Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The only thing particularly interesting about NFTs is that you can use the technology to track fractional ownership of a contract, like a title or a deed, without a centralized ledger or escrow system.

The applications for decentralized escrow services could get quite large.

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
NFTs are like electric vehicles, sounds good on paper, but with out a massive government push no one or any institution with power gives a fuck.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Or, literally, a smart contract -- NFTs as governance tokens are gaining popularity.

Can you elaborate on “gaining popularity”? Apart from NBA trading cards and internet images are there governments adopting NFT’s?

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Germany is looking into issuing vaccine passports as an NFT I believe, but that's not what a governance token means. Governance tokens give you special privileges within a DAO - usually voting rights, but like SushiSwap gives you a portion of the fees platform wide. These tokens are usually implemented as ERC-20s, thus making every person who owns one of those tokens an equal in the eyes of the protocol, but recently people have been looking at implementing them via ERC-721. I'm unaware of any project currently using them, but NFT development is still pretty young all things considered. Uniswap just switched over and I suspect it will take a little bit for the rest of the ecosystem to catch up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
(probably fake) Truebit up 6 cents everything else down! IM RICH BITCH!

TrueBit isn't fake. Man, when it comes to all things crypto, confidence levels of folks in this thread really faceplanted this week. WE'RE GONNA MAKE IT.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Germany is looking into issuing vaccine passports as an NFT I believe, but that's not what a governance token means. Governance tokens give you special privileges within a DAO - usually voting rights, but like SushiSwap gives you a portion of the fees platform wide. These tokens are usually implemented as ERC-20s, thus making every person who owns one of those tokens an equal in the eyes of the protocol, but recently people have been looking at implementing them via ERC-721. I'm unaware of any project currently using them, but NFT development is still pretty young all things considered. Uniswap just switched over and I suspect it will take a little bit for the rest of the ecosystem to catch up.

Uniswap seems pretty cool outside the high fees, is there any reason to own their coin?

TrueBit isn't fake. Man, when it comes to all things crypto, confidence levels of folks in this thread really faceplanted this week. WE'RE GONNA MAKE IT.

It was a joke based on me fearing I bought the fake version of Truebit. It's up to almost 45 cents now! Backing my money trucks up as we speak!

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Dogecoin is running on nearly the exact same technical specification as Bitcoin, so if you don't think that underlying tech is worth anything then Bitcoin being worth $36k is the more unbelievable meme here.
Dogecoin doesn't even have Segwit, which was a 2017 addition to BTC. Dogecoin won't have Taproot which is weeks away. These are not trivial additions. Bitcoin has also had a lot of upgrades to the core software to make it more robust and to sync the blockchain faster. Bitcoin core has a lot more commits and pull requests than Ethereum's go repo, so they're obviously doing something.

Using your logic, I could just as easily say Binance coin is 'running on nearly the exact same technical specification as Ethereum' because they forked it from Ethereum just like Doge is a fork of a fork of Bitcoin and they sacrificed decentralization for TX throughput like LTC/Doge. Since it's all open source, any coin can copy code from each other. To criticize bitcoin (or any open source coin) because somebody cloned it is dumb. Obviously shitcoins are all over the place because children in their basements can clone bitcoin.

Doge is merge mined and has a fraction of the hash rate making it far, far less secure; doesn't have nearly as many nodes; doesn't have the community bitcoin has to make sure something dumb doesn't happen to it it various ways; doesn't have the adoption level; is far more concentrated because Litecoin miners merge mined it forever for extra free shitcoins; etc. That's the stuff that matters.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Uniswap seems pretty cool outside the high fees, is there any reason to own their coin?

It was a joke based on me fearing I bought the fake version of Truebit. It's up to almost 45 cents now! Backing my money trucks up as we speak!

Not really on Uniswap coin.

Binance Coin has potential for Binance users because it can be used to pay fees (at lower rates than USD), and it seems to have some growth potential with a limited cap on how many coins there are. Not a bad thing to get if you want more targets.

And yeah I get what you mean now, the fake version of TrueBit is unfortunately floating around. I think there's also a stock called TRU with a similar name or something like that.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
matic 96 cents...
We need to do wellness checks on anyone?

Yeah, I haven't even been looking at it. Selling now and losing 10% of my initial investment plus the entirety of my profits is a no from me, dawg. I'll check in with it every so often and see if anything rebounded. It's actually good that my Friday bonus check got delayed because I was going to invest it, and it looks like we weren't at the bottom yet.

All of this stuff (mainly the guesswork) is a lot of stress, so I'm probably just going to leave it completely alone aside from buys. At this point I'm looking at the end of the year, a year from now, five years out, etc as my goals rather than any kind of short-term profit.

It is funny how I finally stopped wheeling and dealing because so many people kept asking me why I didn't just hold onto things. Yeah, some of the wheeling and dealing didn't turn out great, but I moved money around as a hedge against missing out on profit opportunities like this one. I finally stop doing that and go into "hold mode" and it got me nowhere when I could have sold/rebought many times over at this point with things falling the way they have. Usually selling on Monday and buying on Saturday will net you a few % gain, but on this particular week it's more like +200% on a lot of things.

sell sell sell

Leaning into it and buying during this crash while having some perspective could turn out pretty well, depending on how soon it stabilizes.

Main lesson in all of this for me is: If it seems like a bubble (aka spikes that are too good to be true) it's probably a bubble, and cashing out might be wise at that point if only to wait and see if a crash follows (which it seems to, almost always...look at the AAVE parabolic spike).

I went all USDC on Friday night. I don’t even think I’m going to rebuy at these prices at the moment until things stabilize.

That's probably a smart idea. I should have stayed out at $1.60 and rebought around here (or whenever it hits a bounce). I think the entire market is in freefall, like all resistance points got broken-through. The January GME crowd inflation is probably what we're seeing here, they're all bailing and thus things are correcting to where they would have been without that crowd pouring in. Just a theory here.

Also I think the prices will be lower for a while because the mainstream support isn't there after the fusillade of propaganda as of late. We still have a lot of solid protocols on the way and better adoption and so forth that will drive up the value, but Joe Normie is now terrified of crypto and that could be a very large obstacle.

• 1Solidarity

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dogecoin doesn't even have Segwit, which was a 2017 addition to BTC. Dogecoin won't have Taproot which is weeks away. These are not trivial additions. Bitcoin has also had a lot of upgrades to the core software to make it more robust and to sync the blockchain faster. Bitcoin core has a lot more commits and pull requests than Ethereum's go repo, so they're obviously doing something.

Why do you feel that Segwit increases the value of what Bitcoin provides over Dogecoin? There's a whole culture of programmers who think Segwit is a travesty, and it's still not fully adopted by the Bitcoin community four years later. Taproot isn't even out yet, let alone adopted, so I sincerely doubt that's driving the value disparity here. They are both running distributed ledgers secured by Nakamoto consensus, so while you may think the technical differences between these two blockchains is massive that's only because you've sold yourself a lie that Bitcoin is the end-all be-all blockchain.

BSC is not secured by the same consensus mechanism as Ethereum, nor will it ever be, and is a definitively centralized blockchain, which is where it draws nearly 100% of its criticism. If you believe that Dogecoin achieves a similar level of centralization vs Bitcoin, you're lying to yourself.