Best casual RTS's?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
RTS' were the perfect outlet for autistic behaviour for a young kid. I used to do things like cut down every tree on an island map in Warcraft 2 and make sure every island had a ring of towers around them along with max capacity armies being positioned strategically around the map, and had navies patrolling and shit. Nevermind that the enemy only consisted of a single building out in the middle of fucking nowhere. God damn I wish I still had that sort of creative energy.

I used to do a similar thing in starcraft. I remember a map in the terran campaign where you were on a big ass island in the middle and enemy was on smaller islands in each corner and they would constantly attack by air. My strat every time was to build a shit ton of turrets all around the edge of my island and then sit there, gather all the gas and minerals, get max army and only then slowly take out one enemy at a time. I think it usually took me like 3-4 hour to do that map. Great times. I don't think I'd have the patience any more.

also HOLY FUCKING 6 YEAR NECRO

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The original company of heroes is pretty casual vs ai etc if you turn the difficulty down. Plenty of room to scale skill up too. Expacs ruined the balance though.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The thing we find w/ CoH is if you can withstand about 40 minutes of the CPU rushing the objectives and stuff their offense slows to a trickle and you're then able to push back more and hold them / move in for an annihilation. We always play capture points so that we can't just turtle, but about 10-12 minutes into a lot of games the CPU (usually a hard or two, and a standard vs 3 of us) we end up doing just that. Biggest flaw though is the CPU doesn't take that final step. Once they've got your shit good and pushed in they don't sweep through your base.

Air bursts ('the AI is shooting lava at us!') and propaganda (making your troops retreat) are soooo frustrating, lol. I think our biggest criticism with the game (that we have hundreds of hours vs the AI at this point) is there are some things that you can't counter. You can't do anything about some of the airpower abilities when they have no plane to shoot down, for example. Mortars and artillery are frustrating, but you at least have the illusion of countering those by preventing your troops from being seen.

It's such a good game though, others that have come since that are similar have been big misses for us for different reasons (Sudden Strike 4?). My friends and I all have our favorite things to do in it, I'm usually just building defenses and long range artillery, another is pretty great at running all over the map w/ masses of infantry (I fail horribly when I try and do this), and another usually has a big ass armored column on the front lines / rolling over the enemy base.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Supreme Commander is great for having some fun in RTS. Some of the units are just plain fun (big battleships) and the campaign is done decently.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
If i were to list off a "fun" RTS, i always loved C&C Generals/zero hour, but EA being EA it's not supported anymore and a headache to get running. and good luck if you have more than 1 monitor. They dont have the mouse locked to the screen so you cant scroll with the mouse.

Which is too bad because at LANs it was a fantastic RTS for the time. I was really disappointed they didnt make generals 2 on one of the frostbite engine like they teased.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Man, I need better friends. I want a group of friends that just plays Coop RTS games every once in a while. That'd be fucking sweet!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
If i were to list off a "fun" RTS, i always loved C&C Generals/zero hour, but EA being EA it's not supported anymore and a headache to get running. and good luck if you have more than 1 monitor. They dont have the mouse locked to the screen so you cant scroll with the mouse.

Which is too bad because at LANs it was a fantastic RTS for the time. I was really disappointed they didnt make generals 2 on one of the frostbite engine like they teased.
I forgot about zero hour, that was a great game. I dont remember the name of it, but there was a supersonic bomber that couldnt be shot down until after it dropped its payload. I used to cheesedick entire bases with those things on kamikaze runs.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
For single player I can recommend Men of War:, Men of War: Red Tide , Men of War: Condemned Heroes, Faces of War.
Avoid the other game in this series, like Men of War: Vietnam and Men of War: Assault Squat 1 and 2. They are Aids.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user