Battle Brothers

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Anyone have any experience with this game? It's just above the cut off of what I will pay to see if a game is crap or not, or actually expect something. $29 now on steam.

Battle Brothers

Of course the first thing I thought of was these guys.

c1b57f0e0cef96eda0b284383796c8a3.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think i grabbed it on sale recently or maybe i just have it on watch.

Looks really tempting like some games of old. Want to say comments on it said it's kinda rough though.

One thing i find when chasing Games similar to ones i wax nostalgic on, is I'm not sure new indie games fuck it up. Rather i don't have the patience i did as a kid when it would be many months between new games.

Now i have a 30 game back log and struggle to keep up with new stuff.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
There was a streamer on twitch last night playing but I was in the middle of something else. Gonna try and find someone else or possibly him, he seemed to know a lot on the game.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I owned it for the last moth of early access, really enjoyable game. Small team of one programmer and one art guy but really good result. I think I sunk a good 40 hours into it so far. Will cycle back around later to start another campaign.

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
Resurrecting this thread to point out that there's an expansion coming out for this in a couple of weeks. I really liked this game a lot. Feels to me like it's made to be played on iron man. Can't recommend it enough. Lots of fun building up my mercenary company just to watch all unravel horribly at some point.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I have 71 hours in this game, and enjoyed at least 65 of those.

Its basically a mount & blade like world-map, with roaming enemies. Combat is on a grid based map, its like blood bowl but elevations / cover and the importance of each action make it more complex.

You command a small group of characters which you can skill / gear to different kinds of archetypes (tank, archer, melee dps, AE, pikeman, ..), gear can make them better against armor but weaker against flesh, blunt weapons are good against skeletons, the typical stuff, when put together it makes for a pretty deep and very enjoyable game.

Your dudes can and will get wrecked (lose an eye or a limb, or just straight up die) from very good rolls for the PC, though not too often if you play well.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Now I want to play this again but I have to work tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
I'm going to wait for the expansion to hit in 2 weeks. Then I'll dump some more hours into it. I love this game.

Witless

Trakanon Raider
Bumping this thread. Next expansion, Warriors of the North, comes out on the 9th. The game is fun and addicting, the content is quality in terms of artwork and very few bugs, and so far each expansion has been decently priced.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I think i grabbed it on sale recently or maybe i just have it on watch.

Looks really tempting like some games of old. Want to say comments on it said it's kinda rough though.

One thing i find when chasing Games similar to ones i wax nostalgic on, is I'm not sure new indie games fuck it up. Rather i don't have the patience i did as a kid when it would be many months between new games.

Now i have a 30 game back log and struggle to keep up with new stuff.

I frighteningly resemble this. I bought it on sale sometime last year, maybe played an hour or two. One of those games I WANT to play but never get around to doing so.

I watched a couple of videos - spears are front line melee kings are they not?

Witless

Trakanon Raider
Spears are useful early game because of their hit chance bonus and later they have some use adjusting the enemy AI with spearwall. But they fall off as a main weapon pretty quick due to their low damage potential and limited secondary ability. Each weapon tends to have a niche they are really good at and end game you want a variety of specializations depending on your tactics. The game is pretty decent at allowing a variety of tactics and team compositions being viable late game.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This game is awesome. I like it better than Xcom.

The combat rolls can be annoying but it comes with the territory with these type of games. Playing on ironman is rough but the game is super rewarding. Lvling up your bro's is satisfying and the variety of enemies and map features really put this game in a category of its own IMO.

Once you get the hang of it , it really does turn into a fun game.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
There was a FLC for this game about a month ago that added a couple new origins and classes for anyone that missed it.

This game is such a gem for anyone that likes turn based games, highly recommended if you haven’t tried it yet.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My friend just bought this game for me and I've sunk 16 hours into it over 3 days.

Lot of fun. There's a good deal of depth to explore and mastering the game is very satisfying, due to the steep learning curve.

Once you start killing orcs you really feel accomplished.

• 1Like

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
Battle Brothers is one of my favorite games. I just love playing the game in ironman mode and restarting a new company after my previous one gets wrecked. I absolutely love the game.

I just picked up Wartales after the most recent update. I like it a lot so far. I suspect by the time all is said and done I'll end up liking Wartales more. It has better graphics, obviously, but I like their decisions with weapons, classes, and progression trees. Right now I still think Battle Brothers is the better game, but it's been around for several years and has 3 or 4 expansions. Wartales is still in early access, so I expect the depth and breadth to grow as time goes on.

• 1Like

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
Not to thread-jack, but does Wartales have adjustable difficulty? I'm too old and lazy these days to enjoy playing hard games.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Not to thread-jack, but does Wartales have adjustable difficulty? I'm too old and lazy these days to enjoy playing hard games.

Yes, it does - a variety of different difficulties for various aspects of the game, as a well as a non-scaling mode where you can outlevel stuff to avoid needing a high degree of skill at the game.