Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
So you’re saying I shouldn’t do what this man is doing, yet? 🤔🤔

Oh I'm very much in favor of taking custody of your keys! I've just found over time that a person is less likely to do so the more in the weeds they get with all the technicalities.

A simple custody solution is more than sufficient, important part is getting your coin out of someone else's pocket and into your own. You can always improve it later.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

You can also engrave it with graphite on sheets of dry wood pulp
but use acid free paper, and store it someplace fireproof.

That is of course the reason for the seemingly crazy steel engraving.
If you want to store your seed phrase, you want to store it in such a way it won't naturally deteriorate, or be destroyed by fire/water in an emergency.

Many pens are organic inks which will decompose and lose visibility. Pencil is better for this.
Paper is of course subject to fire, water, and acid oxidation. you can get acid free paper, which won't yellow, and reject the ink/graphic. but fire/water still a concern.

galvanized Steel, stone, gold. these three materials can survive water, oxidation, and fire.

pencil/acid free paper in a fire proof safe. obviously one of the more simple solutions. I don't actually know how well tested the fireproofing on safe's actually is. water is still an concern potentially.

safety deposit box at the bank. bank vault I would expect to be pretty fire/water proof. tornado proof? Are they internally sabotage proof? if someone took lighter fluid into the vault, and intentionally lit a fire in there, what would happen?

sure at small values it sounds like overkill. but when we start talking about 100,200k, 1m+ you are going to want some assurances and backups. also, start splitting it up. 100k in one bank value, 100k in another.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
safety deposit box at the bank. bank vault I would expect to be pretty fire/water proof. tornado proof? Are they internally sabotage proof? if someone took lighter fluid into the vault, and intentionally lit a fire in there, what would happen?
Worth keeping in mind that it is trivial for an internal bad actor to open a safety deposit box, copy a seed phrase and close it. Sure you can use some tamper evident sealing strategies, but that won't give you your coin back. I understand the draw to a safety deposit box, I just wouldn't suggest it personally. Perhaps that's a bit paranoid though, just my perspective on it

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Just set up recurring weekly buys of $50 via river. River seems to have zero fees when you sign up for DCA. Now I’m wondering if I should have done monthly purchases or if it doesn’t even make a difference since river doesn’t charge a set fee and maybe the transaction fee is negligible? Then again with the amount of price fluctuations Im wondering if daily smaller purchases could pan out better. Seeing advocates online for both ways..

Also it would seem a bad idea to transfer small amounts of BTC to my hardware wallet. From my understanding over time this would generate a ton of UXTOs which would incur a larger transaction fee if I were to go sell in the future. However I think this may only be for extreme cases.

Flobee Flobee any thoughts on DCA intervals and at what point to transfer to hw wallet? Since my DCA amount is rather low I’m wondering if going by time instead of amount would be more prudent for transferring, say doing a transfer to hw wallet every 1 month?

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I get the hard wallet for 1 mil+ amounts, but honestly why not sell and life a good life at that point? But a hard wallet for DCA or 10k? Just go with a long standing name like Binance or Coin(god I hate them but at least they are public traded so chances of complete fraud are lower). I mean, I have 1mil+ in my retirement accounts at fidelity and I’m not worried I’ll wake up one day and it will be gone.

for any of these coins to become normal they must get over that hurdle.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

should note also, if you ARE going to keep crypto on exchanges, or hotwallets. the same idea applies. don't keep it all in one place.

ah, the long standing traditional firm of Binance. founded in 2017. moved its holdings, and offices through 6 countries in 5 years.
very trustworthy.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Flobee Flobee any thoughts on DCA intervals and at what point to transfer to hw wallet? Since my DCA amount is rather low I’m wondering if going by time instead of amount would be more prudent for transferring, say doing a transfer to hw wallet every 1 month?
Fat UTXO's are going to be best to future proof yourself. 1 million sat minimum is probably a good rule of thumb, others would be comfortable with significantly smaller UTXOs it really depends on how you think the fee market will develop in the future. Short post here that can be helpful for figuring this out. Personally I would go for a minimum sat amount rather than time, but it really depends on your goals, how much you're investing, and how you plan on managing it. UTXO management is one of the more advanced aspects of BTC custody and there are a lot of factors worth considering. The chart used in that link is a good measuring stick for UTXO size. I would just reiterate not to over complicate it though, if 50k sat UTXO's are what make sense to you then by all means do it, just understand the risks and have a plan. There are costs and benefits to any approach here.

Rangoth Rangoth the value proposition of Bitcoin requires self custody. It is -very- different than your 401k at Fidelity and is valuable for very different reasons. Trusting Fidelity with the 401k is not the same as trusting regulated scammers like Coinbase or Binance. The underlying assets are completely different fundamentally. A rogue employee at Fidelity can't in any realistic way steal all of your Tesla stock because it can only move within the regulated system. Bitcoin can't be controlled in that way, thus it has a completely different value proposition and risk profile to securities.

• 1Hodjing
  • 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Fat UTXO's are going to be best to future proof yourself. 1 million sat minimum is probably a good rule of thumb, others would be comfortable with significantly smaller UTXOs it really depends on how you think the fee market will develop in the future. Short post here that can be helpful for figuring this out. Personally I would go for a minimum sat amount rather than time, but it really depends on your goals, how much you're investing, and how you plan on managing it. UTXO management is one of the more advanced aspects of BTC custody and there are a lot of factors worth considering. The chart used in that link is a good measuring stick for UTXO size. I would just reiterate not to over complicate it though, if 50k sat UTXO's are what make sense to you then by all means do it, just understand the risks and have a plan. There are costs and benefits to any approach here.

Rangoth Rangoth the value proposition of Bitcoin requires self custody. It is -very- different than your 401k at Fidelity and is valuable for very different reasons. Trusting Fidelity with the 401k is not the same as trusting regulated scammers like Coinbase or Binance. The underlying assets are completely different fundamentally. A rogue employee at Fidelity can't in any realistic way steal all of your Tesla stock because it can only move within the regulated system. Bitcoin can't be controlled in that way, thus it has a completely different value proposition and risk profile to securities.
From my understanding I can also consolidate the UXTOs on my Trezor, which is an option - pay the fees now if I think they’ll go up in the future. I think you’re right though - don’t overcomplicate it right now. DCA it and pick a sat number to decide to do transfers to my wallet.

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
so trivial that literally no one is doing it
I do it all the time. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Also something being trivially easy doesn't mean it is common

Last edited:
  • 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
so trivial that literally no one is doing it
IMG_6298.gif

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I do it all the time. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Also something being trivially easy doesn't mean it is common

I agree its trivial. Thats the issue. That fact combined with statistically zero adaptation seems like an issue.

• 1WTF
  • 1Seriously?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Well yeah when you move to a shithole country that has currency worth less than toilet paper, I guess that bitcoin starts making sense.

Imagine having the option to decouple from USD manipulation.

I agree w your point, but you’re also being a faggot about it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Imagine having the option to decouple from USD manipulation.

I agree w your point, but you’re also being a faggot about it.
If a significant portion of Bitcoin speculation is due to investors trying to protect themselves from dollar fuckery, can you really say it's decoupled?

Honest question, I'm probably wrong. What would the price of Bitcoin be if M1 supply hadn't gone to the moon?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
If a significant portion of Bitcoin speculation is due to investors trying to protect themselves from dollar fuckery, can you really say it's decoupled?

Honest question, I'm probably wrong. What would the price of Bitcoin be if M1 supply hadn't gone to the moon?

Asked a different way, “Would BTC have as much utility if we didn’t need a deflationary currency?”

In short, of course not.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Well yeah when you move to a shithole country that has currency worth less than toilet paper, I guess that bitcoin starts making sense.
Yeah Mist, it sure looks like a real shithole country from this video. Do you find saying that ironic having lived in California and never traveled outside it? Projection much?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I don't see the point of using BTC as everyday currency. Do you buy common goods with gold?