Battletech

Fadaar

That guy
Could be worse. Could be the mod versions of the game where you can field 8 mechs but still get absolutely buttfucked. I'm talking 10+ assault mechs and a handful of vehicles. IMO vehicles are the biggest annoyance.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Long time so I'm a bit rusty, but I always go long range game mostly with 1-2 short range alpha mechs in general. Plenty of times you can sorta kite to more advantageous terrain. If you've been skilling, go for wiping out the weapons on super heavy tanks and I want to say for scary mechs I dont Have to salvage I'd just chest them to death. (long time so I forget, maybe it was destroy the side armor and try to get ammo to explode)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Feel like I got caught with my pants down. Not sure if I can change mechs. I'm just save scumming back to start mission.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I'm really liking this game now that I'm getting into it. Anyone recommend a general guide on lance/mech configurations that's relevant for early game? General idea seems to be 3x heavier mechs + 1 scout? I made the mistake of deploying to a mission with 3 of my 4 set up for long range only and fucked myself pretty hard on that one.

I used to run with 2 mechs stacked with LRMs for consistent (indirect) damage. Their focus fire lets you take out scouts easily, and lets you do enough stability damage to knock down heavier mechs.

Then I'd have a tanky mech with UAC / lasers and a scout stacked with medium & pulse lasers. The scout helps finish knocked down mechs by shooting off their legs.

If you can fit in a machine gun here and there on your tank, I had good results using them on exposed parts.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Early game, no mods? Stack SRMs and MLas on everything.

Exploit the base AI by reserving yourself all the way down so you move last. I.e., once you're in combat, sprint in so you have big evasion during your turn. Then on your next turn, reserve until the AI has all moved and wasted their shots on your high evasion. Then try to get to the sides and rears of them to maximize your damage to smaller numbers of locations.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Sooooooo i cheated my ass off with a save editor. I gave myself 900mil. Had the house to myself all weekend and I poopsocked like I haven't done in 20 years.

This game and Grand Theft Auto are the only games I can think of where cheating didn't ruin the game within a few hours. I was really liking it before, but I'm having a blast now that I have enough chassis and weapons to keep fiddling with. And I suck at games, so its still challenging enough to be hard in some areas.

Shadowhawk + AC20 and Highlander + anything (with enough heatsinks) are my favorites to have on the field. Highlander never gets hot in most biomes if I stack up enough equipment on it.

• 1Dislike

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Is there an interactive, online map for this game that I can use? The one I found on reddit from 2018 is dead.
The in-game filters fucking suck. Difficulty option makes sense, but I can't see anything changing when I change the biome or resource options.

I fould a "COIL-L" weapon I hadn't seen before and it's awesome on scouts. Now I want to fly around and see if there's any other weapons I haven't found yet.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Stores on planets are randomized in what they have. They refresh after 30 days if I recall.

You'd need to probably google whatever they've designated coil under as a type for research and then look for planets with that research base.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
So I was having a nap on the couch 2 weeks ago and I woke up with the unflinching desire to play Mechwarrior 5 - no idea why, but the drive was strong!. So in that game I recently acquired my first Atlas and am approaching the last quarter of the game. By the by, I have owned it since exclusive release, as my only Epic Store purchase, ever. My kid loves it as well.

Anyway, it also spurred me to reinstall Battletech, which I actually Kickstarted, but only put about 18 hours in on Steam. After some further education in MW5, I hope to bring some of that to Battletech which is WAY harder on the battlefield but pretty much identical on the Starmap.

That is all, carry on. Perhaps I will rail at my inadequacies as per Bandwagon soonest.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Eh, the meta in them is a bit different since MW5 is all called shots by the pilot while BT is dice rolls.

BT mechlab is a bit more flexible than the stock MW5 lab, but neither of them are truly lore accurate like some of the mods can make them.

At the end of the day, it’s different flavors of Pokemech, gotta collect em all.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
So I was having a nap on the couch 2 weeks ago and I woke up with the unflinching desire to play Mechwarrior 5 - no idea why, but the drive was strong!. So in that game I recently acquired my first Atlas and am approaching the last quarter of the game. By the by, I have owned it since exclusive release, as my only Epic Store purchase, ever. My kid loves it as well.

Anyway, it also spurred me to reinstall Battletech, which I actually Kickstarted, but only put about 18 hours in on Steam. After some further education in MW5, I hope to bring some of that to Battletech which is WAY harder on the battlefield but pretty much identical on the Starmap.

That is all, carry on. Perhaps I will rail at my inadequacies as per Bandwagon soonest.
Lot of good mods out for MW5 fwiw.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
They are accurate for the time period the games are set in.
Eh, not really. Some mechs have different armor (Ferro) or internal structure (Endo-steel, actuators, gyro, xl engines) that takes up crit slots that aren't reflected at all in the base mechlabs. Neither of them properly reflect internal engine double heatsinks. You can build things that aren't possible in the table top because you have more slots available to you than you would in actual lore accurate mech designs.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Eh, not really. Some mechs have different armor (Ferro) or internal structure (Endo-steel, actuators, gyro, xl engines) that takes up crit slots that aren't reflected at all in the base mechlabs. Neither of them properly reflect internal engine double heatsinks. You can build things that aren't possible in the table top because you have more slots available to you than you would in actual lore accurate mech designs.
Most of that stuff is effectively non-existent during the Lostech period, and there's a patch for the engine double heatsink oversight.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Most of that stuff is effectively non-existent during the Lostech period, and there's a patch for the engine double heatsink oversight.
Nearly all of the hero mechs in MW5 have something that doesn't show up in the mechlab.
In HBS BT, the Black Knight you can buy in the black markets has like 11 dhs in the legs. They do have very few exotic variants as compared to the PGI MW5 game though.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nearly all of the hero mechs in MW5 have something that doesn't show up in the mechlab.
Most of the XL mechs are missing the appropriate crit slots in the STs, yes ferro and endo is just magical extra tonnage but very few mechs have it and it barely makes a difference due to the way hardpoints work. Now if they did the full MWO frankenmech-style lab then yes it would be very important to track crit slots accurately, but it really doesn't matter in MW5.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
We're going down a side bar here.

My main point was that the MW5 base mechlab will feel slightly more constrained on the shittier variants of mechs than HBS BT's mechlab will on the same variants.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
1631827299241.png

Love you guys!

Yes, I do recall reading MW5 being far more restrictive in the mechlab as compared to Battletech. Lots of people bitched a bit about the specific hardpoints for designated energy, ballistic and missile weapons, but as a non-nerd scrub mech equipper, works just fine for me.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Are the gauss rifle and COIL-L generally considered the best weapons in the game? I've been using 2x light mechs + 2x heavy mechs, with a COIL-L on one light and Gauss on the other. I get a ton of fatal headshots with both of them, especially if I can get a shot off before the enemy starts stacking up evasion. They seem to have incredible accuracy, so I've just been going for the head every time. I'm really only playing 3x - 4x difficulty missions, though.

I like that I can cheat my ass off in the game and still get spanked on some missions. I'm rarely using assault mechs, though. A lot of time I'm trying to win with the entire lance at medium or under.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Coils are absurdly broken, yes.

Not sure what you're running, but if I had to guess, you've got Marauders with their busted headshot perk if you're getting that many headshots.