Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Oh cool, I actually made a wise decision by putting $35k in MATIC earlier this week.

Sometimes people aren’t full of shit in the articles and posts you read. I had kept reading it had a massive amount of transactions and saw it was getting a crazy amount of adoption.

Everything I’m reading says things like MATIC are necessary for Ethereum dominance far into 2.0 rolling out.
This is what I've been seeing/reading and why I'm also in on MATIC. Right now it's the heaviest of what I consider "altcoins". (I consider ETH and BTC a different class, and hold more of both of those than MATIC)

A good example, say if 2.0 hits and it slashes gas fees by 75%, those fees will STILL be way over what you pay on the Polygon network. As such MATIC might end up being a key to the retail/beginner investor entering the space. Those people who are chipping in $100 or $200 per paycheck.

You guys think it's a bad time to get some MATIC? I was looking at it earlier and it's on a bit of a hill. It also looks like it's been hovering in this space for a few days though, so I got the impression it's trending up rather than dipping. Waiting to see what develops but I'm pretty interested.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Oh cool, I actually made a wise decision by putting $35k in MATIC earlier this week.

Sometimes people aren’t full of shit in the articles and posts you read. I had kept reading it had a massive amount of transactions and saw it was getting a crazy amount of adoption.

Everything I’m reading says things like MATIC are necessary for Ethereum dominance far into 2.0 rolling out.
Where do you guys normally go for this sort of info? I'm new to it all and am just really trying to figure it all out

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
You guys think it's a bad time to get some MATIC? I was looking at it earlier and it's on a bit of a hill. It also looks like it's been hovering in this space for a few days though, so I got the impression it's trending up rather than dipping. Waiting to see what develops but I'm pretty interested.
I bought at 70 cents last week. People are predicting anywhere from $2.5-5 by end of year.

Always risky to buy at a new ATH I would think, but obviously over time it’ll continue to rise.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I bought at 70 cents last week. People are predicting anywhere from $2.5-5 by end of year.

Always risky to buy at a new ATH I would think, but obviously over time it’ll continue to rise.

Yeah, buying at ATHs has been nothing but trouble the couple of times I did it. Problem is sometimes an ATH looks more like an ascent-in-progress, and all it takes is some bad timing to get something right before it spikes downward. MATIC hasn't really shown any signs of paperhandsy investors from looking at it though, at least not lately. I've got a lot in VET and can spread some of that around. Too intimidated by Eth's $3800 price to jump back into it yet (this post will age badly). I keep expecting a dip, except Eth is so dip-resistant that it just isn't happening.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, buying at ATHs has been nothing but trouble the couple of times I did it. Problem is sometimes an ATH looks more like an ascent-in-progress, and all it takes is some bad timing to get something right before it spikes downward. MATIC hasn't really shown any signs of paperhandsy investors from looking at it though, at least not lately. I've got a lot in VET and can spread some of that around. Too intimidated by Eth's $3800 price to jump back into it yet (this post will age badly). I keep expecting a dip, except Eth is so dip-resistant that it just isn't happening.
One of the reasons I was looking at both MATIC and Solana before that was they seemed nearly immune to the big dips in Bitcoin and Ethereum. I think that one day recently where BTC went down $4500 MATIC was actually up that day along with Solana. Not sure if there's necessarily anything to glean from that observation but I kept noticing it never trends downwards that much even with the market as a whole does.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I bought in with 1k

If my math is right, that's a 233k return. Siiiiiiick.

Anyone with a time machine or an almanac and $10,000 could go back to last December and basically be a millionaire right now. And the kicker is that they could have done that with any number of coins, since so many have blown up. Something like AAVE going parabolic and making a 600x return for one day is another big example. Heck, with enough micromanaging and being on top of those almanac numbers/dates, "millionaire" might be severely lowballing the potential of the last few months.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>

Anyone with a time machine or an almanac and $10,000 could go back to last December and basically be a millionaire right now. And the kicker is that they could have done that with any number of coins, since so many have blown up. Something like AAVE going parabolic and making a 600x return for one day is another big example. Heck, with enough micromanaging and being on top of those almanac numbers/dates, "millionaire" might be severely lowballing the potential of the last few months.

yeah, I’m putting almost all of it at my house (assuming it ever closes ugh) with a chunk set aside for taxes.

it’s a pretty cool feeling, I don’t come from much money nor work a career that’s very lucrative so, it’s been an exciting 24 hours for me.

• 8Like
  • 1Tendies
Reactions: 8 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
One of the reasons I was looking at both MATIC and Solana before that was they seemed nearly immune to the big dips in Bitcoin and Ethereum. I think that one day recently where BTC went down $4500 MATIC was actually up that day along with Solana. Not sure if there's necessarily anything to glean from that observation but I kept noticing it never trends downwards that much even with the market as a whole does.

Yeah, I was studying the history for any major dips and...there really aren't any. You don't see those "lack of confidence" mini-crashes like you do with VET all the time, which is reassuring.

Well, I just split half my VET off to MATIC. Helps that VET itself was up almost 10% over my last re-buy-in and I had more to go around than ever. I got MATIC during a slight slump at 97 cents (.971 to be precise and I sprang) and it's already back at 99 cents. Very cool.

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I got lucky and got matic at 37 cents in april. Only reason I say lucky is because I had no idea what it was and had 1000 dollars sitting in my account not doing anything and just rolled the dice on it.

Fadaar

That guy

Shoot you put $10k into that AAVE back in October you're looking at between $9M and $10M right now. Doge at $0.0002 in 2017 with that same amount would be $37M if you sold off at the mid 70's high.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
yeah, I’m putting almost all of it at my house (assuming it ever closes ugh) with a chunk set aside for taxes.

it’s a pretty cool feeling, I don’t come from much money nor work a career that’s very lucrative so, it’s been an exciting 24 hours for me.

i think the worst thing you could possibly do with that money is try to pay off as much of a house as possible. thats the last place you should be putting that money in

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nah, investing isn't for everyone. Making a quick buck to relieve pressure on bills is a perfectly acceptable usecase of crypto. Maybe their life is going to change through working up the corporate ladder and becoming management. You can only spot a safe bet in hindsight, why would you put your money into Aave when YFI was the hot thing? Why would you put your money in Dogecoin when Bitcoin is the hot thing?

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Not gonna begrudge a guy doing well and meeting a big goal. 100% home ownership is still a pretty instilled line of thought and pushed hard by Ramsey and a lot of others. It isn’t what I plan on doing but if you aren’t comfortable or in to investing and feel better just having your house paid off. Go for it. Be smart with the extra cash you’ve got from not having a payment.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
I'd get a house but I don't want all that responsibility and upkeep by myself. Sure I've pissed away $1k+ per month for nearly 7 years now in an apartment but I can pack up and leave without having to worry if need be.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
It's like that Norwegian guy who was interviewed a couple of years back when Bitcoin was around 18k. Dude had bought $25 worth of it while writing a report on this new crypto thing a few months after it went live. Forgot about it then cashed a good chunk in to buy a studio apartment in one of the nicest parts of Oslo. Prolly at least $500k worth. Did he do right, or should he have held on and had an extra $1 mill or so? I say he prolly did good getting a free apartment out of it.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
My point is that at record low interest rates and record high inflation it doesnt seem to make sense to stuff a lot of cash into a mortgage debt that isnt too burdensome by interest rate and will be made less and less burdensome as inflation makes the debt worth less and less.

I would put the cash into something that will grow reliably and safely to keep ahead of inflation and keep that money making money like ETH or BTC.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
My point is that at record low interest rates and record high inflation it doesnt seem to make sense to stuff a lot of cash into a mortgage debt that isnt too burdensome by interest rate and will be made less and less burdensome as inflation makes the debt worth less and less.

I would put the cash into something that will grow reliably and safely to keep ahead of inflation and keep that money making money like ETH or BTC.

I get your point, and it has merit. However, I'm not big in investing, I try to make a couple of bucks here and there as I can with small investments, more for something to do than anything else.

I'm not poor, but I hold no illusions that I'm in the very bottom tier of earners among the active long-term posters here (and will remain so even after I get my degree). Not having to pay $1200'ish a month for the remainder of living in this house (many years), for me, is a bigger help than anything else I can do right now and for the foreseeable future. Also, it frees up that money for other things as well and above all else, takes away one of the larger sources of stress I have in my life. Paying my bills.

Also, I'll end up having money left over. I'll end up reinvesting that most likely.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I get your point, and it has merit. However, I'm not big in investing, I try to make a couple of bucks here and there as I can with small investments, more for something to do than anything else.

I'm not poor, but I hold no illusions that I'm in the very bottom tier of earners among the active long-term posters here (and will remain so even after I get my degree). Not having to pay $1200'ish a month for the remainder of living in this house (many years), for me, is a bigger help than anything else I can do right now and for the foreseeable future. Also, it frees up that money for other things as well and above all else, takes away one of the larger sources of stress I have in my life. Paying my bills.

Also, I'll end up having money left over. I'll end up reinvesting that most likely.

Fair enough. Congrats on the win, brother.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users