Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Anyone suggesting BTC will be the most widely adopted cryptocurrency is totally wrong and needs to be called out on it/made fun of. You can't just go around spouting off shit and then wonder wtf happened when the world moves a different direction.

I mean, according to you. What was it Mark Twain said, “It’s not what you don’t know that you should worry about. It’s what you know for certain that just ain’t so that’ll get you.”

The one thing worth considering w ETH, for the umpteenth time, is the fact that it has no brand, while Bitcoin is the de facto digital gold. This is a reality that has nothing to do w technicals and everything to do w messaging.

I don’t know enough to pick a winner, but I doubt apologists (you) who have picked a winner based solely on technicals, assuming that’s technicals are only thing that matter. They’re not. They never have been. They never will be.

I mean, you could even say that ETH doesn’t need consumer adoption bc all of the products on the ETH blockchain will bring the messaging and consumers. But you don’t say that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The one thing worth considering w ETH, for the umpteenth time, is the fact that it has no brand, while Bitcoin is the de facto digital gold. This is a reality that has nothing to do w technicals and everything to do w messaging.

It's not worth considering at all. Protocols don't need branding, they need developers. The fact that Bitcoin's price is based on memes has nothing to do with whether or not it will be widely adopted. Adoption is a technical question, not a marketing question.

I mean, you could even say that ETH doesn’t need consumer adoption bc all of the products on the ETH blockchain will bring the messaging and consumers. But you don’t say that.

What are you talking about, that's been my whole point the whole time, is that not what you got out of the new internet discussion? Ethereum is advertising to blockchain developers, and they are very effective at it.

• 1Picard
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
It's not worth considering at all. Protocols don't need branding, they need developers. The fact that Bitcoin's price is based on memes has nothing to do with whether or not it will be widely adopted. Adoption is a technical question, not a marketing question.

What are you talking about, that's been my whole point the whole time, is that not what you got out of the new internet discussion? Ethereum is advertising to blockchain developers, and they are very effective at it.

Lol. “Hi I’m James. My tag line is always right, never wrong!”

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
But anyway, try not to get too emotionally attached to your investment

He Gets It Kieran Culkin GIF by SuccessionHBO

• 1Like

Caliane

Adoption is a technical question, not a marketing question.
I meant, thats simply not true. A eth maximalist going around and giving talks to board directors on what blockchains and smart contracts can do for their companies would increase development tremendously.

technicals may win out over time. but someone heralding it would speed it up greatly.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
This part of the law is a little unsettling. However it seems more like a government problem than a Bitcoin problem. Not sure if its worth getting worked up about yet.... will see how it plays out. Maybe this could have some negative downstream affects I'm not seeing yet.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Crypto and block chain has been around for a while now and the only novel real world use of it has been….ransomware. Yeah, it’s poop.

• 1Worf

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I meant, thats simply not true. A eth maximalist going around and giving talks to board directors on what blockchains and smart contracts can do for their companies would increase development tremendously.

technicals may win out over time. but someone heralding it would speed it up greatly.

No, it is the absolute truth, all the marketing in the world won't change how many transactions a blockchain can process. They're already doing a great job onboarding companies into the Ethereum ecosystem (again, biggest development environment).

Lol. “Hi I’m James. My tag line is always right, never wrong!”

Hi, I'm Tmac, I can't figure out how to use Aave even though it's super simple. I don't care about replacing my bank whatsoever!

• 1EyeRoll

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Jack Mallers giving the whole story on the El Salvador Bitcoin adoption. NDA, meeting the president, wild story. It was about free markets and an open monetary system from the beginning. Number go up wasn't relevant. They recorded the process, will be a short documentary made on it all.

If you think Bitcoin is bad, or El Salvador adopting it is bad. Take the time to listen to this, you'll at least understand the thought process behind it. This kids passion is fantastic

EDIT: Bitcoin required acceptance law covered around 49:00-57

Last edited:

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
What's the general opinion on Chia? Guy at work keeps going on and on about it.
Chia is a scam that would pollute more than Bitcoin if it ever reached Bitcoin's adoption level. Bitcoin's PoW is mostly using stranded/waste energy from renewable sources in the first place, so the entire premise behind Chia being 'greener than Bitcoin' is nonsense. Chia does a ton of disk writes and needs fast disk access, so it destroys SSDs. It's not even the first coin to run with a 'proof of space' consensus mechanism as I recall another coin doing this back in 2017 and that one didn't destroy disks as far as I know.

Chia caused harddisk prices to double in the last couple of months. I rushed to buy one because my disks are about full and the tech press was talking about Chia, and so got in on the last sale mentioned on Slickdeals with a backorder and I pray they honor it. I've been waiting 2 months so far.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
What's the general opinion on Chia? Guy at work keeps going on and on about it.
First... what T Torrid said..

Second... It was SUPPOSED to be a thing where people could put unused NAS to work and towards a coin system with PoS. As it is it immediately became people trying to build stupid large SSD farms, then moving the "plots" to HDD once they were seeded, IIRC. And since the whole thing relies on a ton of "luck" to get any reward it only really benefits people with enough space to run very large farms.

Very unimpressed with Chia. Unless you mean this one :

Jive Turkey

Karen
am I retarded in thinking all these Youtubers talking about an incoming "death cross" are doing more to cause a plummet after said death cross by implying it's all doom and gloom if one happens?
A death cross seems like a pretty arbitrary measurement to begin with

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
am I retarded in thinking all these Youtubers talking about an incoming "death cross" are doing more to cause a plummet after said death cross by implying it's all doom and gloom if one happens?
A death cross seems like a pretty arbitrary measurement to begin with
It's showing the trend is decidedly negative and thus carries a bearish sentiment. If the 50 DMA drops below the 200, the last couple of months have been really shitty.

Jive Turkey

Karen
It's showing the trend is decidedly negative and thus carries a bearish sentiment. If the 50 DMA drops below the 200, the last couple of months have been really shitty.
Right, but the significance of the "death cross" doesn't mean anything. The cross itself is an arbitrary point that only holds significance in that humans like round numbers. Switch the number of days used to calculate the moving averages and the cross has already happened or will be delayed or will not happen at all. In other words, nothing special happens at the cross. And by using the cross as some sort of signifier, you're actually encouraging people to act differently after that point, which exasperates the down trend.

I'm still open to being retarded though

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I think it becomes less arbitrary as everyone else picks it as the "arbitrary" standard. Probably...

• 1Like