1690829771527.png

1690829807816.png

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
If you're still holding alts be cautious. You may not be able to easily offload them before too long. I suspect we'll see more of this.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think it's more that some people are starting to realize that at some point the "your money is based on nothing besides you saying your money is valuable" rooster will come home to roost.
here's what backs the USD

maxresdefault.jpg

Specifically, the ability to enter into any theatre and control it with conventional means, especially on trade routes over seas.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
After how many years of rainbow flag indoctrination of the services will this last? How many billion of stockpiled arms sent to Ukraine? I feel that this argument, while historically accurate, gets weaker every year. USD is still king, but it doesn't seem implausible that when that changes, it changes all at once.

When that change occurs (tomorrow or in 40 years) what does the landscape look like? What exists to replace it? Pulling on that thread leads to Bitcoin, even if your probability for this is small, it can't credibly be zero. Is your % allocation equal to your probability?

That would be my base case for holding Bitcoin to your average no-coiner at least.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Wasn't someone in this thread a real fan of MATIC?
I was a while back, but am not really any longer. They need to hit a point of real world use and usefulness. I thought they were heading that way as the inexpensive L2 solution on top of ETH to facilitate real world use of it. But that hasn't come to pass, and I realized a while back it probably wasn't going to with MATIC.

maxresdefault.jpg

Specifically, the ability to enter into any theatre and control it with conventional means, especially on trade routes over seas.
And Afghanistan then kinda "unbacked" the USD then? Because all those pretty ships weren't able to enforce our will on a country with a resistance armed with AKs and IEDs... hiding in mountains and driving us out. And getting us to leave them billions in arms and equipment as a prize. Add into this that we aren't exactly enforcing our sovereign will on Russia in Ukraine right now.... Then look down the road to see what we will or won't really be able to do if China decides it's time to fully reintegrate Taiwan? Essentially our currency is the default world reserve currency because we're the biggest bully on the block, but people are starting to simply ignore that. So at that point, how strong is the currency backed by our military might?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
And Afghanistan then kinda "unbacked" the USD then? Because all those pretty ships weren't able to enforce our will on a country with a resistance armed with AKs and IEDs... hiding in mountains and driving us out.
Driving us out of what? What resources, industry or trade routes were we protecting in that war? We've got a global military built around a mission to protect the US and its interests, the mission to BTFO Afghanistan and rebuild it was doomed because it didn't align to that mission. Same question for Ukraine.

To yours and Flobee's larger point about long term viability, the USA's current position being backed by the military is not a permanent position and there are many different ways it would transform, degrade or increase. An interesting way is our oil import graphs, specifically oil imports from outside our backyard of North America.

U.S._trade_in_crude_oil%2C_petroleum_products%2C_natural_gas%2C_and_coal_%282000-2017%29_%2844637262144%29.png

US_oil_imports_by_country.png

None of this changes that the sentiment of "money is only valuable because you think it's valuable" being reductionist due to there being fundamental reasons why we think of it as valuable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Not to completely derail the conversation away from talking about dogcoin#4963 going to the moon, but I generally agree that the US is far and away in the best condition moving into what I suspect is going to be a global recession as globalization fails. My point is more that in the process of the US 'winning' in this environment they will likely destroy all global credibility in their position (via USTs) as a trustable global reserve asset.

Weaponizing the dollar started this, but stuff like this (if legitimate) further cements it. To be clear USD could get a LOT stronger in the short-medium term as its going to take time for this to play out.

In an environment of declining international trust and reshoring of supply chains what does money look like? It seems to me that a medium of exchange that minimizes trust between participants has value. It isn't a guarantee but I can't really think of a more ideal setup. This is completely ignoring things like national debts, money printing, etc... as they apply to Bitcoin's limited supply and programmed disbursement (inflation) schedule.

You can have multiple current event conversation that in my view end with Bitcoin succeeding.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
:emoji_wave:

Still have a big bag MATIC and no intention of selling. Going to ride this bitch into the ground- or wherever it takes me.

• 1Worf

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Driving us out of what? What resources, industry or trade routes were we protecting in that war?

As an aside, just giving away Bagram is all of this. The strategic importance of that base was insane. No deal or exit should have ever been executed that didn't allow us to maintain our position in Bagram.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Wasn't someone in this thread a real fan of MATIC?
I made like $60k on it in 2021. I haven’t bought nor sold any crypto since 2021.

Biggest thing I even own in crypto is almost 80,000 TrueBit which has went down to 1/4 of its value. All bought with house money.

I really haven’t at all followed crypto in the two years since. I’d only buy any more of it which has a noted real world usage.

I still “like” TrueBit as a gamble as it does have a theoretical usage if it’s ever adopted, and the team behind it is notable at least.

Do I ever expect it to really take off? Ehhhh. Don’t care either way, but cool if it does. Personally I don’t see dabbling in crypto again any time soon.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I made like $60k on it in 2021. I haven’t bought nor sold any crypto since 2021.

Biggest thing I even own in crypto is almost 80,000 TrueBit which has went down to 1/4 of its value. All bought with house money.

I really haven’t at all followed crypto in the two years since. I’d only buy any more of it which has a noted real world usage.

I still “like” TrueBit as a gamble as it does have a theoretical usage if it’s ever adopted, and the team behind it is notable at least.

Do I ever expect it to really take off? Ehhhh. Don’t care either way, but cool if it does. Personally I don’t see dabbling in crypto again any time soon.
Jackie!!
How is the Lord of Silver doing?

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Meanwhile coinbase playing pop up games begging me to stake all my shit for 3%. Maybe somehow worth since I was just calling it lost money and waiting for the 5 year maybe it will turn around. Talking a whopping $350 down from 1k.