Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
And I'm consistently amazed at how devoid of what seems like common sense crypto adherents have.

I have a business degree. Maybe that's the problem is I understand how shit works, and don't have some pie in the sky mentality about how everyone is going to just kumbaya into BTC for no other reason than a bunch of assholes on the internet were first adopters and are completely bought in because otherwise their "investment" becomes worthless.

Edit: And to clarify, my entire point here isn't that cryptocurrency itself doesn't have value. I'm specifically saying there's no reason Bitcoin will be the holy coin. In fact, the entire fact that it was the first one to have adoption with the public works in direct contradiction to being useful as a replacement for fiat. A cryptocurrency absolutely could replace fiat, in fact. Bitcoin will not be it. As much as you're dreaming that your half a coin will make you a billionaire, shit just isn't going to happen, sorry.
You clutch on to your boomer stock nest egg and I'll clutch my magical internet money and we'll see how it all works out. I'm not here to convert you. I've just done the work and I have conviction about where I think Bitcoin is going. I like this community and if I'm right about this I hope some of you will buy some and come along for the ride. We're still so early a small investment could be life changing for most of us.

I'll repeat that Bitcoin has a number of characteristics that no other crypto has or can replicate. If you actually know anything about crypto then you know this already. I suspect that someone you respect shits on Bitcoin so you follow their lead without putting in the time to investigate yourself. Understandable, I do that with all sorts of things. You've got the wrong take here though. If I'm right you'll figure that out on your own eventually. You do have that business degree after all so I'm sure you'll be 10 steps ahead of the rest of us plebs.

EDIT: People aren't going to 'kumbaya into BTC' they're going to flee to it as every other currency gets inflated to shit. It may take 5 years or 50 years but its coming. Maybe something else absorbs that value, but I don't see anything else around right now.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Why would anyone ever admit to owning a btc at any point? Even when a bitcoin is spent to buy something that ends up in my hands, I have no fucking clue where it came from or why they sent it to me. People signing up for coinbase and what not really just make me shake my head, cause that's not how I'd do it. Which I definitely don't.
Probably the best advice in this thread so far. Wish I'd understood this before I got started

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
When it was in the high 19's earlier I took a fraction of my VET and did the sell-to-buy-later-in-the-weekend thing, mainly as an experiment more than anything else. We'll see if it results in anything. Since it's a fraction it won't really matter either way, just a curiosity to see if I can turn $1000 into $1200 at the same level or thereabouts. If it doesn't work it doesn't work. Yeah, it's gambling.

I really do want to hands-off with this stuff for a while and let it do whatever it's going to do after this though.

MachRed

Molten Core Raider
I’ve been mildly interested in BTC since it was sub $100 and missed out on what could have been life changing choices if I weren’t such a pussy about losing money on bullshit scams, which I thought crypto was up until say 2019.

DeFi is the game changer in my opinion. There’s a lot of APY to earn across various places.

For general info I find this guy to be among the best. Coin Bureau

• 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
You clutch on to your boomer stock nest egg and I'll clutch my magical internet money and we'll see how it all works out. I'm not here to convert you. I've just done the work and I have conviction about where I think Bitcoin is going. I like this community and if I'm right about this I hope some of you will buy some and come along for the ride. We're still so early a small investment could be life changing for most of us.

I'll repeat that Bitcoin has a number of characteristics that no other crypto has or can replicate. If you actually know anything about crypto then you know this already. I suspect that someone you respect shits on Bitcoin so you follow their lead without putting in the time to investigate yourself. Understandable, I do that with all sorts of things. You've got the wrong take here though. If I'm right you'll figure that out on your own eventually. You do have that business degree after all so I'm sure you'll be 10 steps ahead of the rest of us plebs.

EDIT: People aren't going to 'kumbaya into BTC' they're going to flee to it as every other currency gets inflated to shit. It may take 5 years or 50 years but its coming. Maybe something else absorbs that value, but I don't see anything else around right now.
Zach Galifianakis Reaction GIF

If you think your average suburban mom is going to be buying groceries with Bitcoin or Eth in 5 years then you're delusional. If your answer is "they'll just convert it to cash to buy stuff" then that does nothing to solve inflation.

People have been worrying about inflation forever. It's unavoidable and it's a feature of a healthy, growing economy. Sure out of control inflation should be avoided but I've been hearing that's coming since 2007 and it still hasn't happened.

Crypto is an interesting abstraction for hyper tech nerds that's made it's way into the mainstream consciousness. 99.9% of people will never understand how it actually works beyond "buy low, sell high lol". At some point when enough money from Main Street makes it's way into crypto the sharks will snatch it all away, people will lose money they couldn't afford, the mainstream media will convince everyone it was an alt right plot thought up by Nazis and it will go back to being an abstraction for nerds in the dark corners of the Internet.

The End.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Beagling
Reactions: 2 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
If you think your average suburban mom is going to be buying groceries with Bitcoin or Eth in 5 years then you're delusional. If your answer is "they'll just convert it to cash to buy stuff" then that does nothing to solve inflation.

People have been worrying about inflation forever. It's unavoidable and it's a feature of a healthy, growing economy. Sure out of control inflation should be avoided but I've been hearing that's coming since 2007 and it still hasn't happened.

Crypto is an interesting abstraction for hyper tech nerds that's made it's way into the mainstream consciousness. 99.9% of people will never understand how it actually works beyond "buy low, sell high lol". At some point when enough money from Main Street makes it's way into crypto the sharks will snatch it all away, people will lose money they couldn't afford, the mainstream media will convince everyone it was an alt right plot thought up by Nazis and it will go back to being an abstraction for nerds in the dark corners of the Internet.

The End.
Suburban mom's don't know their using TCP/IP, HTTP, or SSH either. Bitcoin is a protocol. Monetary system is going to run on top of it. I imagine people will know they're using it but they're probably not going to be memorizing seed phrases and hiding their hardware wallets. You don't need to understand the internet to use it, Bitcoin will be no different.

Inflation is a hidden tax. It has NOT always been acceptable, it is a feature of fiat currency systems. If money is based on gold you cant just make more gold. You can mine it, but that requires finding and excavating it (Proof of Work). You can only debase the money by decreasing purity, shaving coins etc. This is exactly what inflation is, it is robbing the people who use and earn the currency by decreasing the purity or value over time. They are breaking the social contract of the long term value of a unit of money in order to pay off government debts rather than spend responsibly. EVERY fiat currency does this eventually. Seemingly no government can resist the temptation to debase a currency eventually.

You think it is 'normal' because you were conditioned to think it is normal. If you look deeper into monetary history you'll see that hard money has been the norm throughout most of history and it does not have an inflation rate in the same way current money does. What we learn about economics in school is horseshit. Why is it acceptable for the value of your $ to decrease in value every year but your wages don't increase at the same rate? How does printing more $ by the Fed help anyone but those benefitting from the Cantillion effect?

It doesn't, it is a scam. You think its healthy because that's what you were told to think. You don't accept their propaganda about politics, why do you accept their propaganda about money?

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I like how you went from the guy who like a year ago came into the thread knowing nothing, and now you've decided you're the ultimate authority on all things crypto.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Cryptocurrency is just playing DopeWars with real money, and cash is a losing position.

Both of these things can be true and are true.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Uh, okay? What about Bitcoin is going to make it replace fiat?

Literally all it takes is people putting a small amount into it over a period of time.

Its no different than any other basic investing plan. Pick what you like, invest over time.

But the way it scales is inverted to equities.

To answer concisely, what i think you meant, it can operate like gold but with zero weight, instant transfer's, more secure.

The only real way to shut down crypto imo would be to completely censor the internet, which I mean fuk we arent that far off with America going full fascism.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The enemies of the US, namely China, know that the only way to take down America is to replace the dollar as the world's reserve currency. America becomes a 3rd world country (but with nukes) in a week if that happens. So China will continue pushing crypto externally while seeking to control it internally.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
'BTC as a store of value' is the exact equivalent of 'Euro/Yuan replacing the dollar as the defacto standard of exchange.'

It is an interesting concept that falls apart once you start looking at the actual real world consequences of a giant economy tanking and the majority of its capital fleeing to BTC. Then we will get people trying to spend it, exchange it, use it to back loans, and realizing the practical limitations of an anonymous and decentralized currency.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, dollar as the reserve time's started ticking a while ago.

And everything I've seen for a while doesnt show any slowing it down.

It's already gutshot, only hasnt bled out yet.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
The enemies of the US, namely China, know that the only way to take down America is to replace the dollar as the world's reserve currency. America becomes a 3rd world country (but with nukes) in a week if that happens. So China will continue pushing crypto externally while seeking to control it internally.

The dollar as fiat is more about the United States' projection of power and stability in crisis. How exactly will China undermine either of those factors(let alone both simultaneously) when its situation is much more tenuous?

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, dollar as the reserve time's started ticking a while ago.

And everything I've seen for a while doesnt show any slowing it down.

It's already gutshot, only hasnt bled out yet.

This is conjecture with no facts backing it up. What will replace the dollar as fiat and list 3 compelling reasons why.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I like how you went from the guy who like a year ago came into the thread knowing nothing, and now you've decided you're the ultimate authority on all things crypto.
Yea, I spent a year reading 20+ hours a week about it. I've been obsessed. I don't know everything, but I've put in the time to have a solid opinion.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
This is conjecture with no facts backing it up. What will replace the dollar as fiat and list 3 compelling reasons why.

There is going to be serious pain if the dollar is to remain the world reserve.

Like serious fucking hurt for almost everyone.

I dont think people are capable of pushing society through it, much less society actually enduring it.

And why do you think it would be fiat?

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

On the other hand, I'm the guy who came into the thread knowing nothing, and I still know nothing

Edit: Not putting down the thread, I've actually learned a LOT from these threads, so much as I'm putting down myself for still making a fair amount of mistakes

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The dollar as fiat is more about the United States' projection of power and stability in crisis. How exactly will China undermine either of those factors(let alone both simultaneously) when its situation is much more tenuous?
America doesn't look particularly stable these days. It is not likely to get better in the near-term (25 years.)

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I went deep into the "hyperinflation imminent" rabbit hole years ago, all the same voices that were saying it now were preaching it back then too. Massive money creation through QE cycles made it all seem very likely. I bought physical gold and everything. Gold tanked and went sideways for a nearly a decade afterwards.

This hyperinflation (or even 70s style high inflation) hasn't materialized. Highly leveraged assets have blown up as is common in periods of low interest rates, but we have not really seen high particularly high inflation. Investopedia has some ideas about why.

If you want more dollar FUD, Money as Debt was a good doc about it even if it's not particularly flashy. It actually came out before the 2008 crash, there is a followup that covers that too.