Battle Breakers - Mobile/PC

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Battle Breakers had their global launch this week. It's made by Epic and is available on mobile devices as well as a standalone PC client. It's apparently been in an open beta/development for a couple years, but development was put on the backburner when Fortnite BR launched.

I gotta admit, I didn't know what the hell was going on for like the first 50-some levels and played exclusively on full auto. Once the levels started getting more challenging and I was forced to learn the game mechanics, I found that it's a lot of fun and promotes experimenting with team comps and rosters.

It's technically a gacha, but they almost go out of their way to not make you buy anything. You get some of the best heroes in the game in the first hour-ish of playing.

Thematically, the game's 2D animations and music are intentional callbacks to 90's era cartoons. Gameplay-wise, while it looks like a puzzle/match game, it's more of a turn based RPG with an elemental weakness/matching mechanic layered on top.

This launch trailer doesn't show much gameplay-wise, but definitely gives you an idea of the aesthetic:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
Trying this out. No clue what is going on but it seems pretty cool. Why do the crystals change color?

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Trying this out. No clue what is going on but it seems pretty cool. Why do the crystals change color?
When you play manually, performing an action with a hero of the same color as the board gives them a small mana regen, bonus atk, and hp heal.

7510F951-1B28-4481-A3CE-7E9AAE2ACE6C.jpeg

EF225957-A295-4D53-8015-FBD316AA9374.jpeg

6F33D9C8-96FC-4B67-98E2-17B93CF16C90.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I played this for a bit.

It actually has some real tactics to it, to favor PC play in a way most don't.
yes, read the instructions. theres mechanics not laid out well in the tutorial.

free to play gems. You get a ton from playing. But, they will run out eventually.
Join the discord. theres some hiddenstuff, you might need hints on.

Keys can be farmed in trials. gold can be farmed about anywhere.
marketplace 12h reset, buy it out.

I stopped becuase it still, like all of these games, is a massive skinnerbox. Without energy costs, you can play nonstop...

laric is probably the best starter.

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
Been playing this a lot since I started and holiday weekend. Up to level 56. The combat is a lot of fun once you get past being able to easily full auto everything. I'm hooked.

• 1Solidarity

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Been playing this a lot since I started and holiday weekend. Up to level 56. The combat is a lot of fun once you get past being able to easily full auto everything. I'm hooked.
Don't forget to do the Events. This weekend it looks like it's all elixir based - mana, major, and minor elixirs. Last weekend it was all the elemental essence dungeons. At 25 gems per reset, I think the essence dungeons are the cheapest way to get immediate essences?

Nice thing about a lot of these dungeons is once you beat them you can just "Blitz" them (ie insta-complete) for the rewards.

As Caliane said, if you run out of keys you can farm more from Trials. I've not found a situation where I've needed to farm yet, though (almost level 160).

Also, that dark element Beastman Champion you got for the global launch reward is stupid good for auto. Put him in the top left position (I think that's the first one for auto?) and he'll use his special skill - Auto attack on EACH turn for like 5 turns (more if he's the commander). He's also really good for limited turn levels because his special activates for several turns but only costs one turn.

I bought the battle pass for $5 because I wanted to support the game, but I don't feel any need or pressure to spend money on this game at all. First gacha I've played that doesn't have limited energy.

Last edited:

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
There's some things in this game that other gachas would do well to replicate... like your account level giving you basically AA points and the leveling of heroes with xp currency. Don't have to worry about getting a new hero cuz you can max level them instantly.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
I'm lvl190 on this now and it's quite fun and requires little face time with the right team. The downside is I dont see a lot of end game content and certain heroes (lady sun and celicia especially) trivialize 95% of the game.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I'm lvl190 on this now and it's quite fun and requires little face time with the right team. The downside is I dont see a lot of end game content and certain heroes (lady sun and celicia especially) trivialize 95% of the game.
Yeah, I do wonder what their plans are for future content. I’m about to be in a similar position.

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
Yeah it will be interesting to see how much epic puts into it. They do a lot for fortnite but obviously that's a huge cash cow for them.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Current battle pass is set to expire tomorrow evening. Wonder if there’ll be an immediate replacement or a break between seasons?

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
Finally got Guan Yu. Missed the quest a few times while working but they put it up 3 times in the last day. Yay. The battlepass is so much value. Infinite levels and some pages are a 1000 gems. Not to mention all the cores and rare mats.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Is this comparable to anything else out there? Just wondering so I don't have to download it if its like something that I don't like. lol

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is this comparable to anything else out there? Just wondering so I don't have to download it if its like something that I don't like. lol
in the overall sense its comparable to every hero collector idle game.

• 1Like

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Apparently the Battle Pass will last through Dec 15th. The timer is a display bug from “an unrelated maintenance” shortly after launch. Looking at the Fortnite battle pass schedule, the new pass started the same day (immediately?) as the old one ended. Obviously this isn’t the cash cow that Fortnite is, so we’ll see.

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
I wouldn't mind a few days in between so that I don't feel like I have to compulsively grind BP levels.