Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
And to go back to my point, there's nothing special about bitcoin that can't be replicated. Why would the crypto they can't control be the one they pick instead of something that governments develop?
Why concede that 'they' get to choose? It may very well turn out that you're right, but why is everyone so ready to admit defeat before any fighting has happened? Bitcoin is special for a number of reasons but you'll have to do the work yourself to understand that. Plenty of things have been posted here to help you along the way if you're so inclined.

What if there WAS a decentralized currency that stores value, isn't controlled by anyone, and removed the ability to print from governments? Isn't that worth understanding and supporting? Or do you like being led like a cow to slaughter?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well no, because that’s not 20-30 percent cheaper. 😀

Apt comparison would be selling at $139.99 to rebuy at $100.
Incorrect. You are focusing on percentage only, but the realized loss/gain is in actual pennies. Percentages are always skewed at the extremes and shouldn't be used. It's why I said I didn't want to get into the weeds on the math. You would have to normalize both examples to dollars of gain/loss.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why concede that 'they' get to choose? It may very well turn out that you're right, but why is everyone so ready to admit defeat before any fighting has happened? Bitcoin is special for a number of reasons but you'll have to do the work yourself to understand that. Plenty of things have been posted here to help you along the way if you're so inclined.

What if there WAS a decentralized currency that stores value, isn't controlled by anyone, and removed the ability to print from governments? Isn't that worth understanding and supporting? Or do you like being led like a cow to slaughter?
Because "they" is things like all of business. You think fucking everyone is going to eat a giant shit sandwich and take "bitcoin pennies" on the dollar for all their assets?

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Because "they" is things like all of business. You think fucking everyone is going to eat a giant shit sandwich and take "bitcoin pennies" on the dollar for all their assets?
I don't. I think Bitcoin makes everyone a shit ton of money over time. The specifics are complicated but essentially a deflationary currency combined with the price deflation caused by technological advances allows for asset prices to deflate while any money saved increases in value. It would create abundance that better matches the incredible amount of innovation and efficiency gains created by technology in the past hundred years. Our monetary system is the problem. The transition from here to there will be ugly.

This isn't directed at you specifically, but I'm consistently surprised at how quickly otherwise industrious and independent men are willing to just capitulate to the idea that they have no control over the future. The idea that we're all fucked and the world is inevitably going to only get worse is so pervasive today that it makes me sick. This is particularly evident in political discussions, where the 'elite' are diabolical geniuses that will always win no matter what. Meanwhile look at how fucking incompetent those in charge are right now. This attempted commie coup is so sloppy only the most brainwashed among us aren't getting redpilled.

These people aren't all powerful. They're not omnipotent, and they've underestimated Bitcoin. At its core Bitcoin is a revolution. This is made very clear when you read Satoshi's writings about why he created Bitcoin and what he expected it to do if successful. EVERYONE should be highly skeptical and do their own research, but once you do you're going to find that this fucking thing actually has legs. Our current system is clearly in its death throes, something is going to have to replace it. What exactly do you think is better positioned to do so than Bitcoin? Digital Yuan? You really think the world is going to trust China with that level of visibility into their transactions? You think they'll trust ANY country with that power?

Oh, and if businesses are so anti Bitcoin, why are they buying so much? 6.8% of all Bitcoin currently disclosed.

1619219064033.png

EDIT: Adding some relevant recent headlines

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
No, it really is. I could drop the math but suffice it to say the cost basis is 0.22. Sell at a loss at 0.21. Hope to buy at 0.17/0.18 and ride it up. If the price hits 0.20 then you made about 0.02 minus the loss you ate so about a penny a share. If it only hits 0.19 you break even. If it hit 0.23 then you could have sat tight, had zero risk and made a profit The risk btw, is you eat a loss, buy at 0.17/0.18 and then it drops again because there is no way to gauge it other than guesswork and hopium. You end up compounding your loss.

All for pennies of possible profit per coin. This risk vs reward is worse than marrying your ex-wife a second time because "hey, it could be worse than it was the first time you did it".

Also I didn't account for rransaction fees because I don't know them but I am guessing trades aren't free.

You're making a logical point here. I already compounded my loss a bit (though I don't see it that way) by buying more once it fell to .19 (only to see it keep going).

This is a very tricky game to navigate for people who can't see the future, since there isn't a lot of rhyme or reason to these things right now. Sitting tight is the safest thing to do rather than attempting to game the system, but getting more at a lower price to sort of un-compound your loss has its appeal.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
VET kissing 18s again as BTC is fondling 49s again. 😬 Got my buy order at 0.14 but may adjust it even lower. Going to dinner and a movie soon with a bunch of alarms set.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It's only bad idea on paper until you execute it and them it's a bad idea in reality. I wish you all the best, but this idea really isn't... good.

Just curious, do you pay any transaction fees on these trades?

Not really on Binance. I don't know the specific numbers but it's very low, single-digit dollars for me. On Coinbase, fees for the same transactions would have been in the $40-50 range, so...

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Incorrect. You are focusing on percentage only, but the realized loss/gain is in actual pennies. Percentages are always skewed at the extremes and shouldn't be used. It's why I said I didn't want to get into the weeds on the math. You would have to normalize both examples to dollars of gain/loss.

So say I don't sell at a loss, say we get a brief spike to .22 and I sell $1000 of VET there at essentially neutral baseline. Then I wait for this weekend and buy it back at .16. Putting aside whatever small fees add up to, my new $1000 investment should be worth about $1250 when it gets back to .22.

Is the issue mainly the "selling at a loss" part? I.e. selling for .20 or .21 instead of letting it get to where I bought in? I would definitely say that's a terrible habit to get into. It continuing to drop after .16 is also a risk. Losing 4 cents at .16 is worse than losing 4 cents at .24 since it's a larger percentage, so there's that too.

I recognize that the whole exercise is basically pointless if it doesn't actually dip down to .16 or that range, and that I'd be gambling on the idea that it will when it's also possible it'll go to .25 over the weekend in a massive rally. I may give it a shot with $1000 and see how it goes, certainly not with the whole VET stockpile.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't. I think Bitcoin makes everyone a shit ton of money over time. The specifics are complicated but essentially a deflationary currency combined with the price deflation caused by technological advances allows for asset prices to deflate while any money saved increases in value. It would create abundance that better matches the incredible amount of innovation and efficiency gains created by technology in the past hundred years. Our monetary system is the problem. The transition from here to there will be ugly.

This isn't directed at you specifically, but I'm consistently surprised at how quickly otherwise industrious and independent men are willing to just capitulate to the idea that they have no control over the future. The idea that we're all fucked and the world is inevitably going to only get worse is so pervasive today that it makes me sick. This is particularly evident in political discussions, where the 'elite' are diabolical geniuses that will always win no matter what. Meanwhile look at how fucking incompetent those in charge are right now. This attempted commie coup is so sloppy only the most brainwashed among us aren't getting redpilled.

These people aren't all powerful. They're not omnipotent, and they've underestimated Bitcoin. At its core Bitcoin is a revolution. This is made very clear when you read Satoshi's writings about why he created Bitcoin and what he expected it to do if successful. EVERYONE should be highly skeptical and do their own research, but once you do you're going to find that this fucking thing actually has legs. Our current system is clearly in its death throes, something is going to have to replace it. What exactly do you think is better positioned to do so than Bitcoin? Digital Yuan? You really think the world is going to trust China with that level of visibility into their transactions? You think they'll trust ANY country with that power?

Oh, and if businesses are so anti Bitcoin, why are they buying so much? 6.8% of all Bitcoin currently disclosed.

View attachment 350421

EDIT: Adding some relevant recent headlines

And I'm consistently amazed at how devoid of what seems like common sense crypto adherents have.

I have a business degree. Maybe that's the problem is I understand how shit works, and don't have some pie in the sky mentality about how everyone is going to just kumbaya into BTC for no other reason than a bunch of assholes on the internet were first adopters and are completely bought in because otherwise their "investment" becomes worthless.

Edit: And to clarify, my entire point here isn't that cryptocurrency itself doesn't have value. I'm specifically saying there's no reason Bitcoin will be the holy coin. In fact, the entire fact that it was the first one to have adoption with the public works in direct contradiction to being useful as a replacement for fiat. A cryptocurrency absolutely could replace fiat, in fact. Bitcoin will not be it. As much as you're dreaming that your half a coin will make you a billionaire, shit just isn't going to happen, sorry.

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You're making a logical point here. I already compounded my loss a bit (though I don't see it that way) by buying more once it fell to .19 (only to see it keep going).

This is a very tricky game to navigate for people who can't see the future, since there isn't a lot of rhyme or reason to these things right now. Sitting tight is the safest thing to do rather than attempting to game the system, but getting more at a lower price to sort of un-compound your loss has its appeal.
This isn't investing, it's gambling. And I am fine with gambling, just make sure recognize it for what it is.

There is an old saying in poker. If you can't figure who the dead money is 5 minutes after sitting down at the table, then you are the dead money.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I have a business degree. Maybe that's the problem is I understand how shit works.
Lmao. You have really become full of yourself over the years. Your post history in this thread shows you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm specifically saying there's no reason Bitcoin will be the holy coin. In fact, the entire fact that it was the first one to have adoption with the public works in direct contradiction to being useful as a replacement for fiat. A cryptocurrency absolutely could replace fiat, in fact. Bitcoin will not be it.

Tend to agree with this. Mainly because of this:

At its core Bitcoin is a revolution.

I think the crypto that replaces fiat works with the current system through evolution rather than revolution. Luminaries and philosophers are taken with the concept of bitcoin, but I think it will be an engineer's coin that replaces fiat, not a philosopher's coin: A highly adaptable coin with a team that is able to integrate with the current dynamic rather than try and replace it outright.

Plus I think people need to ditch the "one crypto" idea. The beautiful thing about blockchain tech is that there are so many different ways to use it, and you can attach a monetary system to all of them. Not every one of these shitcoins is going to make it, but I think several will- especially the ones with strong use cases and great design communities. There are tons of currencies right now, only they are delineated by nationality rather than use case.

I actually see BTC retaining it's value and even becoming much more valuable- but more as a collector's item than a practical spending currency.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lmao. You have really become full of yourself over the years. Your post history in this thread shows you really have no idea what you are talking about.
Uh, okay? What about Bitcoin is going to make it replace fiat? How are you going to convince everyone to give up all of their assets? And how are you going to evenly distribute the finite amount of Bitcoin that is already currently owned to cover those assets?

Or, as I suggested, is that just fucking retarded? There's nothing about Bitcoin itself that can't be replicated. As such, if a cryptocurrency were to replace fiat, it'd be much easier to do so with something brand new that isn't hoarded already. The richest person in the world isn't going to suddenly be some asshole who owns a hundred million dollars of Bitcoin.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Why would anyone ever admit to owning a btc at any point? Even when a bitcoin is spent to buy something that ends up in my hands, I have no fucking clue where it came from or why they sent it to me. People signing up for coinbase and what not really just make me shake my head, cause that's not how I'd do it. Which I definitely don't.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Why would anyone ever admit to owning a btc at any point? Even when a bitcoin is spent to buy something that ends up in my hands, I have no fucking clue where it came from or why they sent it to me. People signing up for coinbase and what not really just make me shake my head, cause that's not how I'd do it. Which I definitely don't.

I would advise anybody to not use Coinbase. The fees are unreal and cost me a few hundred over the couple of months that I used it. Find a platform that won't fee you to death.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I would advise anybody to not use Coinbase. The fees are unreal and cost me a few hundred over the couple of months that I used it. Find a platform that won't fee you to death.

Just something to spark the imagination. Preferably hide your USB keys in the open and in things that aren't likely to attract the attention of people looking to steal from you, such as governments and thieves.Objects that require intelligence to appreciate, but have no value are the best hiding spots from said ne'er do wells.

Haus

<Silver Donator>

I've struggled with this as it's one of the few that I can easily access, and being in Texas I seem to hit a wall trying to use almost any other exchange it feels like. I haven't wanted to give in to the allure of being "Haus from the Netherlands" via a VPN yet for this. It was also the easiest to set up as an on/off ramp attached to my banking accounts. Any suggestions for a Texan wanting to actually do it legally?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
And to go back to my point, there's nothing special about bitcoin that can't be replicated. Why would the crypto they can't control be the one they pick instead of something that governments develop?

Bitcoin’s market cap is significant.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've struggled with this as it's one of the few that I can easily access, and being in Texas I seem to hit a wall trying to use almost any other exchange it feels like. I haven't wanted to give in to the allure of being "Haus from the Netherlands" via a VPN yet for this. It was also the easiest to set up as an on/off ramp attached to my banking accounts. Any suggestions for a Texan wanting to actually do it legally?

Binance if it's allowed in that state. Coinbase Pro is said to have better fees. Neither should be too tough to set up if they're available.

I was pretty lucky to be able to get Binance in my state.