Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I don't think you need powered risers for what you're doing, which looked liked 3x cards to a mobo all on the 16x slots? Its the guys trying to squeeze in a 4th GPU on the 1x slot that usually fry their board.

THat being said, they are probably(?) safer overall and you need risers anyway.
Yup, they are all in x16 slots.

I really don't care about them at all. They aren't mine and he is more than aware of the problems these rigs have. I am however getting a decent cut out of running them for him so I don't mind looking for some nearby to see if I can make sure they don't catch on fire and die, not just for the hardware but for me also
biggrin.png

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I'm considering buying 3 of these but they won't be out until Feb 2014. Not sure what the difficulty and price will be by then. Might be better just to still on the 22ghz I have and mine away, sell high and buy low.
Bitcoin Miners :: Prospero X-1 (100Ghash/second)
Has this black arrow software company shipped anything? Never heard of them.

If you are going to buy something in February you need to buyBitcoin Mining Hardware 600 GH Bitcoin Mining Card - Homepage new products - Butterfly Labs

That being said, coming from a guy who just bought $15k in hardware, it is not the time to be buying hardware
biggrin.png

644512_245602162252963_674444813_n.jpg

Vinen

God is dead

If you are going to buy something in February you need to buyBitcoin Mining Hardware 600 GH Bitcoin Mining Card - Homepage new products - Butterfly Labs

That being said, coming from a guy who just bought $15k in hardware, it is not the time to be buying hardware
biggrin.png

644512_245602162252963_674444813_n.jpg
Has anyone performed a study to calculate how wasteful Bitcoin mining is in terms of energy wasted performing the complex calculations? (This is not to say printing tangible, money etc isn't wasteful too)

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

biggrin.png
I bought 3 jalapeno's from BFL. Given their track record of over promising and under delivering, I'm really leery of buying anything from them again. I felt lucky to get my jalapeno's when I did.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I bought 3 jalapeno's from BFL. Given their track record of over promising and under delivering, I'm really leery of buying anything from them again. I felt lucky to get my jalapeno's when I did.
That may be but they ARE shipping now. They have more of a track record than anything else at this point sad as that may be.

I am actually hoping they fail in Feb/March because if they do deliver these new products then it will be a doomsday for the rest of us with current hardware.

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
true they do have a track record of shipping and I do think they are all caught up on their pre-orders for their produce line. I'm really not sure I want to buy hardware or not.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
true they do have a track record of shipping and I do think they are all caught up on their pre-orders for their produce line. I'm really not sure I want to buy hardware or not.
I would not buy hardware. I was just letting you know that if you are going to preorder something I would do that 600GH/s card if I were you.

There is no way this new company is going to get those units out for that price.

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm going to see how the prices go over the next month before deciding to do anything. Might just be easier buying and holding for a while

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Don't buy bitcoin mining hardware. If you really want to pick up mining as a hobby, then buy scrypt-mining hardware. This stuff can actually play games (hint, its just a computer with GPUs). You have a reasonable shot at recouping your initial investment even if the alt-coins never gain in value. Historically, they are, so this is one way to gamble on the future of alt-coins without being totally SOL.

Your initial investment looks something like this:

dirt cheap processor ($40)
mobo with 3 PCI-E slots ($100-$150)
(3) GPUs ($900)
Nice PSU ($100)
Whatever ram ($40)

Set this up in an open-air rig and it'll hash at 1.9mh/s and make you 1 LTC or $30/day (descending, it'll drop to around $5/day before leveling out I imagine). You can watch your tiny little dragon's horde of coins accumulate, delve deep into the mysteries of alt-coins and exploiting the exchange rates between them. You can start arguing with people who don't give a shit about your magical internet money by asking them questions like ("What percentage of my coins should I keep in BTC? How about LTC?"). When you get annoyed at how hot the rig makes your room you can make a family member's day by giving them a free awesome GPU. After all who would run a miner in the summer for $5/day... Then maybe LTC rises from $30-$250 in a matter of days and you get annoyed that your rig wasn't on full-time over the last few months.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This, BFL was pretty incompetent. I bought my 60Gh/s unit from them in September last year, it didn't arrive until August this year. The thing is a fucking turbine with how loud it is and I'm right at the edge of their +/- 10% on performance (It actually hashes at 54Gh/s). I purchased a MegabitFury unit in June and had it by the end of July and the boards worked with a 33% overclock.

I wouldn't give BFL another dime. I'm wary of the black arrow people but their 2TH/s unit is quite tempting considering the price. Even with a tripling of difficulty at 1000$/coin it would take less than 10 days to earn your money back. Assuming bitcoin prices stay the same and they can deliver on time. Since they're contracting out the production of everything to a Chinese company I have a lot more faith in them hitting their deadlines.

Siliconemelons

I would love to get some bitcoins just for shits in giggles but it seems almost impossable to just go buy some... and what is mining? getting the "new" bitcoins straight out of the "bank"? Oh my...

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I pulled the trigger on an X-3. We'll see how much I regret this come the end of February.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
2nd shipment showed up for my friend's monster mining rig, he'll have 12x R9 290x's when it's done.

rrr_img_51924.jpg

rinthe_sl

shitlord
greeno agrees with me

I think I'm going to start trading this bubble as a hobby. I suppose MtGox is the platform to use if one doesn't speak Chinese? Any semi-trustable, liquid options exchanges?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I useloading, mt.gox is almost impossible to get your money out of in a timely fashion if you live in the states, you could lose huge amounts of cash just waiting on the transfers. Get aBitcoin Wallet - Coinbaseaccount and use a site that will allow you to transfer to them, someone linked another site a few pages back as well.