Best way to project Chtromebook image to a projector?

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
At work we all were given Chromebooks to use, with the goal being to project whatever we see on our Chromebook screen to a smartboard for others to view. My boss thought the Chromebook could do it out of the box, but asked me to look into it. From what I can tell from brief googling is that we need to purchase either:

Chromecast (direct streaming from Chromebook to projector - $35 per)
or
Some sort of mirroring program (Chromebook to desktop PC to projector - cheaper ~$15 per)

There are about 25 of us in adjacent rooms so I don't know if we would have interference problems, but it looked like each option lets you create a channel so can just click on yours and not worry about crossed signals, so to speak.

All of us already have projectors, desktop pcs, and smartbaords installed, so the only real question is what would be the best way to get wireless with Chromebook to projector.

Any recommendations on what would be easiest to use, and if it's mirroring which program? I saw a few like mirroring360, reflector 2 but the reviews were all over the place and I feel weird telling my boss to try X or Y if I have nothing to back it up with.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'd think Chromecasts would be the way to go, you'd just click an icon and then select the name of what you're casting to. Not sure I've ever cast a desktop before, it's usually browser tabs and media applications.

Casting a Chrome tab or entire desktop - Chromecast Help

Not sure interference would be a thing, it would all be over wifi. Not sure that'd really be an issue unless you are already having congestion problems.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
I assume you mean wirelessly? Chrome may have cast- but your projectors must also have it.
Yes wirelessly. I thought the way it worked was plug the chrome cast dongle thing into the hdmi on the projector and open the chrome cast app on the chrome book? Other than initial setup on the chrome book I thought the projector itself just needed the chrome cast dongle and it was good to go?

Siliconemelons

There are various "casting" or screen casting technologies - some projectors have it built in - most of them are wifi based some of them are not and the device can see the projector etc.

I have not worked with ChromeCast in a while and like version 1- but then, and I am sure now, its wifi based, you have to plug the dongle in, turn on the projector to that source and connect the stick to the wifi, then your computer to the same wifi.