was persuasive or intimidating enough, sets the DC.

we can assume that our adventurer is stronger, more dexterous, more intelligent than us... there have been plenty of times when i've said "i'm fully able to admit that my 20 int wizard is smarter than i am, so can i... make an int check or something to get a clue about this puzzle or something?" but heaven forbid we treat charisma the same way. it puts a weird burden on the PLAYER to be witty and charming instead of the character.

this is why so many people ignore charisma. that also doesn't bring up whether or not your dm awards xp for social encounters (i think most dm's go with milestone xp anyways? but plenty don't). all of those issues are completely avoided in bg3. you don't have to think of what to say, there are dialogue options and then you can sort of game the results with guidance, bless, potions, etc. and i'm PRETTY sure that you get roughly equal experience for solving an encounter with words as opposed to violence (not to mention you can game the system again by getting the social xp, then killing them as they walk away)

so, this is what makes charisma so strong in bg3, though i would argue that it's not a mistake to not give your character points in it, just a different choice
Its satisfying to be able to completely bypass encounters when available
Intimidation check ? Charisma bonus
Persuasion check? Charisma bonus
Deception check? Charisma

theres occasionally a investigation/intelligence check or some wisdom/physical check but the fact that you can be a sorcerer, not a bard, but a pure caster who’s main stat is also the best dialogue check stat is some potent synergy

Sanadebe

Trakanon Raider
It seems to highly suggest Withers was Ao all along - I guess it makes sense since he was constantly talking about balance and refused to disclose who he was lol

I thought the post credit scene implied he was Jergal - his glee over the failure of the Three seemed more in place with Jergal than Ao

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Been traveling. This game really is quite good on Steam Deck. Just FYI. I still prefer desktop, but sometimes you just deal.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Auntie Ethel didn't give me as many problems as a lot of the internet seemed to have (Balanced, again, not Tac.) Beat her at Level 5. Characters with extra attack actions e.g. Zerker Karlach, especially if she has Tavern Brawler and can throw)/Thief Asterion allow you to drop the illusions pretty easily. Worst part is surviving the turn 1 onslaught, but once you bring the doubles down, she's not too bad.

Bard Performance ability check while you're attempting to read the book is hilarious; you lower the saving throw requirements by...reciting limericks while reading it, which pisses it off/breaks its focus while it's trying to influence you.

You can also troll the Magic Mirror in the same way, although it is not amused when you do so.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Auntie Ethel didn't give me as many problems as a lot of the internet seemed to have (Balanced, again, not Tac.) Beat her at Level 5. Characters with extra attack actions e.g. Zerker Karlach, especially if she has Tavern Brawler and can throw)/Thief Asterion allow you to drop the illusions pretty easily. Worst part is surviving the turn 1 onslaught, but once you bring the doubles down, she's not too bad.

Bard Performance ability check while you're attempting to read the book is hilarious; you lower the saving throw requirements by...reciting limericks while reading it, which pisses it off/breaks its focus while it's trying to influence you.

You can also troll the Magic Mirror in the same way, although it is not amused when you do so.
The boss fight with Ethel was kinda difficult on Tactician at level 5. I restarted twice. The first time because I couldn't save the hostage in time, and the second time due to rolls just fucking me and killing my party. The win was a close shave too; my MC was dying and the three others were under 20% life with no spells left. Also got the bug where you cant select a reward, when you let her go, because my MC was busy making death rolls. Luckily, I saved right before making the killing blow, to throw a healing pot first.

Cybsled

I thought the post credit scene implied he was Jergal - his glee over the failure of the Three seemed more in place with Jergal than Ao

Ah. That actually makes more sense. I focused a lot on the balance thing, but the other bits seem to fit more with that.