Beautiful Creatures (Not a Twilight Remake)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1559547/?ref_=hm_inth_t2

This is a quick review after seeing this with the wife. She wanted to see it and it was valentine's day so I figured what the hell and thought I would suffer through a twilight-ish piece of bullshit in the name of love. Well color me surprised but this isn't remotely like Twilight. If your faith in fantasy love story movies lately has been severely damaged by all of the teenage BS antics, steroid abusing male actors (usually two fighting over some bimbo headed girl) with story cohesion so fucked up you have to leave your brain at home locked in a steel box just so you don't froth at the mouth in anger.... well if that is how you feel then you need to go see this. Take the wife/girlfriend for bonus points and enjoy it for yourself to.

Humor was excellent, characters were well developed, fantasy lore was well within believable bounds and the love story and ending weren't over the top.

If you hated what Twilight has done to the genre go see this it will restore your faith.

I searched for Beautiful Creatures and didn't find a thread but if one exists mods feel free to merge.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
The wife saw this trailer for the first time in January and proceeded to make me read all 4 books with her. Better than twilight's universe by far, but by the 4th book they do something that's borderline time travel. (I don't want to spoil the specifics) That always felt like lazy writing to me.

Also, I read them all in under a week, combined it felt like less than 1k pages but I might be off a little.

EtadanikM_sl

shitlord
Between this, Twilight, and Warm Bodies, Hollywood is milking the crap out of the 'magical girlfriend/boyfriend' genre.

As for the film, I don't agree with critics that this is a chick flick, nor that the gender switch in roles is of minor importance. First of all, the 'magical girlfriend' hook has been done a million times in Japanese manga/anime, and the target audience for that is not teenage girls - it's male nerds. Second, the best examples of this film's genre in the last few years' cinematic productions is not Twilight, but the better in every wayLet the Right One Inand the children's filmHotel Transylvania. This is not to say this film is a nerd trip, because it's not, but it's also not the blatant harlequin fantasy that Twilight was and, absent the logic contained therein, is less grating on male viewers. This also says to me the film is not going to enjoy the same success that Twilight did, seeing that it's not a, well, teenage girl's rape fantasy.

Having said that, the film's logic and pacing becomes horrendous towards the end. I don't know whether that's because content has been cut / changed, but the finale has a poor emotional pay off and the film skips a great character building opportunity straight to the climax for no cause that I'm able to see. Provided you're willing to overlook these flaws, it's not a bad date film, but in case you're solo, just watch Let the Right One In again.

Triangular_sl

shitlord
Between this, Twilight, and Warm Bodies, Hollywood is milking the crap out of the 'magical girlfriend/boyfriend' genre.

As for the film, I don't agree with critics that this is a chick flick, nor that the gender switch in roles is of minor importance. First of all, the 'magical girlfriend' hook has been done a million times in Japanese manga/anime, and the target audience for that is not teenage girls - it's male nerds. Second, this film's analogy in the last few years' cinematic productions is not Twilight, but the better in every wayLet the Right One Inand the children's filmHotel Transylvania. This is not to say this film is a nerd trip, because it's not, but it's also not the blatant harlequin fantasy that Twilight was and, absent the logic contained therein, is less grating on male viewers. This also says to me the film is not going to enjoy the same success that Twilight did, seeing that it's not a, well, teenage girl's rape fantasy.

Having said that, the film's logic and pacing becomes horrendous towards the end. I don't know whether that's because content has been cut / changed, but the finale has a poor emotional pay off and the film skips a great character building opportunity straight to the climax for no cause that I'm able to see. Provided you're willing to overlook these flaws, it's not a bad date film, but in case you're solo, just watch Let the Right One In again.
plinkett this shit out, bro.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sigh. They deleted 3 or 4 characters outright. Merged the role of at least 2, or three if you want to stretch it. Merged the ending of Books 1 and 2 without any of the dozen plot-lines that explain and add depth to anything Not to mention shorten the time line by over a year. I wouldn't put these books in the good category by any means, decent at least, but compared to the movie that was released it's two different creatures let alone beautiful.

My wife, who loves most teen driven fantasy (twilight, mortal instruments, etc) even bitched about this movie and the inconsistencies for longer than the actual movie was. She only yells at me for 15 minutes when I fuck something up, so that says something.

Triangular_sl

shitlord
i thought this was a cute movie. better than twilight bullshit. things actually happen in this movie. table fight was hilarious.