Best Voip option for a small business?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
After about 20 years our little business is finally getting a new phone service and it seems far cheaper to go with Voip.

Nextiva is offering us 25.99 per line, free phones, but a 500 "set up fee", The last part seems like a total rip off as i'm sure i could do that on my own.

What other companies should i look at?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arative

Vyemm Raider
What is your budget like and what is your current set up like?

You could port your current numbers to a sip service and set up a freepbx box and get phones for the freepbx box.

At my work, we use our local cable company for sip service and digium switchvox for the pbx with a mix of Cisco desktop phones and zoiper soft phones.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I dont know if it is the best, but Ive personally used Ooma(#1 Ranked Free Internet Phone Service | Ooma VoIP Phone) for over 10 years in my home offices. It is easy to use and setup, offers neat phone apps and is generally painless. Quality has been good and I use their phones as well, no issues at all and Im on the phone all day.

If you want to know more or have a call with me to test it or ask questions just let me know.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What does your phone system need to do? If you're going to go with cloud-based phones, Ringcentral is probably the best.

Does your business use Office 365 by any chance?

Last edited:

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
What does your phone system need to do? If you're going to go with cloud-based phones, Ringcentral is probably the best.

Does your business use Office 365 by any chance?

Yes we do, Pretty much we have a ton of Excell stuff like i imagine most businesses do.

We just need them to be able to say a message and direct it to either me or or the owner. Obviously inboxes for those lines. WE only need two, maybe three lines.

What is your budget like and what is your current set up like?

You could port your current numbers to a sip service and set up a freepbx box and get phones for the freepbx box.

At my work, we use our local cable company for sip service and digium switchvox for the pbx with a mix of Cisco desktop phones and zoiper soft phones.

We just got Cox for business for Internet., Before that we used this awful DSL service + phone from like 1997 via EarthLink. Been bothering my boss for years to do this but it was only after he realized it was so much faster working at home simply because the internet speed he agreed to switch, he's as cheap as they come.

Our budget is theoretically whatever, but we would like to keep it low as possible to what we need. Which frankly is not a lot.

Oh one last thing, We would like a service that allows us to do Fax via email/ip whatever. This is important as we still get a handful of Faxed contracts every year from guys who won't send us contracts digitally.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
So you only need a few lines? I would contact Cox and see what they offer for business phones. Might be able to get a cheaper price when bundled together with internet.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
2 or 3 lines? I would find an old Partner system in someone's trash bin or ebay.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So you only need a few lines? I would contact Cox and see what they offer for business phones. Might be able to get a cheaper price when bundled together with internet.

We did it's far more expensive.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'll see what I can find in the rejected from refurb trash bin...

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ooma is great for 2-3 lines. And very easy to use, forward, control via app, etc.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I need to record all calls on one business line (need the disclamer recording at front of call ect). Will one of these services work for that?

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ooma can do the recording thing and has some other options like private bridges. Not sure if that costs extra or not since i dont use those features.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I guess I'll post this here, but my question is for residential not business.

Some background: my elderly parents are paying $45 a month for a landline. For the past couple of months they've had this constant background noise and it's been HELL to contact Verizon to fix this shit. Finally got someone to come out, seemingly fixed it, only for the problem to return a few days later. So I'm like, fuck this shit.

What's a good Voip provider that's simple, cheap, AND can use their existing phone number? I don't know shit about this.

I've considered suggesting them go with Comiecast, but I really don't want them to be locked into anything.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I guess I'll post this here, but my question is for residential not business.

Some background: my elderly parents are paying $45 a month for a landline. For the past couple of months they've had this constant background noise and it's been HELL to contact Verizon to fix this shit. Finally got someone to come out, seemingly fixed it, only for the problem to return a few days later. So I'm like, fuck this shit.

What's a good Voip provider that's simple, cheap, AND can use their existing phone number? I don't know shit about this.

I've considered suggesting them go with Comiecast, but I really don't want them to be locked into anything.
Assuming they have basic internet, Magicjack.

Not kidding.

(PS: If they have background noise on Verizon, it's probably coming from the inside wiring.)

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
PC > Freepbx or 3cx > voip.ms sip trunk. maybe $500 to start and $.01 per minute

Oh and $1 per month per DID, and get some yealink phones, good quality and support, cheap on ebay or new

Last edited:

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
I need to record all calls on one business line (need the disclamer recording at front of call ect). Will one of these services work for that?

Yep most voip providers have a "listen live" or recording feature