Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Tea_sl

shitlord
bitcoins cant catch a fucking break lately huh?
Catch a break? What did you think was going to happen in a completely unregulated economy? I guarantee that if bitcoin doesn't get a regulatory bitch slap in the gox aftermath, that another exchange/bank/scam will suck down an equivalent amount of bitcoins and actual money.

rinthe_sl

shitlord
Catch a break? What did you think was going to happen in a completely unregulated economy? I guarantee that if bitcoin doesn't get a regulatory bitch slap in the gox aftermath, that another exchange/bank/scam will suck down an equivalent amount of bitcoins and actual money.
regulation is NOT the answer

smarter market participants are

Hopefully after this, bitcoin market participants will be smart enough to realize that they need to fix their code so shit like this malleability-related theft is doesn't happen.

The next lessons they learn the hard way afterwards, in order are:

1. Give the cryptocurrency intrinsic value.
2. Don't fuck with governments monopoly on currencies.

Tea_sl

shitlord
regulation is NOT the answer

smarter market participants are

Hopefully after this, bitcoin market participants will be smart enough to realize that they need to fix their code so shit like this malleability-related theft is doesn't happen.

The next lessons they learn the hard way afterwards, in order are:

1. Give the cryptocurrency intrinsic value.
2. Don't fuck with governments monopoly on currencies.
Yeah, if only everyone was smarter and behaved like perfect rational actors then the market would work flawlessly. Well minus all the ways markets break all on their own anyways. I'm sure this bunch is finally the ones who finally cast off human nature and solve this problem for the first time in human history. By cargo culting modern finance and economy. Somehow.

If you think that exchanges, banks, and funds operating within a black box are going to magically eradicate large scale theft, fraud, greed, and incompetence through the goodness of people's hearts then I applaud your optimism, but I'm troubled by your naivete.

The chief problem is that bitcoin solved how to make a decentralized trustless network, but didn't address any problems that a decentralized network creates. It's horrendously inefficient, and even the absolutely paltry number of bitcoin transactions currently consumes as much power as a small country each day. When you combine this base inefficiency with problems of scale and inability to adapt you've got a clusterfuck.

The next steps are figuring out how provide proof or work and secure the network in such a way as to not encourage an arms race to the bottom, while providing a protocol that is adaptable without hard forking itself every time you want to try and change something. Also, a sane method of distribution and creation. I also have no idea how a decentralized currency/commodity/weird hybrid is suppose to respond to developing economic conditions. I'd guess the true believers would say that the market will just work itself out, which is not an answer grounded in either history or reality. It's just a fucking endless series of things that need to be addressed to make a functional decentralized e-coin. Bitcoin was a first step. Much more actual innovation and considered study are needed, which are things I've never once seen in the cyptocurrency community.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
It's horrendously inefficient, and even the absolutely paltry number of bitcoin transactions currently consumes as much power as a small country each day.
Everything else you said was great, but this is a misleading statement. The difficulty is high right now because the high rate of BTC minting (25 per block) combined with its value in USD makes it profitable for this extreme electrical burn. Block rewards will diminish, hardware will become more specialized. So the current high rate of burn is not sustainable.

Silence_sl

shitlord
I imagine there are lots of really bad people that are going to start looking for Mark Karpeles' head right about now. Russian/Japanese mafia. Drug cartels. He'd better hope that money he stole will buy him a lot of anonymity, otherwise it's his head on a stick, for sure.

Vinen

God is dead
All this fail makes me happy inside.

Maybe this will teach libtards that regulation is OK.

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
No regulation is the best way to prevent failure of the regulator you idiot.

Cryptocurrencies are not gonna die, there is a demand for it, there is a need for it, it's just still in developpement stage, and hopefully it will always be.

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gox was the cause of several major issues in bitcoin. Its probably a good thing they are gone. Sucks for the people that were holding coins in gox though. I'm sure that this will lower the price of bitcoin substantially though and will probably drive a lot of miners out due to the loss of ROI. Though it might give people a chance to buy in and wait for the next bubble to come along and sell high.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Everything else you said was great, but this is a misleading statement. The difficulty is high right now because the high rate of BTC minting (25 per block) combined with its value in USD makes it profitable for this extreme electrical burn. Block rewards will diminish, hardware will become more specialized. So the current high rate of burn is not sustainable.
I agree that it isn't sustainable and won't last, but it's because my long term view of bitcoin isn't good. Essentially, I don't think reward halving is going to significantly reduce the computing power of the network because it's more a function of how widespread adoption is. Since the overwhelming majority of coins as are in the hands of very few people, then increased adoption means mining is always going to be a path of acquisition for new entrants to the market. Just like how the 2012 halving did nothing to slow the rate at which new hardware was added to the network. Hardware has been rapidly becoming more efficient for close to a year now, but total network energy consumed has consistently and significantly outpaced the gains made through efficiency due to spurred adoption.

In short it's unsustainable because the bitcoin protocol isn't sustainable. Not for actual widespread adoption anyway.

rinthe_sl

shitlord
So, if we belive that the stuff thats going around, 750k bitcoins unaccounted for. That's $375 million. One of the biggest thefts ever. Awesome. Makes me think of a GwtDT like scene where some young nerd is soon to be rocking up in Monaco with a whole new life.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wonder how centralized the theft was. Can you imagine some geek in his parents basement sitting on 750k BTC?