Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Eliminating debt is never a bad plan. We've been in an historically ridiculous bull run that makes it seem like paying down debt is a "bad" idea. But even in times like these there is a lot to be said about not being beholden to debt like 99% of Americans are.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Honestly, if I was smart, I'd take my leftovers and throw it at my student loans.

But as my history well shows on these forums, I'm not smart.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, if I was smart, I'd take my leftovers and throw it at my student loans.

What? No

That's even worse than throwing it at a house. The student loan moratorium is still in effect, there's 0 payments required by government and no accumulating interest right now.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Not to mention the 140 IQ people in congress might just get their way and forgive all student loans. It's almost a good risk to take out 40k in student loans and somehow invest it in crypto at this point.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Not to mention the 140 IQ people in congress might just get their way and forgive all student loans. It's almost a good risk to take out 40k in student loans and somehow invest it in crypto at this point.
I woulda waited till I was graduated anyway to think about even doing that.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The most efficient thing isn't always the best. The most efficient is definitely invest the money as you're almost guaranteed to beat whatever rate is on your mortgage.

But eliminating debt and not having to worry about a place to live EVER is pretty amazing (as long as you can cover your property taxes that is). Even if everything goes to shit you don't have to worry about being homeless. There's a lot to be said for that.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Never underestimate the freedom of owning a house outright. There are plusses to being a renter but it comes with the uncertainty of not knowing what it will cost you for a roof over your head 20 years from now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Well this is derailing into general life money management. But I will admit, at one point not long ago I had one goal. Zero Debt.. Period. And I was pretty close to hitting it. No CC balances, only a mortgage and Car payment left to knock out. Then I came to a realization. If my house and car payments were on loans charging me around 3% interest, but I was able to invest money and make more than 3% then I was coming out ahead in the long run paying minimum payments to service debt and investing instead.

Later I had my eyes opened to the concept of "Buy Real Assets and never sell them". Meaning you invest in things which earn and accumulate interest/value/etc. Then as long as the financial system is handing out low (sometimes effectively negative interest rate loans when you take actual inflation into consideration) you borrow money, only pay what's necessary, and let your assets keep getting bigger/more valuable.

For instance, medium term goal for Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus and I is to move out of Dallas, get at least an hour out of town to somewhere with some land and remote enough I don't have to worry about neighbors if I want to do some hunting/target shooting on my land. We could sell our current house for pretty close to enough to pay off this note, and still outright buy a place in the country. (Bought our house in 2001 and houses in my neck of town are going for 4x what I paid back then). But looking at it, that feels like I'm giving up potential assets. Instead, I plan on playing the crypto market enough to parlay my "marginal fun money" into a sizable enough down payment for the next house. Keep this one and rent it out. I can't see a future where outside temporary downturns the real estate market in Dallas would decline in value, so this house is a value accruing asset. Optimal place "in the country" would be somewhere that the inevitable crawl of suburban expansion get to our country place just in time for me to be ready to fully retire from the work world. Repeat process, buy lands further out, develop/rent our country land. (At that point I'll probably be swallowing my pride and moving into Oklahoma. heh)

But also having been raised by my depression era grandparents I can definitely see what the allure and personal value would be just outright owning your home, and will never fault a person for wanting that as it's a level of "Mazlowe Level Security" the VAST majority of our society will never feel.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Don’t forget to save a bunch for taxes...

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
After one day looking at houses in Charleston, SC, holy fucking shit the housing market is trash.

Two months ago an area that sold $450k houses on average are all $625k.

The realtor told us that one year ago there were 6,000 houses on the market and now there are 1,500. How do you buy a house in this market???

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
After one day looking at houses in Charleston, SC, holy fucking shit the housing market is trash.

Two months ago an area that sold $450k houses on average are all $625k.

The realtor told us that one year ago there were 6,000 houses on the market and now there are 1,500. How do you buy a house in this market???
You dont. with the Federal judge throwing out eviction foreclosure moratorium nation-wide, the best play is to wait a year or so if you can.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!

Haus

<Silver Donator>
You dont. with the Federal judge throwing out eviction foreclosure moratorium nation-wide, the best play is to wait a year or so if you can.

Sounds horribly predatory... But yeah... wait until the foreclosure moratoriums are gone, then however long it takes to evict people in your state, then look for the bank auctions.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sounds horribly predatory...
yes GIF

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sounds horribly predatory... But yeah... wait until the foreclosure moratoriums are gone, then however long it takes to evict people in your state, then look for the bank auctions.

More scavenger-like than predatory, but you shouldn't feel bad either way. You are doing absolutely nothing to cause the situation and it's going to happen regardless of what you do.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Why haven't one of you nerds created FurorCoin yet? Turn two and snap the fuck to it already.

If one of us created FurorCoin and it was adopted by 40 other people, it'd somehow make CNN as "Far-right 'nazi coin' created by message board extremists taking the internet by storm"

Haus

<Silver Donator>
If one of us created FurorCoin and it was adopted by 40 other people, it'd somehow make CNN as "Far-right 'nazi coin' created by message board extremists taking the internet by storm"
So... we create a coin which has a built in smartcontract to burn fees in order to maintain scarcity. In fact, we have a policy to burn fees so that at any point in time 13% of the wallets will own 50% of the coins. We will operate on the PoT (Proof of Tits) validation mechanism, and our cross chain bridge will be the "FedorGate"

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Blown

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I wanted to buy a house around here but they're all 1.5 million dollars.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Grats to everyone that got into Truebit under a dollar. Might never come again.

• 1Tendies