Bioware's "Anthem"

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Who's bitching about paying more than $60?

I would have paid $100 for Witcher3 or Horizon. The micro transactions piss me off for largely the same reasons I don't watch anything on Hulu - the commercials fuck with immersion and I'm a tender little snowflake that rages when people are shoving commercials in my face. I don't want my game to be a marketplace.

Well it was a general comment, no directed at you, but, yeah, people do bitch, and bitch hard. I see it all the time on sub reddits, etc... I know for sure people bitch at Bungie for their $30-$40 DLC, lol, form the same people that have 2x more time in game than me. Less than $200 for 2 yrs of game.

BTW if you pay a litte more per month for Hulu, they drop the ads, lol.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
BTW if you pay a litte more per month for Hulu, they drop the ads, lol.
1548968892319.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Bottom line is cash shops are here to stay. They are jsut too profitable for game companies that want extra revenue from fags that want to play dress up. So accept it and move on, or just dont buy them, its still your choice.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Eh, I have accepted it, but I'll keep bitching about it to add to the uproar. Someone will find a way to tap in to the "Fuck Microtransactions" crowd and make a profit, but it's not going to come from the big boys.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
fortnite is a better example than GTA 5 even, its f2p and its estimated it made $3 billion in PROFIT in 2018 purely on skins and cosmetics.

EA and Activision desperately want some of that money but they keep going about it ass backwards. You need a few whales who spend 80% of the money, but you ALSO need the millions of plebs so the whales feel like they can "show off" their skins and shit to the masses. You charge $10 or $60 for a game and it doesn't matter, most plebs aren't gonna come and so most whales aren't gonna bother either.

The future is simple, its f2p for GAAS games and you have battle passes and skins for $ and you update often to keep millions in your sandbox. Or you go after SP gamers like Japan is really, really good at now as well as indies, CDPR, Ubisoft, etc.

Activision and EA though want to try to do BOTH every single game and they fuck up miserably every time now because GAAS gamers don't want a box fee AND microtransactions and they need tons and tons of normal people playing and constant patches, while SP gamers don't want microtransactions in their face at all. Two very different audiences, which EA doesn't really seem to get at all.

• 13Like
  • 2Truth!
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 15 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh, cant mention fortnite because that, as well as minecraft in its day were an anomaly. Make a good game that people want to play, im sure they will rake in the bucks with skins and other shit in the shop. Be it free or box price. Shit, look at BO4, fucking stale ass franchise driven to the ground and yet they scored $500,000 in 3 days sales when it released. Probably a billion by now.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I'm simply stating that most of us are neckbeards (read as, in the technology sector. Also read as, NOT in the business sector).

Of course gaming companies have to make cash. What, did you think that EA just sprung from nothing?

If you did, you're a dipshit.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Ultimately the best business model to capitalize on cosmetic content is to get the largest install base you can - and that's developing a game on the back end and issuing it out FTP.

Epic perfected Fortnite - kids love it. I can't play that shit because before I even find a gun some 12 year old has some stair case built into the sky and is sniping at me from a bullet proof bunker system. Still, they laid out the Battle Pass perfectly, their shop perfectly, set up streamers and functionality of the game and made it accessible and free to play to set up the base.

This is shit that EA, Ubi, or Bungie will NEVER understand.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Hmm what game with visuals like Anthem is FTP tho? Warframe looks good but not that good. Are there actually any free AAA titles?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Hmm what game with visuals like Anthem is FTP tho? Warframe looks good but not that good. Are there actually any free AAA titles?

Actually I thought Warframe played a hell of a lot better than Anthem. I didn't see a lot of differences aside from art style though (Subjective obviously)

But you make a good point - that's the problem. There really aren't. Make Destiny 3 Free to Play and watch what happens if they follow through with a AAA game to install to the masses for free and back end it with a shit ton of cosmetics, passes, emotes, keep pay to win out of it - and I can guarantee you it does better than D1 and D2 combined.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider

I'd argue that's a matter of available start up costs. Fortnite did the WoW thing and shot low so they could run on anything to broaden the audience even more. But things like Warframe did not have the financial backing of EA or even Bioware with an already established history of high quality games. But really, these games are making billions, and while the returns aren't as immediate, long term it'd more than pay off. Right now they are getting away with it, but what about in ten years? The companies making Warframe etc, will have newer releases with much more graphical bling, and the EAs of the world will no longer be able to hide behind that.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Here was Warframe's revenue (GP ) in 2017.

Revenue: Up 49% to 166.7mil USD​

Gross Profit: Up 53% to 110.7mil USD.​

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The companies making Warframe etc, will have newer releases with much more graphical bling, and the EAs of the world will no longer be able to hide behind that.

Yep. Epic is swimming in money. I can all but guarantee you they are working on a new AAA title with AAA content at launch, for both PvE and PvP scenarios and will launch it for free with the same business model and cosmetic loot shop they have for Fortnite - and it will blow Anthem, Div 2, and Destiny away not only from a gameplay perspective, but a revenue perspective.

EA and it's like will follow suit - but they will play it cautious and watch back end costs like a hawk leaving barren, procedural and copy paste content across their worlds and half the folks won't even waste their time downloading it. Then they will say, "Well why did it work for Epic???" We are talking some amazingly clueless people in those 3 companies.

• 2Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
That'd be cool but Fortnites Save the World is kind of that already. It reminds me of a cross between Warframe's missions and some light building like Dragon Quest Builders. But yeah I'd be totally down with a looter shooter. However, it's kind of weird (and VERY anecdotal), but my son and his buddies are kind of getting bored with Fortnite. They keep branching out and trying other games. I feel like they need to do something to keep it fresh as burn out does seem to be (mildly) setting in.

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I dig cosmetcs personally - i dont mind paying full price for a game and dabbling in cosmetcs - However i do mind paying full price for a game thats not complete. D1 felt incomplete, even tho its a drawn out story it just felt like it had no current conclusion to the story at hand before branching out. The live service model doesnt bother me, so long as each chunk felt like it completed itself and not like a "To be continued". I also hate the Eververse because its RNG, id rather just buy what i want and that be it.

• 2Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Like I said Fortnite is an anomaly, one of those games that comes around every 10 yrs or so and does really really well, kind of like a fad. Most of the games that sold really well this year are all Pay to Play. BTW it will be haed for Epic to follow fortnite with anything now, because its alsmost guaranteed to fail when you compare it to fortnite. (the F2P fortnite)

And dont get me wrong, I dont mind FTP games, its just that most of them just keep throwing the shitty shops in your face 24/7. And while some might not, most still do and its a big turn off for me.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Demo is live. Let chaos ensue.

As to the current discussion, to me this game is free. I pay for Premier because I'm a Madden junkie and enjoy the other perks.

• 3Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wonder how much epic made from suckers like me who bought the original fortnite(because it looked like a fun mix of different genres) and then get in and realize its only half finished(anything past the 2nd city area wasn't done, nor was loot) and all that money from box sale + MTX(people buying the donkey pinatas) probably went into the BR game while they ignored the original version.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
huh the anthem patch from VIP demo to open demo is only 272 mb on PC, i'm sure that'll fix everything

• 2Worf
  • 1Like