Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Hardware wallets aren't any more secure than software wallets, tbh. Smart contract wallets will be the future, when we get a good one of those retail will feel a lot safer jumping in.

I felt the pain yesterday as I was trying to consolidate my ETH, BTC, and alt coins. They're split between two exchanges and two wallets. Hella annoying.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I meant like how is my crypto steel cold storage not safer than a software wallet?

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Hardware wallets introduce an additional vector of attack, the hardware itself, in addition to any exploits in the software wallet running on the hardware. This could be anything from a compromised USB drive, to the hardware wallet itself being compromised. Your wallet is just an address on the blockchain that you have the keys to, so wallet strategies tend to revolve around the best ways to protect your keys which often involves writing 24 words on a sheet of paper and putting it in a safety deposit box or something. Smart contract wallets offer an additional layer of security, and allows you to do things like create a social recovery option for your keys and require multiple signatures to initiate a transfer. Smart contract wallets are also just an address on the blockchain, but with trustless programming running it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
i'm stiumlated by the flobee and james + others conversation. currently connecting uniswap to my coinbase so i can throw money at shit ive never heard of.

you need the coinbase app AND the coinbase wallet app to link it to Uniswap. you open the CB wallet and scan the QR code to link your wallet to Uniswap and should be good to go.

Yeah, I did all of that but I must have done it wrong because Uniswap doesn't show me as having anything in my wallet. Coinbase app and Coinbase Wallet app are definitely connected to each other and show me the same numbers of Eth. I scanned a QR code with the phone/CW app after loading up Uniswap on the computer, and Uniswap still just sits there at zero ETH. I didn't even have to log into it or anything. 90% chance I missed something obvious.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Only thing you missed is Coinbase sucking ass, but the CB wallet on the phone does have a browser that you can use to visit Uniswap, where you pick "in-browser wallet" to use it. Should be the middle icon at the bottom with the 4 squares.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Well, I guess buying $850 Doge this week was the right call, it's like $1100 now.

Effing Doge

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
When do I sell all my doge?

Probably on Sunday? Depends on what happens with Elon and SNL. It could blow up after SNL if something happens, it could blow up in anticipation of SNL and then nothing happens. Either way I think it'll take a dive once it gets to, I dunno, .95 or so. The goal is a dollar, and I think people are expecting a mass sell-off at that point, so they'll try to sell before that to pre-empt the sell-off (thus creating a mass sell-off). So somewhere between .95 and 1.05 will be a mass sell-off depending on how paperhandsy the masses are.

TL;DR: I have no idea

Personally I'm gonna wait and see what happens with SNL and then make a judgment then.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Only thing you missed is Coinbase sucking ass, but the CB wallet on the phone does have a browser that you can use to visit Uniswap, where you pick "in-browser wallet" to use it. Should be the middle icon at the bottom with the 4 squares.

Alright, the missing step was that I hadn't sent the Ether from Coinbase to the wallet address, I just expected them to link automatically. Got the address in the lower corner of Uniswap, sent $10 from Coinbase to it as a test, $10 appeared in CB Wallet and thus Uniswap.

However, every transfer costs almost $5, so my "test transfer" slammed me with the same $5 fee that my transfer of the rest cost. Coinbase sucks ass, this is why I dropped it for other platforms as soon as I could.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This "you don't have enough available to cover the miner fee" in Uniswap that changes by the second is super annoying. Also the miner fees are huge. I did an Eth swap to TrueBit and now I've got $30 less Eth (the miner fee). The rest of the Eth is just sitting there, I'm guessing until the mining is concluded. Very different from what I'm used to with Binance trades being almost instant.

Feels like I've stepped out of mainstream crypto trading and into The Nerd Dimension. TrueBit went from like .60 to .75 since I was looking at it last night so at least I got it done.

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
This "you don't have enough available to cover the miner fee" in Uniswap that changes by the second is super annoying. Also the miner fees are huge. I did an Eth swap to TrueBit and now I've got $30 less Eth (the miner fee). The rest of the Eth is just sitting there, I'm guessing until the mining is concluded. Very different from what I'm used to with Binance trades being almost instant.

Feels like I've stepped out of mainstream crypto trading and into The Nerd Dimension. TrueBit went from like .60 to .75 since I was looking at it last night so at least I got it done.

On uniswap you should be able to see the trade and whether it was successful or pending or failed. Yes, its annoying with constant miners fees changing.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
More Uniswap adventures:

-The first transaction failed after a few minutes because it took too long and came back with "not enough to cover transaction" as the error, still lost the $30 gas charge so that sucks. Let's try again and not set the mining speed to "slow" this time.

-With the mining speed on "normal" and a lower buy amount (so that it wouldn't get priced-out during the process again) the second attempt to do an exchange worked. Down another $30 but hey. Except it says my $500 in Eth was converted to 665 TrueBit which is worth $280. Though adding up the current TrueBit price has 665 at $498, or just about what it cost minus fees. So unless the price dropped by almost 50% in the 30 seconds the transaction took, I should have $498 of TrueBit. Since it has the correct amount under that (665) maybe it just takes time for the dollar amount available to catch up as it "fills" that order for 665? Cause right now it looks like I just spent over $500 to get $280.

Question, would the gas fees be more reasonable if I used something besides Eth to convert into TrueBit?

Edit: Transaction was an hour ago and it's still sitting there with "$280 (665 TrueBit)", which doesn't even make any sense. It's like having "$30,000 (1 Bitcoin)". Maybe there's a UniSwap Customer Support I can call in India to find out where my other $218 is.

Last edited:

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Question, would the gas fees be more reasonable if I used something besides Eth to convert into TrueBit?

Yes, if you pre-convert your ETH to WETH, it skips a step in the swapping process in the Uniswap contract. ETH is not compliant with the ERC-20 standard, so there is a Wrapped ETH protocol that makes it compliant.

The price of the coin in your wallet is not always accurate, especially with Uniswap coins.

• 1Like

Moglyzoke Moogleman

Stock Pals VP of Shit Stocks
<Gold Donor>
LolCrypto.png

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To shit on everyone that thought BTC was better than Ethereum.

• 3Worf
  • 1Mic Drop
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users