Battlefield Portal

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

The new Portal mode in Battlefield 2042 lets players build custom matches using content from 4 different Battlefield games. Battlefield 2042, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield Bad Company 2, and Battlefield 3 will all have content in the Portal mode.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Shit looks dope as hell. Need us a community server!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Everything about that video was incredible. I normally am hesitant to give EA a dime, but I'm finding it difficult to resist after that.

• 1Like
  • 1Moron

Hekotat

I need to know more about it, they stated it wasn't a part of 2042 so is it a separate product, separate price? Is it free to play and you just need BF2042 to use it?

How much can you customize each match, can you customize as maps rotate through? For instance all modern combat one map, then the next map is CQC with bolt actions only. This has the potential to really be amazing and keep things interesting but I'm worried it's going to be watered down.

Hopefully they open it up to modding so the full potential is really achieved.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I wonder how this will work? Will it be custom servers? Will this new game even have private servers like BF4 did? If its a custom game mode how do you invite peopel, etc...

Hekotat

I wonder how this will work? Will it be custom servers? Will this new game even have private servers like BF4 did? If its a custom game mode how do you invite peopel, etc...
From what I gathered you can rent your own server and change it as you see fit.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well thats awesome then. Thats what was missing from BF1 and BF5 im glad they are bringing it back. Private servers are so much better with cheating than normal Dice ones. Plus in BF4 the custom games they made were really awesome too. This will be just better all around.

Hekotat

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Do you rent your server from EA or can you stand one up anywhere? I can easily build Oracle Cloud servers effectively for free.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Do you rent your server from EA or can you stand one up anywhere? I can easily build Oracle Cloud servers effectively for free.
BF servers have been EA or trust partners only since BC2. Id imagine this is the same.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
From memory they were pretty cheap to rent, were they not? Or am I thinking other game? Was it tied to how many players on a server?

spronk

FPS noob
Yeah seems just like custom rule set games for BF2042, but its NOT custom servers like in BF4. Its still run by EA, you can just temporarily host games on them. From the FAQ

Will there be Community Servers?​

In Battlefield Portal, players will be able to host servers where they can run custom games or use preset modes, like Conquest, Team Deathmatch, Rush, and other fan-favorites available at launch. These servers are created when you make a match and then shut down once the server is empty.

Probably the most popular - like 64 v 64 knives vs defibs or zero planes vs F35s - will be in perma rotation and rules that people make that prove very popular will be perma'd, but end of the day its still DICE servers with custom rule sets and no real admins other than DICE/EA.

Still all the same problems of cheating, bots, cross play, etc. I have the game preordered on PS5 so will probably have cross play off so I can play in peace.

It also all sounds like its part of BF2042, while the maps from previous games will be in place you can't just run it from another game or whatever, and its not f2p. You must own BF2042 to run this stuff.

Open beta is in September so still a bit away

• 1Like

Hekotat

Yeah seems just like custom rule set games for BF2042, but its NOT custom servers like in BF4. Its still run by EA, you can just temporarily host games on them. From the FAQ

Will there be Community Servers?​

In Battlefield Portal, players will be able to host servers where they can run custom games or use preset modes, like Conquest, Team Deathmatch, Rush, and other fan-favorites available at launch. These servers are created when you make a match and then shut down once the server is empty.

Probably the most popular - like 64 v 64 knives vs defibs or zero planes vs F35s - will be in perma rotation and rules that people make that prove very popular will be perma'd, but end of the day its still DICE servers with custom rule sets and no real admins other than DICE/EA.

Still all the same problems of cheating, bots, cross play, etc. I have the game preordered on PS5 so will probably have cross play off so I can play in peace.

It also all sounds like its part of BF2042, while the maps from previous games will be in place you can't just run it from another game or whatever, and its not f2p. You must own BF2042 to run this stuff.

Open beta is in September so still a bit away

If that's the case, the servers are going to be an absolute shit show full of hackers. The only servers worth playing in BF1/BF4 are the community servers that are actually moderated.
All the official servers are filled to the brim with hackers and not fun to play on, BF5 has an obvious hacker in almost every match. Unless they actually invest in tools and admin to police these servers it will kill the community quickly. Yes, it really is that bad on their servers currently and has been for the past two years.

I'm not sure how they could be this obtuse.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yep private moderated srervers were on top of that shit too. Once a cheater arrived he was gone in seconds. Its why those servers were so popular in BF4.

Hekotat

Yep private moderated srervers were on top of that shit too. Once a cheater arrived he was gone in seconds. Its why those servers were so popular in BF4.

There are so many incentives to letting others rent the servers that it's absurd, why are they so idiotic when it comes to that and modding.

spronk

FPS noob
the answer to "why" is always money

MTX and battle passes and loot boxes and shit would be fucked with private servers, since they could easily boost that kinda stuff

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

200.gif

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

The new Portal mode in Battlefield 2042 lets players build custom matches using content from 4 different Battlefield games. Battlefield 2042, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield Bad Company 2, and Battlefield 3 will all have content in the Portal mode.

Holy fuck I just watched the video. This is pure fuckin badass!@! I can't wait to play Valparaiso!!

• 2Like