Best Dog Treats

Cathan

Silver Knight of the Realm
So my mom's weiner dog has cancer and he's got a few months left maybe... She's all upset about it and I live about 10 hours away.

I started researching best dog treats to send to them. Anyone got any advice here? The dog loves food and I've got to get him something quick cause his jaw is where the cancer is.

Any other suggestions on stuff a dog would really enjoy in his final days is appreciated too. Mom's having a hard time and I'd like to show her I care and let her give him some special treatment also.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Seems like the dog might have a hard time chewing, but if not, steak.

If you're needing something easier to eat, those puppy cups ice cream things might be good. They take forever to lick.

khalid

Unelected Mod
When my first dog had cancer, she basically stopped eating. Would eat something for one day, then look away in disgust the next day. Kept trying all kinds of food.

Finally, I ran out of different adult dog foods to try and gave her a can of Purina canned puppy chow. Holy shit did she like it, would eat all I could give her pretty much and kept eating it day by day. Definitely extended her life.

Same thing happened with my next dog when he got cancer. Rejecting all food. He went down from 120 pounds (and he wasn't even fat) to a rail skinny 85 pounds, he was starting to look like a holocaust survivor. Vet was talking about feeding him through a tube and I was going to put him down rather than subject him to that. Tried the ole Purina canned puppy chow again, he kept eating and went to over 100 pounds over some weeks. Lived for almost 4 more months.

Shit like this...

Chicken & RIce Puppy Food - Wet Dog Food - Purina® Pro Plan® | Purina® Pro Plan®

I don't know what they put in that shit, but if you want something that a sick dog will eat and enjoy while not requiring chewing, I don't think you can go wrong with it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
When my first dog had cancer, she basically stopped eating. Would eat something for one day, then look away in disgust the next day. Kept trying all kinds of food.

Finally, I ran out of different adult dog foods to try and gave her a can of Purina canned puppy chow. Holy shit did she like it, would eat all I could give her pretty much and kept eating it day by day. Definitely extended her life.

Same thing happened with my next dog when he got cancer. Rejecting all food. He went down from 120 pounds (and he wasn't even fat) to a rail skinny 85 pounds, he was starting to look like a holocaust survivor. Vet was talking about feeding him through a tube and I was going to put him down rather than subject him to that. Tried the ole Purina canned puppy chow again, he kept eating and went to over 100 pounds over some weeks. Lived for almost 4 more months.

Shit like this...

Chicken & RIce Puppy Food - Wet Dog Food - Purina® Pro Plan® | Purina® Pro Plan®

I don't know what they put in that shit, but if you want something that a sick dog will eat and enjoy while not requiring chewing, I don't think you can go wrong with it.
My doggie got the big mouth cancer too a while back, Beneful worked (same Purina brand that Khalid used)
ppets-3763094t400.jpg

If your dog got mouth cancer, gotta give him soft food, i have no idea WTF kind of doggie chef sorcery they do to this Beneful, but my dog would literally run to it no matter what. Aside from just steak and bacon (cuz what fucking dog can resist that), he loved this shit the most.

Honestly my dog lived like a King after his cancer surgery, everyday he'd get grilled chicken/rice and vegs, cuz you just want him to eat healthy, treats aren't going to do shit.

If you can't cook for your dog all day/every meal, I think Beneful would do wonders, they don't need treats, they need to fucking eat first and WANT to eat.

Since you're far away, you can Amazon Beneful to em, a 6 pack costs less than 12bucks, 2 dollars a meal. Course I'm sure any supermarket will have em too, but at a higher cost

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cathan

Silver Knight of the Realm
I appreciate all the responses. I made some recommendations to my mom earlier when I talked to her. It's as much for her as for her Jeff (the dog).

thanks again everyone.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
The best treats you can give any dog are fresh, real meats.

I feed all my big dogs whole fish, lamb, chicken organs etc etc as treats and there is nothing manufactured that will ever be as tasty or as good for a dog.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My dog for some reason wouldn't eat chicken liver. Kidneys, heart, and neck though she'd be all over.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
My dog for some reason wouldn't eat chicken liver. Kidneys, heart, and neck though she'd be all over.
My malamute won't eat liver either but the Sherpards love it. Likewise I can watch the mal devour entire fish in under 10 seconds while the shepherds fuck around and paw that shit like a cat.