Better than Drobo 5n?

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
I've been using a Drobo 5n for quite a while to store my media collection and serve it to my home network. Each room has it's own Nvidia Shield Pro running Kodi. It's fine for 1080p files, but can't seem to keep up with serving 4K. Thus, I'm looking for better suggestions. Thanks.

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Correct. All media is stored on the Drobo 5n with separate folders for each media type, and then separate folders for each movie or TV show. No Apps are running on the Drobo because it can't communicate with Drobo servers for some reason. Anyhow, the media just sits there. On the receiving end, each Shield has Kodi installed and connects to the Drobo with SMB shares to each folder.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Correct. All media is stored on the Drobo 5n with separate folders for each media type, and then separate folders for each movie or TV show. No Apps are running on the Drobo because it can't communicate with Drobo servers for some reason. Anyhow, the media just sits there. On the receiving end, each Shield has Kodi installed and connects to the Drobo with SMB shares to each folder.
Well, I have two different Synology raids, one of which must be over 15 years old at this point, and they both serve 4k fine to my Shield, so if you're just looking to switch I don't think you could go wrong with pretty much any fairly recent Synology that fits your size/drive requirements. But before you do that, you didn't mention if it is hard-wired or using wifi, which might make a difference.

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Hardwired. I setup my house with Cat5 to every room. Modem --> Router --> Switch --> Rooms. The Drobo is plugged directly into the Switch.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It's probably a transcoding problem on the shield end. What interface do you use Void Void ? Plex or kodi?
I use Kodi as well. With a different skin no less. I absolutely hate Plex if I'm at home, and tolerate it if I'm not.

I don't know anything about current Drobos, but I do know that before I bought my first Synology (so a long time ago) I bought one of the first Drobos and eventually returned it after a couple months of trying and failing to get the fucking thing to work reliably. Does this particular Drobo say that it can handle 4k? Also, there's a huge difference between a 4k webrip and a remux, and I specifically download remuxes when I can, and those work just fine on my hardwired Shield. So it isn't something the Shield can't handle.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Ain't this a bitch... just found out that Drobo filed for bancruptcy last year "due to Covid". Gonna have to build my own NAS, I guess.