Bioshock 4? Advent Future

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
It will be interesting to see what this will be like without Ken Levine, and more importantly, all the Irrational Games folks that are off designing new games. Bioshock without them is like The Twilight Zone without Rod Serling. And the last time there was very little involvement was Bioshock 2 and that game was deplorable. Almost swore off 2k games when they butchered Mafia 2 for DLC...
I think the more interesting thing will be what sort of world they will develop since they won't be piggybacking as much off the previous games as they did with Bioshock 2. Honestly, if this rumor is true, I'm glad they avoided the temptation to go back to either Rapture or Columbia. While I feel there are more stories to tell in Columbia, I'd rather they just leave those alone since Levine is no longer involved and they'd most likely just feel like hollow money-grabs. A fresh take will give them a lot more freedom to tell a good story rather than trying to write backwards to make sure everything fits with the previous games.

Am i the only human being who liked 2? The second half of the first one was intentionally taunting of the player and its loss of agency.

2 was a human story from a dude in a robot suit.
I liked 2 for what it was: A chance to revisit Rapture and learn more about it. While 1 was about the city, 2 was more about the people who inhabited it. The story was weak and felt a little retcon-ish, sure, but I still really enjoyed it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I want to go to the alternate reality where Bioshock Infinite was like the original trailers.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm curious if you forum bros who didn't like Bioshock 1 played it roughly around when it released or several years later. There wasn't much comparable when it released, but there have been plenty of good, atmospheric games since.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Played it at release, maybe a third of the way through before getting distracted by something else. I think it was my fourth or fifth attempt at playing the game that I finally finished it a year+ later. That's why I reject the hipster bullshit. I tried really hard to make myself like that game because of who made it; anything else I would have shelved after the first failed attempt and never gone back to at all.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'm curious if you forum bros who didn't like Bioshock 1 played it roughly around when it released or several years later. There wasn't much comparable when it released, but there have been plenty of good, atmospheric games since.
I am curious about this as well because Bioshock 1 was awesome when it launched, and in terms of atmosphere, music, character development, and story line, it blew everything else away. For frames of reference in the time frame, one should be comparing this game with other games that released that year that were notable:

The Witcher (Original)
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
Crysis (PC)
Mass Effect (Xbox 360)
Uncharted 1
WoW: Burning Crusade

Out of all of those, while they are all very good games, I would say Bioshock was the most heavily influenced by Story, Atmosphere, Music and unique development.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The voice acting in Bioshock Infinite was amazing, and the whole relationship between Booker and Elizabeth was so well done in so many subtle ways. The story itself was good but fell just short of great.

The gameplay... was barely passable.

I wish that game had mod tools and someone could actually fix the gameplay by adding interesting encounters.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
My biggest gripe with Bioshock games is the disjoint of story/worldbuilding and gameplay. The game gives you interesting characters and story that asks some interesting questions, but the gameplay is all about shooting stuff in the face with zero say in the matter. Personally if they gave it Deus Ex treatment, the games would be much better. Bit of that was seen in Burial at Sea pt. 2, with stealth mechanics and vertical movement, but they managed to kill all the difficulty/fun with one well placed upgrade. B:I with 2 weapons a tiny ammo capacity didn't help much, but the story was great, down to all the little details. I don't care if somebody figured out you can drive a truck through the plotholes, I was entertained, a bit confused and ultimately satisfied.

Bioshock came out around Orange Box release, so part of the hype was dulled by HL2:Episode 2 and Portal, which absolutely blew me away. The former had much tighter shooting and story, the latter introduced completely new mechanic and comedy, compared to all the grimdark brown shooters.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, Half Life 2 was pretty good, any talk of making a third one?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Bioshock 1, great story, eh gameplay
Bioshock 2, great gameplay, eh story
Bioshock Infinite, finally great story, good gameplay

To me it felt like going back to 2001 KoToR and KoToR2, KoToR story was the best, but KoToR2 was more fun to play.

Best part about Bioshock, playing with a 360, and all of a sudden controller rumbles, and you're like "WTF?" Big Daddy is walking. can't get that on a pc (unless you use a controller, which many won't since they'll use KB/m)

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Bioshock 1 is quite possibly one of the greatest examples of consolitius, only behind deus ex invisible war. It had a phenomenal atmosphere/theme/design, but the overall story and the literal game mechanics were a complete rip off and dumbing down of System Shock 2. Seriously, go back and play SS2 and you will realize they took everything from it but just changed the setting to 1950s Ayn Rand world.

That always irked me about Bioshock, seeing how much of a carbon copy it was of SS2 all the way down to the "plot twist".

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Bioshock 1, great story, eh gameplay
Bioshock 2, great gameplay, eh story
Bioshock Infinite, finally great story, good gameplay

To me it felt like going back to 2001 KoToR and KoToR2, KoToR story was the best, but KoToR2 was more fun to play.

Best part about Bioshock, playing with a 360, and all of a sudden controller rumbles, and you're like "WTF?" Big Daddy is walking. can't get that on a pc (unless you use a controller, which many won't since they'll use KB/m)
I really behoove you to examine Kotor 2 story again.The game story has such nuance built around the nature of the force and jedi. Kreia is one of the best female protag/antagonist the star wars series..or even gaming has. Not many games lie, especially for your benefit. The exile story is so much more intricate than Revans....

But they fucking ran out of money and fucked the ending.

Bioshock has a guy hammer jon gault over the head with a golf club. Subtle!
smile.png

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
I loved HL2. Doesn't everyone?
Actually no. I love the hell out of the first, but Halflife 2 didnt manage to pull me in, felt more like a "weeee look at our amazing physics! oh right, and we also have a game here somewhere". Yes, I know, I am insane....

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm fine with that. While I'm confident they'll release another Bioshock eventually, it's hard for me to get too jazzed about it, considering how Bioshock 2 turned out.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
I want to go to the alternate reality where Bioshock Infinite was like the original trailers.
That would be the one where Ken Levine is fired rather than the rest of the team.

I really behoove you to examine Kotor 2 story again.The game story has such nuance built around the nature of the force and jedi. Kreia is one of the best female protag/antagonist the star wars series..or even gaming has. Not many games lie, especially for your benefit. The exile story is so much more intricate than Revans....

But they fucking ran out of money and fucked the ending.
TSLRCM 1.8.3B download - The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod (TSLRCM) Mod for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - Mod DB

And yeah KOTOR2 is a better story than 1 but the devs got fucked over. It's Obsidian, that's expected.
smile.png

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Some edgy hipsters up in here
No kidding, Jesus Christ...

Loved Bioshock, Rapture was absolutely incredible. I really liked Infinite, but the ending was just trying to do too much, some weird smorgasbord of Lavine's personal beliefs or some shit. 2 was made by a different studio, correct? So that's expected. SS2 was fucking incredible, even SWAT 4 was incredible which Lavine was the Executive Producer on.

Definitely a fan of Irrational's, not really sure about this new game with all the talent gone.