Beasts of No Nation

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah Bloodline is fucking great. I like Hemlock Grove and Marco Polo though so don't listen to me.

Eonan

Doer of Things
Yea gotta disagree on Marco Polo since I personally enjoyed it, but will echo the other responses here that Bloodline is a great series.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
The tell me more about your culture aspect of Marco Polo was a bit heavy handed but overall I enjoyed the show.

Sense 8 has an interesting concept but god damn is it slow to get in gear (people are surprised to see thru others eyes for the entire season) and the gay/trans thing was coated so thick it's barely tolerable after a while.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Blind man ninja training in Marco Polo is too much.

Almost as bad as Gotham villain killing people with balloons.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I liked Marco Polo, but I can see why others wouldn't. Had some pretty campy Kung Fu movie aspects, but I love Kung Fu movies..so meh. But overall acting was really good, sets were amazing, and when the story didn't roll off into Kung Fu, when it was mainly historical drama about Kublai Khan? Show was fantastic...Kublai was definitely the highlight of the show, fuck Marco Polo himself.

Marco Polo is essentially Crouching Tiger meets Rome. It works for me because I like, as said, the whole Kung Fu theme some of it had. But yes, that shit is serious camp, you need to have an acquired taste for it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That's a good way to put it. Kublai is far and away the best thing about that show.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Oh SHIT I just realized Khublai was in The Martian lolol.... kept bugging me where I'd seen that head of JPL before; he was Khublai in Marco Polo!

khorum

Murder Apologist
Automatically disqualified for the oscars then. Unless they screened in LA for seven days at some point that Im not aware of.

Cybsled

It is just the major chains that are butthurt. I'm pretty sure this film will make the rounds in the Indie/Arthouse theaters.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Favorite Sunday evening tradition, watching netflix and looking at girls smelly poopers posted on the internet for imaginary internet points. The good life.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Favorite Sunday evening tradition, watching netflix and looking at girls smelly poopers posted on the internet for imaginary internet points. The good life.
image.php

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Great acting, really gritty and disturbing story, Idris Elba. Only problem I have with this movie is it didn't seem to want to tell a complete story. It ends very abruptly and there was very little meaningful character development outside of Agu.

All the soldiers just leave the commandant alone in the jungle, get taken in by the UN, and then Agu finally goes into the ocean to let us know he might be able to become a kid again. Left me feeling like "That's it?"

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Agu's arc is that, the death of his family and forced service with stringer, left him marked in his mind, and the final conversation illustrates that. there is no moral to the story or point. which is entirely the point of the movie and book its based on.

also this is entirely agu's narrated pov story. the other characters don't require or have arcs.

Khane

I know what it was about, and I get that it was the story of Agu, but it still felt a little flat at the end.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
did you want him to find his mother and have 'that scene' where they run along the beach to embrace eachother?

Nope. Agu is fucked for life.

Khane

That would have made it way worse. No.

The movie was filled with tension and straight up evil behavior and then... "Peace we're out". That scene where they all leave the commandant wasn't very tense at all which felt a little jarring considering the previous content.