Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I can't believe the US doesn't have a decent free crypto trader... Someone needs to fill that role now that RH is going away.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I still think Eth is going to take off significantly over the next year or two.
I don't think its too late to get in on Eth.

btc and eth did spike overnight, after raising steadily over the day yesterday. btc back up to 38k, eth 1400. btc was hovering around 32k for a while there. eth 1200ish.
r/crytocurrency think it was elon changing his twitter bio to "bitcoin".

I'm not sure if the dogecoin will actually be anything. btc is largely winning on namesake. doge might stick around for that as well. or, alternatively, if you had doge as a meme. you just made bank, and probably should cash out, and put it into something with more long term standing.

r/crytocurrency is also revolting vs robinhood as well.
robinhood is not selling you real crytocurrency

You don't want to get into anything at the height. I'd wait for BTC and ETH to cool down before getting into it.

I got into BTC at like $16k during the last spike and had to wait a whole year to make any money. I watched it like a hawk to...daily. Lulz.

I don't know where it'll find it's new low resistance point, but last time around it was below $10k.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kraken has been fine for me for the last few months, it's just this Doge thing going viral that has everyone and their brother trying to sign up at the same time. I tried to sign up during the 2017 BTC bubble and it was the same shit, didn't get in for weeks which turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Doge bubble seems to have well and truly popped (down 30% from my post on the last page and 70% from the peak) so there's little reason to get in now unless you want to lose money.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Kraken has been fine for me for the last few months, it's just this Doge thing going viral that has everyone and their brother trying to sign up at the same time. I tried to sign up during the 2017 BTC bubble and it was the same shit, didn't get in for weeks which turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Doge bubble seems to have well and truly popped (down 30% from my post on the last page and 70% from the peak) so there's little reason to get in now unless you want to lose money.
I dunno. I've been thinking about that. I'm pretty new to the crypto thing, but it seems to me that an influx of money from a ton of small investors with a "buy and hold" mentality may have boosted the baseline value of doge in a way that isn't going away anytime soon. It seems to be holding steady at a low of .03 ish.

I'm also sure there are a ton of people waiting for money from their checking accounts to hit their brokerage account to buy doge. The question is will the momentum that caused them to initiate the transfer in order to buy doge still exist when the money hits their actual brokerage account.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Ok, so my options to trade crypto appear to be:

1. Robinhood- where they might decide they don't want you trading something at any time and disallow it
2. Coinbase- which appears to have a difficult-to-decipher fee structure (I read the fee section and have zero concept of what it will actually come out to) and, according to Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes seems like they are cumbersome to use.
3. Kraken- which seems to be completely non-functional.

Anyone have any good place to do crypto trades?
Gemini is imo, the best available. I've also used Kraken and still do for certain coins, but Gemini is the best general purpose exchange right now.

I also think Coinbase is a garbage company and the exchange "crashes" every time BTC moves more than 5-10% in a day. Buying DOGE is probably a bad idea if you're looking for something that has an actual reason for being valuable. If you want to play the meme lottery though its a great choice I guess. I doubt this is the last pump it will see.

Cryptos that provide actual value do exist however. I'm not a day trading gambler though, so I have a different perspective than most on this.

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
It's coming. Stable coins will replace SWIFT. As of right now, most stablecoins run on Ethereum.

“Our strategy here is to work with wallets and exchanges to enable users to purchase these currencies using their Visa credentials or to cash out onto our Visa credential to make a fiat purchase at any of the 70 million merchants where Visa is accepted globally,” Kelly said.
The payments executive also said stablecoins could be used for “global commerce” and that “digital currencies running on public blockchains as additional networks just like RTP or ACH networks.”

• 1Like

Caliane

Gemini was founded by the Winklevoss twins. yes, the Facebook/Zuckerburg ones. they got big into crypto.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
India just declared they want to ban private crypto and develop a central government backed crypto

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
that is against the whole point of crypto
True. Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDCs) will definitely be a thing though. Maybe not in the US, but the IMF is going to push for this internationally I imagine.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Gemini is imo, the best available. I've also used Kraken and still do for certain coins, but Gemini is the best general purpose exchange right now.

I also think Coinbase is a garbage company and the exchange "crashes" every time BTC moves more than 5-10% in a day. Buying DOGE is probably a bad idea if you're looking for something that has an actual reason for being valuable. If you want to play the meme lottery though its a great choice I guess. I doubt this is the last pump it will see.

Cryptos that provide actual value do exist however. I'm not a day trading gambler though, so I have a different perspective than most on this.

Looking like Gemini is pretty hefty with fees. They charge both a transaction fee and a convenience fee for buying, and both a transaction fee and convenience fee for selling. Seems like all those fees would add up fast. Also, am I wrong, or do they increase their fee percentage the more you sell/buy? That seems counterintuitive.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Looking like Gemini is pretty hefty with fees. They charge both a transaction fee and a convenience fee for buying, and both a transaction fee and convenience fee for selling. Seems like all those fees would add up fast. Also, am I wrong, or do they increase their fee percentage the more you sell/buy? That seems counterintuitive.
I don't trade, so that is more or less irrelevant for me. I'm not sure what a good trading platform would be. Probably Kraken?

If you're trading ERC-20s then I would suggest sending some money to an L2 solution (Loopring, xDAI, etc) and trading there for essentially 0 fees.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wouldnt that then make crypto more stable (lolz) and thus more attractive, and thus fly to the fabled $100k+ we keep hearing about?

• 1Like

Alterity

Molten Core Raider
Use their Active Trader platform here: Crypto Trading Platform - Gemini ActiveTrader™ | Gemini. The only fees you occur are the market/trading fees associated with a sell/buy. I think I had to e-mail their support to get this active on my account though. It's been awhile since I did it so I can't remember.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Coinbase fees (when in EZ mode) for buys and sells $200 or higher is 1.5% + a 0.5% spread, so it's effectively 2% on both sides

Arative

Vyemm Raider
For tax purposes, selling is taxed as capital gains. How would it work if you mined it. Would you have to calculate each blocked reward at the price btc was when you mined it?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Coinbase fees (when in EZ mode) for buys and sells $200 or higher is 1.5% + a 0.5% spread, so it's effectively 2% on both sides
Wait, so if you buy or sell coin worth more than $200, you pay no more than 2% either way?