Bar Ownership?

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Sounds like you need to plan a business trip to do some research

http://www.gamesradar.com/tokyos-underground-game-bars/

Socializing at a nerd bar, better have some hot anime maid theme going too.http://moderntokyotimes.com/2012/02/...aid-cafe-bars/

But yeah, lets say 1/1000 people are interested in your bar, and they go out twice a year to your place. Lets say you need 50 people a night to survive at all. So lets say 10k unique visits a year. You need a target population of 10,000,000 people to survive, or be a major tourist destination that gets a ton of geek traffic. AKA Tokyo and ideally Akihabara, that gets several million geek visitors a year. Or New York city,http://www.yelp.com/biz/two-bits-ret...0video%20gameshttp://barcadebrooklyn.com/A place like Los Angeles is probably too small of a city to support the niche.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've been into gaming for two decades and have worked as a programmer for one. Of all the nerds I've known I can think of exactly zero who would want to go to a 'nerd bar'.

I think your problem is that real nerds don't think of themselves as nerds, they think of themselves as enthusiasts for a particular field. I would consider going to a bar that was themed based on something I really liked, but generally shit that I like doesn't involve going out drinking unless it is drinking.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I've never been here cause I don't drink at all. But lots of nerd birthday parties go down at this place and it's always packed when I drive by.

http://www.afktavern.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/afk-tavern-everett-2
Their branding is horrid. ;_; Particularly the menu...

This review on Yelp, "I didn't get any of the menu references,but the staff worked really well to help me getgluten free pasta.", pretty much points out the fact that it's impossible to navigate as well, haha.

Apparently they also have terrible customer service. Regardless of what niche you're trying to fill, nothing will close your doors faster than a poorly managed staff.

Another fun review, "I've been here twice. The first time the service wasn't great, but not enough to keep me from coming back. However, after my most recent visit I will not return. Being completely ignored by our waiter was not a good experience. The novelty of being a "gamers bar" will fade soon enough and they will not have anything worthwhile to stay in business."

-----

To the OP, I think you should think less about what kind of skin you want to throw on your restaurant and recognize that it's a restaurant first. If you want to open a restaurant/bar, start researching restaurant/bars. Then you can move on toward a niche.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Very first thing you need to do is start putting together a business plan. And I don't mean "I plan to open a gamer bar" I mean an actual document you can take to lenders which includes things like demographics, market research, income estimates, etc.http://www.forbes.com/2007/05/09/pal...inessplan.html

After you have that, and if you think your numbers in that plan will pan out to a successful business, you will need to find financing. Even the easiest business loans to obtain (SBA loan) are going to require some sort of down payment. If you don't have the down payment, you will need to find some outside investors, I wouldn't count on finding some sort of angel investment for that type of business and would instead look to take on partners.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Forgive me if I'm way off, as I said, I'm quite new to this, just seeing how possible the idea is. I assumed people got small business loans, loans from banks, investors, or other sources to provide capital to start a business. That said, I also understand that these loans from banks are hard to get for a vice business that has a pretty low rate of success. But I don't KNOW much of anything, which is why I am asking for advice or stories from people who've already been through similar circumstances. If I misunderstood the point of the board, I apologize.
Money isn't flowing like it was pre-recession. It wasn't long ago that it was so tight that they weren't funding start-ups period. I believe the banks are asking for at least two years' industry experience, and they want more of your money in the deal than theirs.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The main problem I see with this theme, is that a lot of the activities that would keep the nerd/dork crowd entertained for long periods of time are also activities that don't go well with drinking large volumes of alcohol. I'm a big beer drinker, and an avid video game player, but I find it difficult to actually get drunk while seriously into playing something for hours. It distracts you from other stuff(namely eating and drinking). Dave & Busters does well with this because they promote themselves more as a family-friendly restaurant(that just happens to have a bar), there are a TON of kids there all the time. Sports bars work because the entertainment that keeps people there is completely passive(watching a football game or whatever). Plenty of time to just mindlessly sit there and drink, you don't have to actually do anything, or think much while watching TV. And to that end, I don't see old movies on the TVs keeping people in the place and drinking. It's a nice extra to have on in the background, but it isn't something that people would come there specifically for.

If you go towards the tabletop-gaming route, then that also tends to skew towards not drinking alcohol. If people are serious about playing some board game, or pen & paper game for hours on end, they aren't wanting to get smashed, they actually want caffeine to stay alert and awake.

My friends and I are all dorks, we play lots of video games but we're also big sports fans, so we go to bars and drink while watching games. I can't envision a scenario where I would want to go to a bar to game for hours on end. Also, women. Good luck bringing in attractive females to a LOTR/D&D/XBOX themed bar, unless they work there(and that only goes so far). The most successful bars in my immediate areas are the ones with very active nightlife and a good mix of male & females. If you cant pack your bar full of young co-eds on Thurs/Fri/Sat night who are buying copious amounts of shots and expensive mixed drinks for the women, then you probably aren't going to go real far in the bar business.

Elerion

N00b
There's a bar reminiscent of what you're thinking of in Oslo, Norway. It's very popular.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/tilt-oslo

A few tips which I believe have given them their success:
- Location. The bar is located in the middle of the main hipster/music scene nightlife area (as opposed to the upscale nightlife areas and the trashy nightlife areas). The city's most popular music venue is right next door, making it an ideal place to hang out before/after concerts.
- Shuffleboard. It's fun as fuck, rather cheap, it's played in groups of up to 4v4 rather than 1v1, it's very social and it's in the middle of the bar so everyone sees it and gets curious. This serves as a hook to get people to go there because it's something most places don't offer.
- Microbrews. A good selection of microbrews will attract a lot of people these days.
- Vintage arcade machines and pinball tables add to the atmosphere, but I rarely see people play them at night. Don't make this the focus of your bar.
- Moderation in terms of the "nerdy stuff" decor. No one is ashamed to go there due to the nerd stigma.

Basically, you need to appeal to a broad audience. Don't make it too nerdy, or you'll scare "regular people" away. you probably need to appeal to hipsters and other "alternative" crowds. Hipsters overlap with nerds, and generally go out more. You'll need these guys there to keep it running day in, day out.

As for the business aspects, listen to Eomer. Starting a bar is a really high risk project, most fail.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
We had a Barcade open up last Friday here in Columbus. It was fun for a while and all the games are freeplay but I worry about the sustainable business tactic with that. The drinks were a little steep in price and the arcade selection wasn't huge.

If they don't implement a wicked happy hour, and rotate some games in an out they place will probably be dead within a year or two.

Having a novelty business can have a big boom at first but burn out quickly. Keep that in mind along with the previous stated fact that most bars fail.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone who is contemplating opening an eating/drinking establishment should read "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony Bourdain IMO. I know it's pretty dated now, but it's a blast to read and funny as hell and will give you a lot to think about.

In particular, check outthis chapter.

Sinter1_sl

shitlord
We had a Barcade open up last Friday here in Columbus. It was fun for a while and all the games are freeplay but I worry about the sustainable business tactic with that. The drinks were a little steep in price and the arcade selection wasn't huge.

If they don't implement a wicked happy hour, and rotate some games in an out they place will probably be dead within a year or two.

Having a novelty business can have a big boom at first but burn out quickly. Keep that in mind along with the previous stated fact that most bars fail.
http://barcadebrooklyn.com/

Barcade in Williamsburg (ok hipster heaven) has been successful for a while and gets pretty packed. They have an awesome selection of craft beers which probably also helps draw in a crowd.

It's doable, but as others discussed, it's risky. For every Barcade, I'm sure there have been a dozen failures.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I appreciate very much all the input and discussion. As to some of the questions:

The place I'm thinking of locating is near a revitalized downtown, and right in the middle of the hipster/artsy part of town. There are at least two other areas within a couple of miles of my location that are undergoing or have already been revitalized. There are a few local colleges within a few miles of the location, some within biking distance.
The idea IS to socialize, not play magic or warhammer for hours. There are hobby stores for that sort of thing. Karaoke, cosplay contests (part of the plan to draw in females), and yes xbox but it will have like halo or madden, nothing that's going to require serious concentration. And if they play for hours, that's fine, as i'll charge them for it.

The main theme for this place is not a bunch of sweaty nerds playing games, but a place for people with PASSIONS, to find others who share them and hang out. If those passions be lord of the rings, or trek, or comics, or sherlock, or harry potter, it's irrelevant. The fucking Avengers made more money than any movie in HISTORY. Kids today and even people of drinking age have grown up in the era of Donner's Superman or Burton's Batman. The idea of 'nerd' as a pejorative is so outdated as to be laughable. All I want to do is provide a place where people who have those passions know they'll find fun times and good conversation. I guess I'm trying to encapsulate the atmosphere of a good party at a con, if any of you have been to one of those. Like a sports bar, it's a place to share and socialize about your specific passion. And yes, there are a lot of social nerds.

The appropriate question is, are there enough in my city, near my location, to sustain this model? I'm working on that part. But I really do appreciate the discussion.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I know a lot of the focus of the discussion has been about your (potential) theme, and that seems to be where the creative passion for the project lies, but at this point you are basically discussing which color the walls should be when you haven't even laid down a foundation yet. Couple of questions:

You mentioned you know which area of town you want to be in, do you have a location picked out? If so, how many seats (or if not, what is your anticipated capacity)?
Is this just strictly a bar or more like a pub or restaurant where you do sit down meals?
Have you looked into obtaining a liquor license both in terms of costs and logistics*?

*For example, I looked into possibly obtaining one in my state to start my own brewing operation (just to supply my own restaurants) and I had to have my location and equipment in place before they would even consider the application, and even then they still could deny it. A local tequila bar was just denied a liquor license by our mayor because he arbitrarily deemed the area to have to many active licenses already. Lots of red tape to consider.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Oh also, if you do open a nerd bar you need to get beer pitchers that look like pylons from Starcraft that way I can come in and yell at the waitstaff "I require additional pylons!"

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You could do this. You can save quite a lot of money by not having a female bathroom, as it won't be needed.

biggrin.png