Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wanted to add that the tadpole access is mostly what separates the mediocre characters from the powerhouses on the roster. Cull the weak, free dispell, Stage Fright, Repulsor, and the extra social bonuses are all amazing. But the real kicker is the permanent fly without concentration. That alone trivializes so many of the fights later on. The non-tadpole NPCs are stuck using spell slots or once per rest items to maintain mobility. But a whole party of Peter Pan Mindflayers can just zip around to optimized spots (even bypassing the entire fight just before the final battle) and ignore any sort of ground hazards continuously. This is massive in any Larian game as it is. And there are a bunch of action economy manipulation abilities in the tadpole tree that I am not even touching on.

The lack of that access puts the two druid NPCs and Minsc at a disadvantage, right from the get go. And yeah with enough good social tests you can force most of the main cast into using the tadpole ascension, but it burns rep with nearly all of them and Asterion goes into basically a permanent state of butthurd over it. Minithara has zero qualms about it and is already probably one of the strongest characters in the game due to being Drow. Asterion gets a lot of vamp shit that synergizes incredibly well with Monk and dual wield setups (especially with Raphael's gauntlets) so he can do fine without it. But basically you wind up having to skunk one or two reps with your party if you want to have the all flying smackdown team at the end.

If I ever trusted the bugs enough to do the Honor mode try again, I think my party would be a Druid main, Lockadin Minthara, Monk Asterion, and Bardlock Shadowfart. Lyzell is great as an arcane warrior thanks to her racials, but they just shower Mary Sue Shadowhart with too many goodies for her to close the gap. And most of the souped up boss shit in Honor mode are stacked resistances and immunities, plus more damage. A wizard just can't survive that shit reliably with the HP gap and is useless for half the fights. And anyone who cannot stack immunities, especially critical hit and frighten, is completely fucked. The computer cheats on the dice rolls with critical hits even worse in Tactician and Honor Mode if you can believe it. And without fear immunities, weapon bonds, and shape shifting, you end up spending half your time with your thumb up your ass trying to pick up and re-equip your weapons. The L6 Cleric/Druid superfood spell fixes fear, but you don't get that until way late.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I thought it had to do with if you went from a wis class to an int class for instance your spells you cast used one or the other depending on which one you went first or lass. I've seen that numerous times but it's never really clear to me. Comes often in the BG Build sub on reddit and everyone talks like it is a known fact, but never really explain it.

Someone will post a build and people will say often you need to take the X class first then move on instead of the other way around like it's a no brainer and people agree with them.

That one is also true, but a bit more edge case. AFAIK for spells that two different classes both get ( e.g. both wizards and sorcerers get fireball ), if you have both wizard and sorcerer levels, it will use whichever the most recent one you raised is to decide if the fireball uses int or cha as a modifier. It's mostly only relevant to people who are cheesing stuff by taking one level of wizard and then learning everything from scrolls. It's also mostly of interest to dedicated min-maxers who are going to have a wizard with 10 int and don't want to use the 18 int item for whatever reason.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Never using tadpole powers made the game way more fun/strategic imo. I went back and fucked with them almost seemed like a cheat code. But when I first played I just avoided those powers because they said it would be impactful to how the game ended, which ended up being nonsense.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Never using tadpole powers made the game way more fun/strategic imo. I went back and fucked with them almost seemed like a cheat code. But when I first played I just avoided those powers because they said it would be impactful to how the game ended, which ended up being nonsense.

Reminded me of when I played FF2(FF4) as a kid and finished the game without knowing that you could cast spells on multiple targets.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Act 3 is starting to drag. No idea if most of the stuff I run across quest wise is even worth doing. Got a lot left and am already max level.

Borzak

That one is also true, but a bit more edge case. AFAIK for spells that two different classes both get ( e.g. both wizards and sorcerers get fireball ), if you have both wizard and sorcerer levels, it will use whichever the most recent one you raised is to decide if the fireball uses int or cha as a modifier. It's mostly only relevant to people who are cheesing stuff by taking one level of wizard and then learning everything from scrolls. It's also mostly of interest to dedicated min-maxers who are going to have a wizard with 10 int and don't want to use the 18 int item for whatever reason.

Thanks, didn't know what the deal was. I would have asked on reddit since it comes up often but I can't post on reddit :)

Anyone else on your character sheet on list of armor and weapons have Unknown a couple of times under simple and martial weapons?

Last edited:

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I just noticed that there a loads of American Inventor npcs in act 3 and it's annoying me.

• 1Edgelord
  • 1GreNeg
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Act 3 is starting to drag. No idea if most of the stuff I run across quest wise is even worth doing. Got a lot left and am already max level.
Make a separate copy of your save file and put it somewhere, then just play with some mods you think you'll like. The game really falls into just a narrative story in act 3.
I just noticed that there a loads of American Inventor npcs in act 3 and it's annoying me.
I didnt notice this, so I guess it just wasnt over the top like a Blizzard game. Can always mod them away completely with mods that arent from nexus mods. Or just look at it that the closer you get to the end, the darker the story gets.
Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
found 2 mods that will fix most of the tranny shit. Not sure if I'm gonna mess with them so late in this playthru and just endure. I don't want them to mess something up, like it happened to a save in act 2. But in the next evil run there will be no trannies or American Inventors.

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Worf
  • 1GreNeg
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Playing a Duergar makes stealing beyond trivial even as a non rogue past lvl 5. You can cast invis. If you get caught stealing so what, you can cast invis while in combat and invis again and just walk off and come right back and tray it agian over and over.

Borzak

Patch coming. 21GB, 150GB needed on disk. The release I saw said takes less space to delete and redownload the game than download the patch and unpack it.

Borzak

The thing on steam said new kissing videos and a lot of smaller stuff, was hype it was going to be done on valentines day but nope. One thing is now you can dismiss a companion in your group and add one at once without talking to one then the other when in camp. Supposidly fixing doors where you don't have to close it to walk through it first, but I think they have patched that and said it was fixed before and it wasn't.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

With some 650 million USD in revenue, a 90 million USD payout to the license holders seems about right, no?

Hopefully it means more DnD games in the future.
No idea what the industry standard/average contract is for licensing. Larian has never released official numbers, so anything on how much money the game made are just educated guesses.

Borzak

Patch out. Steam shows 139gb but I think that's total disk space not download.

You can group your party up and throw the hill giant elixir and apply to all of them when thrown now. Large download, lot of notes to read.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I heard a dev talk why they are not on Steam and he mentioned 30%, but this could be for small time studios, maybe the larger ones can negotiate better deals?

Daidraco

I heard a dev talk why they are not on Steam and he mentioned 30%, but this could be for small time studios, maybe the larger ones can negotiate better deals?
Yea. I think maelfyn maelfyn was talking about percentages at one point and it being up there like that. But I cant imagine a studio dropping a game like BG3 would have to eat that much loss to Steam.