Biggest video game surprise?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Beside FTL / Factorio and others mentioned here, one of my biggest surprises lately has been Warframe. Found it by browsing most played games on steam, it's a 3rd person coop shooter with robot ninja aliens killing thousands of bad guys. It's diablo in space and I've played ~800 hours or so.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Beside FTL / Factorio and others mentioned here, one of my biggest surprises lately has been Warframe. Found it by browsing most played games on steam, it's a 3rd person coop shooter with robot ninja aliens killing thousands of bad guys. It's diablo in space and I've played ~800 hours or so.

I have this game and I never gave it a try, now considering your review I will probably give it a try.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I have this game and I never gave it a try, now considering your review I will probably give it a try.
It's fun, but eventually you get tired of the devs abandoning features halfway through in favor of another one, or at least I did, like 100 hours in. There's no real balance, the progression is there only in the strictest sense of the word, some parts of the game are amazing fun, others shouldn't have made it through beta test, the UI is a clusterfuck, serious bugs go unfixed for ages and their project planning is reminiscent of Blizzard. It's Grind: The Game with space ninjas and every weapon imaginable.

So yeah, jump in, but don't get too attached.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Warcraft 2 & Starcraft. I adored War 2, but SC was a quantum leap in every way. It was the only game I was playing until Everquest happened.

The sequels were victims of their own success, at least in the online arena. You practically needed multiple RSS feeds of "today's stupid tricks that will beat anything except a very specific counter 99% of the time" Ain't nobody got time to be Asian. Or maybe not being 20 any more had something to do with it.

Still enjoy the campaigns. But where are the other RTS?

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Valdis Story: Abyssal City

Got it on a steam flash sale because I had a few bucks steam balance and it was less than 3 bucks. Ended up thoroughly enjoying it. It is one of the few games in my steam library that I actually played through to completion. Great little metroidvania game.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
EQ was certainly a huge surprise for me. I was 11 years old and 100% picked it up just cause I liked the box art and did not actually read anything the box said.. When I tried to play and was asked for credit card info I was so confused, I had no idea it was an online game. Didn't even know online games existed other than MUDs.

Tredge

Vyemm Raider
I second this. Only about half that many hours but it certainly surprised me.
The game is great but does get old eventually once you top out. Unlocking other frames kept me going though.