Biggest video game surprise?

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Games that, despite little fanfare -- or perhaps in spite of negative fanfare -- turned out really well, games that you considered overhyped that proved worthy of said hype, etc. I hope this serves as a complement to the disapointment thread.

The very nature of this premise biases against the inclusion of older games, because the concepts of hype and surprise were muted by the absence of an internet capable of hyping or failing to hype.

Demon's Souls: The ambitious, flawed masterpiece that laid the groundwork for probably my favorite series of all time. Doesn't play as well today, but when tasked with evaluating the Souls series based on how much I enjoyed each entry at the time of its release, I might very well put this one at the top.

Tomb Raider (2013): Despised the original (PS1) games on account of ridiculous controls. I think a more appropriate and resonant name would be Lara Croft, both because the game is largely bereft of tombs and because it's an origin story. Uncharted has better writing, but I thought this played a lot better.

Persona 3: One of my favorite games of all time. I love jrpg's, but I'd never heard of this series prior to this entry, and if somebody had told me that I'd be utterly smitten by a dungeon-crawler/highschool-simulator hybrid, I'd call them crazy.

Overwatch: An example of overhyped-but-ultimately-worthy-of-that-hype. Prerelease, this hit all the wrong notes for me. An FPS (ugh). One weapon (ugh). Heroes (redolent of MOBAness, ugh ugh ugh). Infinite ammo (wtf?). No character progression of any sort. And yet it works.

Dragon Quest Builders: Haven't had much time to play this, but holy fuck. This flew COMPLETELY under my radar. Take Minecraft, pretty up the graphics, add inimitable Dragon Quest charm, and throw in a story.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
FTL, such a simple game, yet I've probably replayed it more than any other game.

• 1Like

Caliane

Why didn't you just make a dragonquest builders post?
(dont have a ps4, /r/basebuildinggames has mentioned it a few times.)

no idea on actual answer to this. the premise sortof defeats itself. If I have no hopes or expectations... I won't buy the game.. who... buys things they expect to not like?
If you include things off the radar until a buzz shows up.. stardew valley, undertale, etc.. well that is a ton of games. over 2000 games a year, no one has time to follow the development or release of all upcoming games.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Witcher 3, I was hyped and it still blew me away.

Deus Ex: HR The fact that they managed to come up with something that can wear proudly the Deus Ex name is still a small miracle, despite the numerous flaws.

Shadow Warrior 2013: That game had no business being as good as it was, solid gunplay, swordplay and they managed to mix some B movie humor with some solid drama at the end.

Terraria - Best cost/playtime ratio with the exception of Minecraft.

Caliane

yeah, actually came back to post Terraria.

solid fun at release. but, the alpha prerelease lowered hopes. And then, Redigit quitting development on it with 1.1, shorting after release.
then magic happened. Redigit came BACK a year later and 1.2 and 1.3.
Both of which are astoundingly good. and Terraria in many ways reinventing Long Tail sales in games. Free updates spurning more sales then paid dlc.
Expert mode is also one of the, if not the best, new game++ advanced AI in any game. Adding new skills, new drops, new monsters, etc, not simply giving +hp to bosses/monsters.
its fun, challenging and actually a new/fresh game, instead of just replaying the previous game slightly harder.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Alien Isolation - Broke the alien franchise curse and cemented itself next to Dead Space and System Shock 2 as a true science fiction survival horror. 9/10

Witcher 3 - I mean I knew it would be good but by the time I got to the crones scene I am pretty sure I hadn't bathed in days. 10/10

Fallout New Vegas - Same as witcher 3. I knew with the all star cast of Black Isle / Obsidian it was going to be a great but it ended up being my favorite game since Fallout 2. 10/10

Rocket League - These games with this kind of chemistry only come along a few times in a generation. 9.25/10

Bad Company 2 - I miss it every day. Getting those Dogtags between b and c on Arica Harbor with Hatorade Hatorade , @sukik and many others as we laughed at the hate messages and spam. 9.5/10

Tribes 1 - I had no idea what this game was about in 1998. I had a shitty 56k modem and a disc launcher. Capturing my first flag on Broadside was a thrilling rush for this teenager. Made best friendships from lan parties that exist today and on this forum. 10/10

Wolfenstein The New Order - Ushered in that old school FPS feeling I missed for years. Brutal with a compelling story. 9/10

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Eternal Senia - It's a simple JRPG, nothing special, but a sweet story. It's free, too. I expected it to be shit, but was bored, and really ended up enjoying it.

Also really enjoyed Legend of Heroes a WHOLE lot, wayyy good games. I expected them to be good, but they were really really really good.

Noahx

N00b
I love this thread - keep them coming.

I'll add

The Secret World - If you just play it for the world/ambiance and ignore the end game, it's worth a go and can really keep you interested for a while. I didn't expect the story/world to be as good (and creepy) as it was.

Mass Effect 3 - It got shit on before they released the "new ending". I actually enjoyed the story. Had a lot of fun playing the 4 man co-op scenario game.

Anarchy Online - another MMO that surprised me. Original IP, crazy gear system... I spent a crazy amount of time not caring about the xp system and blitzing missions and exploring dyna camps I had no business messing with (lvl 90 kiting 130s).

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Goldeneye

I bought it on a whim on release day before it exploded and everyone thought it was the best game ever. Single handed best impulse buy ever. Seriously one of the best games of all time.

• 1Solidarity

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Dying Light - I don't know what I was expecting when they talked about a first person zombie game with crafting and parkour but I loved the shit out of it. Being truly powerless vs. the advanced roamers made the night missions a fun blend of sneaking and blindly running for safe zones. I cannot wait for DL 2.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Talos Principle is still probably the greatest accident of a game. Solid simple gameplay idea that was initially a "failed" experiment by croteam coupled with a story that is a massive gut punch by the last few audio logs in the final tower. OST was perfect for a puzzle game as it never got annoying.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Alien Isolation - Broke the alien franchise curse and cemented itself next to Dead Space and System Shock 2 as a true science fiction survival horror. 9/10

Witcher 3 - I mean I knew it would be good but by the time I got to the crones scene I am pretty sure I hadn't bathed in days. 10/10

Fallout New Vegas - Same as witcher 3. I knew with the all star cast of Black Isle / Obsidian it was going to be a great but it ended up being my favorite game since Fallout 2. 10/10

Rocket League - These games with this kind of chemistry only come along a few times in a generation. 9.25/10

Bad Company 2 - I miss it every day. Getting those Dogtags between b and c on Arica Harbor with Hatorade Hatorade , @sukik and many others as we laughed at the hate messages and spam. 9.5/10

Tribes 1 - I had no idea what this game was about in 1998. I had a shitty 56k modem and a disc launcher. Capturing my first flag on Broadside was a thrilling rush for this teenager. Made best friendships from lan parties that exist today and on this forum. 10/10

Wolfenstein The New Order - Ushered in that old school FPS feeling I missed for years. Brutal with a compelling story. 9/10

We doing BF 1?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
For recent game:

Dungeon souls
Solforge
Crawl
ARK
King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, to this day this is my favorite melee single player game.

Arcade mode in SC 2, so good!

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Xcom--for me both the original and the recent one were shockers. Xcom was one of the first games I got into, rented it (Not kidding) from a fucking video store, I guess they didn't realize you could copy the floppy disks. Blew me the fuck away, played it forever. 2011 rolls around and I'm happy they are making a new one to shit on the FPS statement--play the new one, and its awesome. One of the few times the hype and nostalgia was not only delivered on, but exceeded.

Witcher 3--just damn. Neither of the last two Witcher games prepared me for Elder Scrolls with better combat (Much better) and more interesting characters.

Demon Souls--I play RPGs regardless, even if they are meh. I just love the format, JRPG or Western. Put this in and was expecting a mediocre Japanese take on a Western RPG--holy fuck was I blown away. This shit almost ruined Elder Scrolls for me with its combat.

Cities Skylines--Came out of no where for me, gave me the modern sim city I wanted.

Divinity Original Sin: This plus Pillars really reinvigorated the genre. I kind of expected Pillars to be good, but wasn't sure about this one. It's not a perfect game, but it's really good and I wasn't expecting it to be anything more than a mediocre attempt at the genre.

(If we're adding in when we were young, Master of Magic can be tossed on here. Friend gave it to me, never heard of it before, only strategy game I heard of was Civ, but thought it would be a cheap stupid clone of that----nope, one of my favorite games of all time. 20 years later, I still play it sometimes.)

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
NBA 2K16 - My sports game experience over the past decade has been limited to NHL and a handful of FIFA demos. 2K16 was a free download over the summer on PS4. I picked it up for the hell of it... and sweet tender baby Jesus this game is amazing. The Be A Pro mode is just fantastic. I can't believe how much I enjoyed working my way up from a High School prospect to a full-on NBA star. It's embarrassing how much better 2K's sports experience is compared to EA. Probably sunk close to 100 hours at this point -- not bad for a free download.

Final Fantasy Tactics - Back when I was a youngin', I heard the word "Tactics" and started to fall asleep. The game didn't garner a whole lot of critical attention when it first came out, and was mostly overshadowed by the still looming presence of FF7. But a good friend convinced me to give it a try and it went on to become one of my favorite RPGs of all time. Only RPG I've sunk more hours into is Xenogears. Today Tactics is pretty much considered one of the best Final Fantasies ever, but back when it first dropped, I think a lot of people (myself included) were kinda like "....eh? No thanks..."

Super Smash Bros. - Hear me out. When Smash first dropped on N64, it was pretty much seen as a novelty. I certainly played it as such, and so did my friends. Fuck around. Goof off. Turn items way up. Etc. Almost a decade went by since it was released, and then something amazing happened... I realized that the game was ridiculously deep and skill-based. My freshman year roommate in college unleashed an unholy torrent of ass kicking on me the first time we played... and a game that I originally thought was shallow and silly suddenly became an insane obsession. We played nonstop for weeks. Huge tournaments held in our dorm room. Many dreams realized and crushed. Nowadays Smash, especially Melee, is recognized as one of the biggest games in eSports, but back when it first hit on N64 nobody really knew what to make of it. I guess this was kinda like a posthumous surprise.

Puzzle & Dragons - I thought this was a cheesy mobile Match-3 knockoff. Literally the most wrong about anything I've ever been in my life.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Secret of Mana. Bought it right before I went into boot camp and had zero idea what it was other than it had SQUARE on the box. Holy jesus did that game deliver.

• 1Like

Spark

Golden Knight of the Realm
Wolfenstein: The New Order. Was at the top of my head because I just started my second play-through. This is a damn near perfect game IMO. It's 20 bucks right now on steam and I highly recommend it if you haven't played it yet. Well worth the money.