Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
3233618E-0FF0-44C5-9221-DB7A425FA91F.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The first time I saw this series was in 2004 when I was in airborne school. There’s a LOT of down time waiting in the hangers for planes and all the paratroopers getting their chutes and equipment checked by the jump masters.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They are all very good, but the Bastogne episode is mental. I love this series, seen it quite a few times, and it's always a pleasure to watch.

Pacific was decent but not as good.
Yea the Bastogne episode is where you understand how these guys get PTSD and freak out when fireworks go off. The part where the guy is running to get in the foxhole......man that gets me every time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This needs a 4K release already. I’m kinda surprised that they didn’t release it for the 20th anniversary, actually.

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Pacific was decent but not as good.
See, I thought The Pacific was just as good, but for a lot of different reasons. European theatre was BY FAR the more "glamorous" war. The shit the dudes in the Pacific went through though? JFC. Up all night waiting for Japs to ambush you while you get to listen to crocs munching on your dead enemies/comrades? Fuckin' horrific.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it needs so many rewatches to pick up tiny things like when buck gets shot at market garden and he told em to leave em
b26b8ec2c12dccfdffefc803a132f672.jpg

then holy shit when you watch bastonie and ptsd

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
See, I thought The Pacific was just as good, but for a lot of different reasons. European theatre was BY FAR the more "glamorous" war. The shit the dudes in the Pacific went through though? JFC. Up all night waiting for Japs to ambush you while you get to listen to crocs munching on your dead enemies/comrades? Fuckin' horrific.
The scene in Pacific where the guy falls off the boat and they throw him a life preserver and then realize that nobody can pick him up. That was horrific to me. Throw me a fucking gun, not a life preserver.

• 2Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
This is in the works:

Seems like a spiritual follow up based on the air war. Might be good as it's the same production company as BoB and Pacific. The air scenes in BoB when they were dropping into Normandy were great.

• 1Mother of God

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
never saw this
eps 1 is weak

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
never saw this
eps 1 is weak
Once they get into all the island warfare shit it gets good. You'll probably hate it though, because it's basically a documentary about us eliminating the Skaven Horde - aka your kin.

• 2Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Once they get into all the island warfare shit it gets good. You'll probably hate it though, because it's basically a documentary about us eliminating the Skaven Horde - aka your kin.
when does it get good eps2 is pretty suck ass too

also these assholes look like theyre 40, not just turned 18 kids

it's especially horrible when some guy is supposed to be 20 but his crows feet shows through island dirt on face

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Camera quality, special effects and such. Pace can be a bit slow in some episodes too. Still a good show but you can tell its almost 30 years old.

I'd be surprised if you weren't pretty young

I just did a re-watch not long ago and got none of this. You're brain has been broken by modern and social media. Especially the pacing comment.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Of the war books I've read

1639619825718.png

reminds me the most of the show. It's about the first world war and the US's involvement in it and then story of how we came to have a Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Lots of history, larger than life figures, all that jazz.

For actual shows Generation Kill gets the closest?

1639620132252.png

Follows around a company of Marines during the first Iraq War.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'd be surprised if you weren't pretty young

I just did a re-watch not long ago and got none of this. You're brain has been broken by modern and social media. Especially the pacing comment.
i mean bastone was a hollywood set, not out in the actual forrest, who could tell?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
when does it get good eps2 is pretty suck ass too

also these assholes look like theyre 40, not just turned 18 kids

it's especially horrible when some guy is supposed to be 20 but his crows feet shows through island dirt on face
The beginning stuff with Leckie I didn't care for either. It starts to get good once Sledge comes in and Leckie goes to the psych ward. I think it's somewhere around episode 3-4ish?

The thing you have to remember is that the Pacific theater wasn't nearly as glamorous as Europe. It was just a brutal slog through island after island. It's not great from an, "OMG PEW PEW SO KEWL!!" standpoint - I found it amazing from a, "holy fuck, the shit those dude's psyches had to endure.." standpoint. Final episode really brings it home.

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Pacific was still a great series, just a bit slower out the gate. With BoB, the first episodes are slower but good as you've got Sobel giving them shit from the get go and that forges a bond between the men, plus the training was a pretty interesting story anyway.

I think Bob just built the characters better at the beginning.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fuck I remember watching this on HBO when it came out in 2001 and thinking how old Ross looked. Motherfucker is a baby in that shot.
Getting old is fucked up.

I was active duty from ages 18 to 24. I remember the crusty old officers and senior enlisted guys who seemed ancient. Like one of my XO's who I was so impressed when he maxed out the PT test (keep in mind he was a fucking Major in Special Forces, so uh, shouldn't be a surprise, but he seemed old).

That XO was probably mid-30s. Even the oldest guys were probably early to mid 40s. The O-3s and E-7s that were mature leaders were likely all in their fucking 20s still.

I live in a military town and see all these active duty people and think they all look like children. The ones who look my age are probably getting close to retirement.

And speaking of Bastogne, we used to live on Bastogne Ave on Fort Campbell in the officer housing. Probably didn't appreciate the history of that place when I was there (although it's hard to give a shit about the 101st when you're not in the division).

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Pacific was still a great series, just a bit slower out the gate. With BoB, the first episodes are slower but good as you've got Sobel giving them shit from the get go and that forges a bond between the men, plus the training was a pretty interesting story anyway.

I think Bob just built the characters better at the beginning.
they have a whole episode where theyre just fucking around in australia

• 1Like