Battlefield Portal

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I wonder how EA play pro will work into all this. Maybe cheaper rental servers or just free if you subscribe?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
God damnit, I was done with EA after BF1 and BFV. Then they drop shit like this and pull me back in.

quit you brokeback mountain GIF

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah as long as they dont fuck it up, this is shaping up to be the biggest BF ln like EVER.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
For some reason I was under the impression that the users can own/buy servers.

They came out and said that would not be an option like in BFV, which is riddled with hackers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
as i said earlier, there is zero chance there will be private servers in any future battlefield, COD, fortnite, R6, etc game. It fucks up MTX and battle passes if you do that, since servers can be edited to massively boost drop rates, drop items, and otherwise fuck with the real money.

these companies earn way more in MTX now than actual game sales. COD earned $5 billion in MTX in 2020, compared to under ~$1b in just game sales. That train ain't changing anytime soon.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
as i said earlier, there is zero chance there will be private servers in any future battlefield, COD, fortnite, R6, etc game. It fucks up MTX and battle passes if you do that, since servers can be edited to massively boost drop rates, drop items, and otherwise fuck with the real money.

these companies earn way more in MTX now than actual game sales. COD earned $5 billion in MTX in 2020, compared to under ~$1b in just game sales. That train ain't changing anytime soon.
Umm, so make the servers not be able to do this? I mean this isnt some rocket science. Besides what did the old BF4 private servers ever boost? When I played then, pretty much exclusively, it was rule changes, shit like no explosives, no noob tubes, instant respawns. 24/7 this map, 24/7 rotate only these mas...etc...I dont ever remeber one boosting exp rates and BF never had 'drops".

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Id imagine with this it will be like it was with BF4, you can rent "private" servers from trusted third parties or EA who host the server.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i think CS:GO allows private servers and they (famously) support mtx skins so there's gotta be a way, but EA seems to have no interest. They'd have to pour a lot of resources into allowing server admins to have a UI to edit rule sets, tick rates, etc while also investing a lot of money into making absolutely sure there is no way for admins to run random code (plugins, etc) to alter the server. BF4 allowed a lot of private server hosting companies while every BF after that has been hosted on EA servers. I'd guess a lot of it is P2P too.

Since they can't even be fucked to prevent simple PC cheats/wallhacks it seems unlikely. I'm gonna be playing BF2042 on PS5, while its not as fun as a good PC (which I don't really have anymore) at least I can turn off cross play and not worry about cheaters

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
should this thread just be renamed Battlefield 2042 since afaik you won't be able to run portal without the game?

anyways remember there is no SP campaign in 2042, they are instead releasing a short film in a week to explain the setting of the game. kinda reminds me of the overwatch shorts

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
should this thread just be renamed Battlefield 2042 since afaik you won't be able to run portal without the game?

anyways remember there is no SP campaign in 2042, they are instead releasing a short film in a week to explain the setting of the game. kinda reminds me of the overwatch shorts

Well we have that thread already, I created this one because we didn't know what to expect and it will be two different games. Amod could merge and rename if they wanted.